Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 04:44 PM

37,496 posts, read 61,484,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post
Oh I bet you thought nobody'd catch this.
Listen at you...."target vessle"..... Damn bubbleheads.... That target is quite well protected as I understand, and has less of a chance of being rolled over or run into something.(I know someone from a submarine that this happened to recently..he's lucky to be alive)

We all bump into things from time to time.

It happens.

We commonly surface up through other folks' hulls too. I could tell some sea-stories.

But, hey on subs your always within a mile from land. Pretty much anywhere you go, land is less than a mile away.

But it would not help the OP.

I beleive that when dealing with the US Navy, the best deal you can get is to sign a 6-year contract. Get a long pipeline of schools ['A' and 'C' schools], with guaranteed E4 before you hit the fleet, and in a rate with good SRB levels.

Clear E5 after one year in the fleet, then Re-Up for E6.

Today's Navy is not like it was during the draft with $17.50/month for pay like my father got.

The SRB cap now is $90k, choose the right rate and every time you Re-Up you could be putting serious cash in your bank account.

The highest the SRB cap when I served [1976 to 2001] was $60k.

Go Navy !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2010, 05:30 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,695,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
A new sailor never working on messdecks will still see time there on most ships. The new E-4's fresh out of school usually do a tour as Mess Deck MAA.
!?

Never had those when *I* served!

Old 05-24-2010, 05:56 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,210,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post

We all bump into things from time to time.

It happens.

We commonly surface up through other folks' hulls too. I could tell some sea-stories.

But, hey on subs your always within a mile from land. Pretty much anywhere you go, land is less than a mile away.

But it would not help the OP.

I beleive that when dealing with the US Navy, the best deal you can get is to sign a 6-year contract. Get a long pipeline of schools ['A' and 'C' schools], with guaranteed E4 before you hit the fleet, and in a rate with good SRB levels.

Clear E5 after one year in the fleet, then Re-Up for E6.

Today's Navy is not like it was during the draft with $17.50/month for pay like my father got.

The SRB cap now is $90k, choose the right rate and every time you Re-Up you could be putting serious cash in your bank account.

The highest the SRB cap when I served [1976 to 2001] was $60k.

Go Navy !

As was discussed in another thread, the vast majority of servicemen don't stay in 20 years til retirement.

6 years is a long hitch for your first one, especiallyif you discover that staying there for 20 doesn't appeal to you.

I think that is what I was alluding to when I started that other thread.
Retired servicemen presuming everyone entering wants to stay 20.

The facts show that is a false presumption.

Old 05-24-2010, 05:59 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,695,417 times
Seems I was making about $760 a month for most of my enlistment. Don't know how much it'd be now though. I do know that I'd be better off financially IN the service because I wouldn't be paying for pesky little things like food and shelter.

Old 05-24-2010, 06:06 PM

37,496 posts, read 61,484,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
As was discussed in another thread, the vast majority of servicemen don't stay in 20 years til retirement.

6 years is a long hitch for your first one, especiallyif you discover that staying there for 20 doesn't appeal to you.

I think that is what I was alluding to when I started that other thread.
Retired servicemen presuming everyone entering wants to stay 20.

The facts show that is a false presumption.
You lost me there, not sure what your talking about.

The OP of this thread was asking for advice about the US Navy.

I gave my advice.

Old 05-24-2010, 06:27 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,210,460 times
I re-read the OP

I never saw where he was looking for --advice--

He was looking for answers to 4 specific questions.

Old 05-28-2010, 12:36 PM

4,120 posts, read 6,617,255 times
I spent four years as a navy ET from 90 to 93... My two year add on was dropped due to the cutbacks by papa Bush, and carried on by Clinton. I don't think the ET A school has been shortened and its still around 45 weeks if I am correct, my friends son did 6 years as an ET and he mentioned it was about the same.

I never had to mess crank this could be because of my NEC classification and the amount of work the ET shop had. I did crank between boot and A school for 1 month in Orlando...

My advice to you is ask yourself what type of jobs do you like and what do you want to do in the future??? Do you want to be a network computer administrator? Be a IT/ITS/ET/CT/CTN or do you want to work on engines, then the Gas Turbine rate is for you, which is also great if you want to work for a power company. Or do you want to be a police officer then a MA is it for you.

Tell us what you want to do and we can give you some feedback on the job.

Old 05-31-2010, 11:02 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,948,120 times
When the Navy recruiter said that the contract I'd sign only required 4 years of service, is he telling the truth? I've read some media reports claiming that recruiters lie about years of service in order to lure potential recruits.

When enlisting, everyone signs a paper that states that they were NOT promised anything by a recruiter that is not in writing. At least two others will ask the enlistee (away from the recruiter) if they were promised anything by their recruiter that isn't written down. When they arrive at boot, they are again asked, and sign saying they weren't.

Anyone who signs this paper then claims they were lied to, gets what they deserve - liars caught by liars.

You must REQUEST and ACTIVELY SEEK recruiting duty.

STGs sit on ships.

Old 06-01-2010, 07:05 AM

8,967 posts, read 20,399,679 times
During part of Nam, I enlisted for a 4-yr hitch and, unless I requested a re-enlistment, I was out after that 4-yrs and was placed on
"In-active Reserve". "In-active Reserve" meant that I had absolutely nothing to do with the Navy unless I was called to "active duty" due to a War. I led my life completely as a civilian.
For some rates (jobs) a sailor, after Basic Training, will go to an A-School for a specific training. After A-School, they will then report to their first "duty station" be it onboard a ship or shore duty. At that point, any additional training will be OJT.
Back then, unlike today, sailors didn't get money for college (GI Bill) until they were discharged. I didn't know anyone then who was going to college while still on "active duty" status.
I only worked on the Mess Deck once during my enlistment.
You go where your Orders tell you to go! That could be in a battle zone or not, but one thing for sure......that is NOT up to you!
Good Luck!
By the way, I thoroughly (well, pretty much) enjoyed my time in the Navy. The "Ship's Party's" and "Beer Busts" were great. I remember having a "Ship's Party" on Midway Island and a "Beer Bust" at Hunter's Point Naval Station.

Old 06-01-2010, 11:03 AM

5,478 posts, read 12,256,990 times
OP, please do not join the military unless you can get good with being deployed places you don't like. That's the deal and you are there, above all, to support the mission. Just remember that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues