Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 08:26 PM

4 posts, read 10,959 times

Advertisements

First off, please dont make fun of or mock me for lack of knowledge on this subject. It's still a relatively new idea to me and Im trying to research and gleen as much info as I can.
Im almost 19 years old, just graduated from high school and am enrolled to attend the university in my town this fall. Im starting as an English major, but that doesnt seem to promising and frankly I have no clue what I want to do with my life. Or what major to pick. I applied for many scholarships, received none, and my parents are paying most of this semester's tuition. I dont know if they could pay for two more years (I got 45 community college credits while in high school, so its only taking me 2 years at Uni to get done).
I will be living at home for college. I've had a..um..a father who is rather abusive emotionally/physically/verbally. Some days are good days..and we're a happy family..Other days..and most days..Im told to pull my head out of my ass, grabbed by my hair, shoved, or called a ****. It's affected myself worth alot, and its time to get out.
My family has a small business at the local airport, and Ive spent my growing up years around planes. Ive been working since I was 11.
Recently, after watching a bunch of army helicopters come in..I started thinking about the military. Particularly Navy.
So..what can you tell me? Why did you join the military? Was it worth it? How long did you serve? Where did you go? Im thinking Navy because at this point, it seems navy might see the least amount of fighting, and you would get to travel.
Anything you can tell me?
My reasons right now are, Im not sure what I want to do with my life and college seems like a waste of money for the moment, it would give me a chance to get away from home, save money while not paying living expenses, work hard, learn new skills, and travel (Ive always wanted to, but i dont have the money). Like I said, I fuel planes, would that be a helpful skill at all for like getting stationed on an aircraft carrier or something?
I have no committments here (no boyfriend, etc etc. The only commitment I have is a 2 year old German Shepherd) so I can just drop it all and go. Im a hard worker, and not afraid to bust my butt or get dirty.
Is risk of sexual assault or harassment high in the military for females?
ANY INFO YOU CAN TELL ME ABOUT WHY YOU ENLISTED, WOULD BE GREAT!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2010, 08:50 PM

11,284 posts, read 11,055,728 times
For starters - College is never a waste of money. Not in my opinion at least. If you come in with a degree, even if its only an AA from a community college, you have a leg up. Sounds like you are a good fit for an Airman rate. One word of advice, if you decide to go for it, make sure you secure an "A" school with the recruiter BEFORE you sign on the dotted line.

Demand an "A" school when you talk to the recruiter. A degree upon entrance should give you a leg up in that catagory as well. Go online NOW and google Navy Airman + rates/jobs or something to that effect and find one that fits your interests. For that matter, check all the Navy jobs, Seaman and Fireman rates as well.

I served from 1992-1995. I was a Molder, which is a rate that was discontinued. When I entered after high school, I came in unrated, and worked A-Gang (air conditioning and refrigeration) until I received an A school after my first year. I was on two different ships, a cruiser and a submarine tender. We only went to Hawaii once. I was stationed out of San Diego 32nd Street and Pt. Loma Sub Base.

My suggestion for you is to take advantage of financial aid and at least get your two year degree in general studies if you are undecided on a major. Get a little life experience before you commit to a contract. Once you're in, you belong to them.

That's just my 2 cents worth. I'm sure others will have varying opinions to help you along as well. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Old 07-14-2010, 09:02 PM

2,061 posts, read 4,139,059 times
reason for me to join Navy? I GOT DRAFTED! but it wasn't bad, I even stayed for 20 years! I worked alongside quite a few ladies and can say I enjoyed having them working for/with me. They all had a higher commitment than many of the men. I'm sure the Navy haschanged somewhat since I got out in 1986 but think you would enjoy it. If you enjoy working around aircraft you should be able to get aviation going in. Just remember in boot camp its just boot camp~ you'll be out soon. The service will give you a good job and the opportunity to see some real life situations to decide what you'd like to do forward. Do not be afraid to take some college credit courses when they are offered~ chances are good you can get out with a degree~ plus some elegability for further education. Good luck in your desisions

Old 07-14-2010, 09:14 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,210,460 times
Drafted into the Navy and served from 65-67 in Naval air.

I would highly recommend aviation if one is considering the Navy.

Yes, as another poster stated, be sure and get an "A" school.

Old 07-14-2010, 09:48 PM

1,707 posts, read 7,038,154 times
A college education should be your number one goal.

On the other hand if you have to get out of your family situation then I would highly recommend the military.

All branches of the military have aviation components and would be a good fit for you if that is what you want to do. As some of the others have pointed out, make sure you get a guarantee (in your contract) of the job you are signing up for.

I served 30 years in Army aviation as a crew chief, maintenance supervisor, technical inspector, flight operation, etc. If you have question about the Army side I could help you.

Another thing to keep in mind is that it might take 6-8 months (or longer) to ship out in the military, so don't plan on leaving quickly if this is what you decide.

Good luck

Old 07-15-2010, 05:59 AM

4,120 posts, read 6,617,255 times
The number one question I have to ask you is what type of job do you want to do? There is a saying in the Navy pick your rate pick your fate....

You seem to have an interest in Aviation, what you really need to do is find out whether the aviation jobs the Navy offers are for you. Also their are jobs within the aviation side of the house that vary. Do you want to move planes around and do launch and recovery then ABH is for you. Do you like the idea of working on weapons then ordinance is for you. Maybe you want to be an air traffic controller. You need to find the right fit.

Next if you go in with a 6 year contract you can get your crow out of A school. Big advantage, you will be a e-4 in less than a year if not I would bust my butt in school and get my credits needed to come in as a seaman, finish boot and A school, and study like mad for my e-4 exam. You need 9 months time in grade which is rank in order to be eligible to test for e-4 by coming in as a seaman you will have that time. If you come in as a E-1, it will take you over 3 years to make e-4.

The Navy still pays student loans back correct?

Hit us up most former Navy people miss the people part of the Navy not so much the jobs but the people and are willing to give advice and tell sea stories...

Old 07-15-2010, 06:09 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,210,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
The number one question I have to ask you is what type of job do you want to do? There is a saying in the Navy pick your rate pick your fate....

You seem to have an interest in Aviation, what you really need to do is find out whether the aviation jobs the Navy offers are for you. Also their are jobs within the aviation side of the house that vary. Do you want to move planes around and do launch and recovery then ABH is for you. Do you like the idea of working on weapons then ordinance is for you. Maybe you want to be an air traffic controller. You need to find the right fit.

Next if you go in with a 6 year contract you can get your crow out of A school. Big advantage, you will be a e-4 in less than a year if not I would bust my butt in school and get my credits needed to come in as a seaman, finish boot and A school, and study like mad for my e-4 exam. You need 9 months time in grade which is rank in order to be eligible to test for e-4 by coming in as a seaman you will have that time. If you come in as a E-1, it will take you over 3 years to make e-4.

The Navy still pays student loans back correct?

Hit us up most former Navy people miss the people part of the Navy not so much the jobs but the people and are willing to give advice and tell sea stories...
WOW !------(it will take you over 3 years to make E-4 )

Has the Navy changed that much ?

My nephew enlisted in the 90's when the Navy offered ( for a short time ) a 2 year enlistment . Not Navy Reserve.

My nephew served 2 years, went in as E-1, no "A" school, and came out an E-4 ( 3rd class Bossun Mate )

This was accomplished in a 2 yeasr enlistment with no "A" school.

Old 07-15-2010, 07:33 AM

37,496 posts, read 61,484,089 times
It is my understanding that in the civilian world of aviation there are jobs in: flying, repair, and traffic control.

In the Navy flying is done by officers. Repair and traffic control is done by enlisted.

Under repair there is an 'Aircraft powerplant' cert and an 'Aircraft frame' cert, and a cert for Avionics. And of course traffic control. [now before anyone jumps in here saying that I messed up the names of the civilian certs, I know I did.]

If you were looking for a future civilian career, one [or two] of these certs would be your end goal. So pick which of these you want, and then talk to the recruiter about which rate will give you the appropriate training and experience.

I once knew an AT who loved his job as an aircrewman on P3s.

I enlisted in 1976, got out after 6 years and went to college. Then 4 years later I re-enlisted and eventually retired in 2001. I am an ET.

The Navy is not for everyone, and the community within the Navy that I served in is a community that you can not go into [subs]. So my experiences in the sub community would not be experiences that would apply to your future career.

It can be a good pension if you can stick it out for 20-years. At this point you have no idea if you are career oriented or not.

So go for a rate that will nearly put you into a civilian career field that you like. Keep in mind that Navy training does not completely equal civilian test requirements. But while on active duty you can usually take the civilian tests for free, and you can re-take them every 6-months until you pass each test.

Also keep in mind that once your on Active-Duty every command has an ESO office, go there and you can schedule to take CLEP tests every week. One of the greatest benefits provided to active-duty servicemembers is CLEP testing.

Old 07-15-2010, 11:54 AM

45,489 posts, read 60,718,893 times
Naval Aviation here but I'm about to commit heresy:
if you're interested in flying you already have the education for Army Aviation

UsArmyAviation.com - Aviation Pilot's Lounge, The Place To For Information About Becoming An Army Aviator

Old 07-15-2010, 12:26 PM

4 posts, read 10,959 times
Okay, I'm not so much *interested* in aviation as Im good at it. If that makes any sense. I dont have a pilot license, but I know and am trained to refuel planes and helicopters, marshal planes in, test fuel, drive the trucks, etc. So Im just wondering if those skills would help me in the Navy?
Also..Im trying to think here...after watching how many, many people have flown with our flight instructor here...Someone who no license cant just go in the military and become a pilot can they? Dont they have to go in with at least a private pilot's?
Also, how long do you have to enlist for? I saw a couple type 6 years and I panic. Im not saying if I found my niche and really loved what I was doing i wouldnt sign to be there much much longer, but initially I would only realy want a 2-3 year commitment to start with.
Do they not have 3 year enlistments anymore???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues