Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 06:22 AM

11,083 posts, read 17,527,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post
Jake, no matter what branch you choose - don't let them pressure you into signing until you're ready. Do your research - find out what you can get and what your prospects really are. Ask around about signing bonuses, jobs, deployment, contract length, etc. Ask other soldiers - not just the recruiter.
My son-in-law was an Army recruiter for 4 years. He has always said the same thing. Don't just talk to the recruiter. They are there for a commission.
I have another son-in-law who is retiring this year from the Air Force. He's got 20 years and Army SIL has 12. Army promotes quicker because Army SIL is the same rank as Air Force SIL. But the Air Force doesn't move you around as much. In the Air Force, he has been in Minot, N.D., South Carolina, and Georgia, in 20 years. That's just duty stations. He's been to Korea twice, Bosnia twice, Desert Storm, and 4 trips to Iraq and Afghanistan. Army SIL has moved every 3-4 years, including 3 years in Germany. He's been deployed once but expects another trip in the next year or so.
I can just about guarantee you that you will get a nice tour of the "big sand box" (Iraq) no matter what branch you join.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2009, 10:47 AM

2,189 posts, read 7,699,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
My son-in-law was an Army recruiter for 4 years. He has always said the same thing. Don't just talk to the recruiter. They are there for a commission.
I have another son-in-law who is retiring this year from the Air Force. He's got 20 years and Army SIL has 12. Army promotes quicker because Army SIL is the same rank as Air Force SIL. But the Air Force doesn't move you around as much. In the Air Force, he has been in Minot, N.D., South Carolina, and Georgia, in 20 years. That's just duty stations. He's been to Korea twice, Bosnia twice, Desert Storm, and 4 trips to Iraq and Afghanistan. Army SIL has moved every 3-4 years, including 3 years in Germany. He's been deployed once but expects another trip in the next year or so.
I can just about guarantee you that you will get a nice tour of the "big sand box" (Iraq) no matter what branch you join.
Like I always say, it's about odds, nothing is definate...

You also want to determine what kind of a life do you want to have. I work with the Army and am Air Force...The few Army Units I deal with all are kind of the same...When an Army guys talks to another Army guy about something luxurious, they always hear "I got news for you, you're not in the Air Force!" They also talk very "militar-erly", saying "roger" and "ho-ray" seemingly every sentence. I also find them to talk very disrespectfully to eachother. Never is it "get this done"...It seems to be "get up off your a$$ and do XXX" Something to think to about.

Old 06-11-2009, 11:04 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJagMan View Post

You also want to determine what kind of a life do you want to have. I work with the Army and am Air Force...The few Army Units I deal with all are kind of the same...When an Army guys talks to another Army guy about something luxurious, they always hear "I got news for you, you're not in the Air Force!" They also talk very "militar-erly", saying "roger" and "ho-ray" seemingly every sentence. I also find them to talk very disrespectfully to eachother. Never is it "get this done"...It seems to be "get up off your a$$ and do XXX" Something to think to about.
Yes, too many changing variables...

I am retired Army, was stationed at two Air Force Bases, my two children where born on an Air Force Base. My daughter was sent to an Air Force Base to receive medical treatment.

Until I have time to think of some witty things in response to the remainder of your post, I will just say hoorah!!!

Old 06-11-2009, 11:08 AM

1,763 posts, read 7,332,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
You better talk to him again. No military recruiters get any "commission." If they do well above standards they may get military awards and recognition. They are there for the MISSION. That is "processing qualified applicants for enlistment."

To the thread starter:

1- go make sure you're qualified
2- pick a service based on whatever
3- enlist

I'm retired Army and did a tour as a recruiter, and honestly, if you were in my office to join right now and qualified I would tell you "You will get to select from a list of jobs that are open to you. You're joining the Army, not a job skill."

While most won't admit it, that is the truth for any branch of service you join. All offer some sort of job selection, but you can't just walk in and pick exactly what you want. The Army has a very slight edge on job choice "in the contract" becuase of the sheer size of the Army and how accessions is run. But honestly, pick an general field and just go join up. If it sucks when you get there, just ride it out. I suggest Infantry or Armor for all able bodied males. See if you can get that.

(Edit: Yes, at times, applicants get lucky and the job they wanted and qualified for is open, but to go enlist with your mind set on "just one job" is not going to work out well -- unless you pick Infantry)

Old 06-11-2009, 12:43 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,895,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJagMan View Post

When I was in the inauguration earlier this yr I saw this 1st hand. this was a practice day. I was part of the joint force section right by the capitol. There was an army 1stsgt briefing us towards the end of the day. It was cold, we had been up for hours, we had been dealing with the "do it that way, no, do it this way, no do it that way" that usually comes w/ joint force assignments. This Army guy asked the Army 1stsgt if he could smoke. The Army 1stsgt said "yeah, smoke yourself" and made this guy do push-ups. embarassed him in front of every other service and God. For no reason.

Old 06-12-2009, 01:15 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,855,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake_Going_Going_Gone View Post
Bolded text is right to the point if you dont feel like reading about me

A little about me; Hi my names Jake i live in SW Florida. I have one year experience of college credits(23) and i recently left my university last fall because of money and lack of effort issues. Ive lived on my own with the help of relatives and friends since i was 17, Been through maybe 7 jobs in those 3 years, and have lived in 5 different places. Ive put my self in a position where i dont have a job and cant afford where i live. I want to join the military, either the Air Force or the Navy. My grandfather was in the AF and was very successful, You could say he was a legend in his day. My dad was in the Navy and now is a 20 pt disabled Vetran.

Im not sure which branch i would like to join and ive talked to an AF recruiter before and took the practice asvab, scored above average. I plan on seeing our local Navy recuriter on Monday. Ive been searching the internet for Enlisted Jobs in the Navy and AF. I really want to travel the world, but i have no idea what jobs really travel the world. Like i said before im single, have no obligations excpet some debt. Ive thought about being a realtor. I dont have any skills that point out or anything, atleast i havnt learned them yet. All i know is that i really want to travel and i would really like my career in the military to help me become very succesful in the civilian world.

Sorry im really just saying whats on my mind, dint think this post through at all. If u can help me in anyway i would greatly aprceiate it! Feel free to ask me questions, and ill try my best to answer them
Well, if ya gonna join, go with the corps, and try to get on Embassy Duty. Do you speak any language other than English? If not, you're pretty much S.O.L. One other thing, they may not lie...exactly, but, pay --- VERY --- close attention to the way they word things.

Old 06-12-2009, 03:54 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,349,956 times
No doubt I am as biased as the next person, but I think you should seriously look into the Coast Guard. They go everywhere the other branches go and then some. Because their mission is normally different, but they do see combat too, IMHO you have a wider range of career opportunites and experiences to explore. Because they are the smallest service branch, they are picky about who can enlist, they only take the best. Check them out.

UNITED STATES COAST GUARD:

Old 06-12-2009, 10:11 PM

2,631 posts, read 5,453,943 times
if you haven't already, go see recruiters from each of the services. ask specifics about what kind of jobs you can get with test scores like yours.

also, if travel is the biggest reason you are thinking of enlisting, there are better ways to go see the world. if career training is indeed a higher priority on your list, have at it. just don't expect a party.

Old 06-13-2009, 11:56 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,550,413 times
Since you have your aim at Navy or AF all I can say is that I have written some suggestions for people asking enlisting questions in this forum. Some of the suggestion I believe apply regardless of what branch you join.

However, if travel is a key factor, I do think Army is the way to go. There are more assignments around the world then the other services. That is my impression.

However, I believe education encouragement is better in the Navy I believe. Not, that you cannot get education in the Army. But I just get the impression the Navy's promotion system is more tied to schooling.

If you end up thinking Army, then contact me. I would be glad to assist you. I tell you what I have written before in other threads in this forum. I am not a recruiter that will try to convince you to enlist. I will just give you the good the bad and the ugly and how I dealt with all three.

I am still an Army active duty Sergeant Major and have served for the last 31 years and I am glad to be of assistance if you need me.

You havea great day.
El Amigo

Old 06-13-2009, 02:31 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,895,302 times
I'll throw my hat into the ring as well. I'm graduating from Marine Basic Recruiter's Course next week. I can answer any questions you may have. The Marines are actually the hardest service to get into right now. We are screening to disqualify. The Corps was being increased to 202K but reached it's goal a full yr early. As a result they are now being extremely picky.

As far as travel, the main Marine bases are in Japan, California,Hawaii and NC, with a few here and there in between. The Marines also have the MEU Marine Expeditionary Unit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia . With these you'll be hitting ports in Asia, Mediterranean and Australia, depending on where you are stationed. Also there is Marine Security Guard, where you could be stationed in any country that the US has an embassy. Despite what an above poster said, you don't have to speak another lanaguage.

The Marines actually stress education more than any other branch. As a result, it has more enlisted with degrees than any other service, has more prior enlisted officers than any other branch, and may even relate to the fact that a disproportionate number of fortune 500 companies are either ran or headed by former Marines. As far as educational benefits (100% tuition assistance while on active duty, MGIB) I believe they are the same in all of the services.

You didn't really mention education, so I'm not going to go into more detail unless you want me to.

I will say this about the jobs, the Army & the Marines are the only ones that can pretty much guarantee you the job you want. The other services let you pick a field, but they are real broad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues