Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 07:25 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,306 posts, read 8,652,146 times

Advertisements

Young single man, want to see the world, Join the Navy and ask for West Coast Guarantee, Want some memories, go on West Pack and sail into P.I. ahhhhhhhh (they love you long time)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2009, 06:10 AM

2,189 posts, read 7,699,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southern by choice View Post
Study your butt off and get a good score, and then insist on a good specialty, the space systems program, or linguist...something that will be extremely beneficial to your future.
I know if the air force, to qualify for linguist you need to pass the DLAB, which to my understanding you can't study for...It's you either know it or you don't. While Linguist has one of the highest bonuses, it's one of the most undermanned jobs, long and frequent deployments which could translate to getting deployed to bare base/tent cities vs "the good life". Point to the OP is, do your research for all jobs...I think you can choose a job in all branches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali BassMan View Post
Young single man, want to see the world, Join the Navy and ask for West Coast Guarantee, Want some memories, go on West Pack and sail into P.I. ahhhhhhhh (they love you long time)
Nice, lol. Not that had to find a hooker on the east coast, though

Old 07-03-2009, 09:01 AM

133 posts, read 534,402 times
Ultimately what is available at the time factors in the most, you know the old saying, "the needs of the armed forces...." If you are in ROTC, I have seen the top graduates get what they asked for ( usually the covetted aviation branch ) . Again, if youre enlisted, a high ASVAB score will get you a good job, but from what Ive seen of my son's friends who were in ROTC ( Auburn, Ole Miss ), they got their assignments according to their strengths, as well. So it really pays to study and work hard. The top grads get the best assignments.
Unless things have changed recently, this is the way its always been. When my husband was an army aviator, the best and the brightest got the best opportunities ( assignments, jet training etc ).
Our son missed only one on the ASVAB and they offered him 3 wonderful sounding opportunities. He decided to take the language aptitude test and passed. He was halfway through bootcamp when he was assigned Chinese. They bought him in to an office for career counseling and every time one of them spoke, he said " I want Chinese ". He never wavered, and he got his wish. Course, he had the benefit of his Dad's experience as an army officer guiding him...he'd been told over and over again, don't commit hastily, hold out and insist on a language that will open doors for you on the outside, dont let them pressure you........
Good luck !

Old 07-03-2009, 01:22 PM

3 posts, read 12,802 times
hello Jake
It's good that you want to serve your country and I think you love it so much. But in this profession there are many risks and even your life. I live in Iraq, and that half of the people do not do not want the good of the US military? ", I encourage you to join the army and I hope to hear of the find. And I also want to join the US military

Old 07-06-2009, 02:29 PM

2 posts, read 5,875 times
I am a new 2d Lt in the Air Force.... I've met a lot of people your age (my age) here at our "Rainbow Camp" as we like to call it (Air and Space Basic Course). A bunch are prior enlisted who have served their country as airmen and sergeants and wanted to pursue their career as an officer.

My suggestions for you is definitely the Air Force. They will take care of you better than any other branch, and you don't get stuck on a boat for 6 months.

If you can get the money, do ROTC in college and be an officer. If you can't afford it and cannot get a scholarship (Air Force is very competitive), then I would suggest to enlist (I believe the committment is 2 years at a time). They will help you pay for college and you get to see the world depending on what job you get.

Then, after 2 years, if you like it, you can either reenlist and stay within the enlisted ranks, or take their "help with college" offer, get your undergrad and do rotc at the same time (or focus on getting your degree, then to OTS) to become an officer.

Old 07-06-2009, 03:19 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,217,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
The Marines are actually the hardest service to get into right now. We are screening to disqualify. The Corps was being increased to 202K but reached it's goal a full yr early. As a result they are now being extremely picky.
You've drank too much of the Koolaid, USMC hardest branch to get into?

All services are being picky now but any qualified person can get into the USMC at the moment. There are two ongoing combat operations in the world where Marines are in need if you haven't been watching the news.

Now the USN and USAF are another story. I'm a Navy Recruiter and am turning qualified people away every day because we don't have a position for them. Many of whom I introduce to my USMC neighbor (Recruiter) and he is happy to put them in the Corps.

Old 07-07-2009, 11:35 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,528,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwrighto View Post
I am a new 2d Lt in the Air Force.... I've met a lot of people your age (my age) here at our "Rainbow Camp" as we like to call it (Air and Space Basic Course). A bunch are prior enlisted who have served their country as airmen and sergeants and wanted to pursue their career as an officer.

My suggestions for you is definitely the Air Force. They will take care of you better than any other branch, and you don't get stuck on a boat for 6 months.

If you can get the money, do ROTC in college and be an officer. If you can't afford it and cannot get a scholarship (Air Force is very competitive), then I would suggest to enlist (I believe the committment is 2 years at a time). They will help you pay for college and you get to see the world depending on what job you get.

Then, after 2 years, if you like it, you can either reenlist and stay within the enlisted ranks, or take their "help with college" offer, get your undergrad and do rotc at the same time (or focus on getting your degree, then to OTS) to become an officer.
And the first thing you do, Sir, is find yourself some good NCOs to keep you out of trouble! (Best of luck in your career and thanks for choosing USAF!

Old 07-08-2009, 12:26 PM

2,631 posts, read 5,453,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
You've drank too much of the Koolaid, USMC hardest branch to get into?

All services are being picky now but any qualified person can get into the USMC at the moment. There are two ongoing combat operations in the world where Marines are in need if you haven't been watching the news.

Now the USN and USAF are another story. I'm a Navy Recruiter and am turning qualified people away every day because we don't have a position for them. Many of whom I introduce to my USMC neighbor (Recruiter) and he is happy to put them in the Corps.
honestly i think that this is a pointless argument, especially since the quotas shift every friggin month. but you two are arguing different aspects of "hard to get in."

you are arguing available slots vs qualification, so, according to you, the navy is turning down qualified individuals, and the usmc will snap up qualified individuals.

i don't know if macjr82 is right about met quotas or if you are, and frankly i don't care enough to go look for formal numbers (again, i think it's a stupid argument), but i just felt the need to point out the apples and oranges comparison that i am seeing.

Old 07-09-2009, 09:14 AM

4,866 posts, read 11,217,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stycotl View Post
honestly i think that this is a pointless argument, especially since the quotas shift every friggin month.
"Quotas" are set each fiscal year, they do not "shift every month". His comment was that the USMC is the hardest branch to get into which isn't the case at all. He's not even a Recruiter yet (he's in school to learn to be a Recruiter), I'm a 23 year Senior Enlisted Recruiting Manager (guy in charge of Recruiters) that has been Recruiting for 12 years. You choose who to listen to.

Another gem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
The Marines actually stress education more than any other branch. As a result, it has more enlisted with degrees than any other service,
Again, drank to much of the Koolaid in Recruiter School as can be clearly seen http://www.dantes.doded.mil/dantes_web/library/docs/voledfacts/FY08.pdf (broken link). Almost every Airman in the USAF gets an Associates Degree from the Community College of the Air Force out of Tech School as can be seen by their 20,452 Associates Degree's awarded in FY08. Saying the USMC has more enlisted with degrees than any other service is why Recruiters are not trusted.

Last edited by LBTRS; 07-09-2009 at 09:31 AM..

Old 08-07-2009, 11:32 PM

14 posts, read 26,199 times
Do not go into the military! It's a bad idea right now.
Glenn
USMC 1989-1994
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues