Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 02:31 PM

2 posts, read 5,365 times

Advertisements

Not really a List, i like it here. But I have spent a considerable amount of time in Denver and her in the cities and wouldn't even consider relocating to Denver. The cities have a certain "feel" to them, and so does Denver.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2010, 03:29 PM

1,606 posts, read 3,342,269 times
I'm a bit late to this list, but FWIW, here is my top five:

1. Weather: I personally don't hate winter, but there are about 30 days each winter that i would love to trade--those are the days of brutally cold weather (like the past five days actually!) along with the days in mid-late March when everything is icy due to the constant freeze-thaw cycle.

2. Lack of Vision: This might actually be my main complaint! The Twin Cities have benefited enormously from the vision of the civic leaders of the past--the preservation of the Minneapolis lakes for public ownership was an incredible victory for the future of the city. The creation of the Met Council, the Fiscal Disparities Program which helps to equalize tax bases. These were all innovative programs. The most recent innovation was probably the Neighborhood Revitization Program by the City of Mpls--giving lots of $ and power to the neighborhoods.

Today, everything seems to take three times as long as it should. Our transit system should be much further along. The stadiums have taken forever to get built (I supported the Twins stadium, but am lukewarm about the Vikings--especially given out current budget crisis). We're also not good at promoting ourselves.

3. The We Like it Here Smugness: I agree that there's a level of smugness in the twin Cities. Part of it is understandable as we do have a very high quality of life and things are very good here for most people. However, this high quality of life is owed to wise decisions made decades ago. Frankly, I can't say I'm very impressed with what we've accomplished recently.

4. Geographically remote: Maybe not as remote as Denver, but pretty close

5. Mosquitoes: I live in the city where they're not too bad, but you still notice them in the summer at dusk. Gnats too.

Old 01-05-2010, 12:19 PM

2 posts, read 4,486 times
Yeah ok BJORN24 you obvously do not watch the Minnesota Vikings or football altogether because they are arguably the best team in the NFL and definitley a team favored in the Super Bowl you clown!!!

Old 01-05-2010, 01:30 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,676,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
I find the smugness irritating, too. There is sometimes a sense of "Minnesotans are just nicer, better, smarter, work harder, and are just different from those 'other' people elsewhere." Certainly not everyone has that attitude, but you do see it sometimes. I especially hate it when it pops up in advertisements or political messages, the sort of thing trying to make people feel good because they're "real" Americans and therefore somehow special and different from everyone else. Smugness or sense of superiority is by no means exclusive to the Twin Cities, of course (Minnesotans didn't invent the phrase "flyover country," for example...). Denver seems to be a little smug, too, although more of the "we're rugged outdoorsy people, and oh, did we mention we have mountains, and everyone wants to move here" kind of way. Minnesotans can't brag about the weather or mountains, and often gets overlooked as a city, so maybe that contributes to the smugness and defense mechanism thing. (anyone else out there encounter people in other states who have referred to "Minnianapolis", which I take to be a blend between Indianapolis and Minneapolis? That's one of my personal pet peeves, and I've heard it multiple times. I think some of the people saying it genuinely didn't realize that there was a difference; Midwest is Midwest, right?)

Still, I love Minneapolis, think it's a great place, don't love the cold but will put up with it for the many other benefits, but fully acknowledge that there are other nice cities out there, too. I appreciate Minneapolis a lot more after having lived in other cities, although there are still those things that really annoy me (attitude towards public transportation probably being #1, followed by views of density and urban living in the city). I'd like to think that those views may change in the future. Every city has its pluses and minuses, and I wouldn't trust anyone who claimed there were only good things about where they live. It's all about figuring out which pluses and minuses matter most to you, and that exact mix of needs and tastes is going to be different for all of us. Obviously a lot of us have found the Twin Cities to be a good fit, while equally obviously it's not the right fit for everyone.

Crazy, when I was on Spring Break in Mexico, I hung out with some dudes from Oklahoma. When they would introduce me, or talk about where I was from they would say "Minneanapolis"...And I thought that A)they were being sarcastic b) they had an accent c) or they actually thought thats what its called

Old 01-05-2010, 02:10 PM

587 posts, read 1,420,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMinMPLS89 View Post
Yeah ok BJORN24 you obvously do not watch the Minnesota Vikings or football altogether because they are arguably the best team in the NFL and definitley a team favored in the Super Bowl you clown!!!
Wow. You must be a relatively new fan if you have no frustration with them in general.

I hope they go all the way, but in my experience, they'll be good enough to go all the way, but will let us down at the last minute after getting our hopes up. Clearly, since they've never actually won a Superbowl you can't say they have EVER done anything different than that...

Old 01-05-2010, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by intmd8r View Post
Wow. You must be a relatively new fan if you have no frustration with them in general.

I hope they go all the way, but in my experience, they'll be good enough to go all the way, but will let us down at the last minute after getting our hopes up. Clearly, since they've never actually won a Superbowl you can't say they have EVER done anything different than that...

Yeah, because all those 'bad' teams (4 superbowl losers, 1987, 1998, and 2000) have ANYTHING to do with this year's team...

That's what I hate. ESPN is KING for this. They'll give statements like "We all know what happened THAT season when they started 5-0."... Like THAT season has anything to do with this one...

irregardless, I'm still on your side. Ha. I won't believe it til' I see it.

Old 01-05-2010, 06:58 PM

12 posts, read 31,685 times
Quote:
And what year did they win the super bowl?

Actually, I'm obsessed with football and still stand by my comments. I'd love it if they won the super bowl and think they have a slight chance of making it this year but don't want to get my hopes up too much. The talent is there but if they come out playing like they did against Arizona or Carolina it will be a sad sad day.

Old 01-06-2010, 10:26 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,081,428 times
Quote:
The Vikes are good at home, but haven't been all that good on the road, especially near the end of the season this year.

We'll see how they do in a couple of weeks. Beating the Giants at this point in the season really didn't mean all that much.

Old 01-08-2010, 06:50 PM

2,699 posts, read 2,410,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camden Northsider View Post
1. The people here are TOO nice.
I beg to differ.

Old 01-08-2010, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Data Guy View Post
I beg to differ.

I agree...Actually. It's a fake nice...

The Passive-Aggressiveness is just too much to handle...

I wish people were more blount and straightforward like west or east coasts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul