Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2017, 03:56 PM

1,289 posts, read 1,898,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppalachianAngler View Post
When I was there we had Rebel Ride that would take us to & from the Square. Not sure if it is still around, but believe it is not.

It is not a bad walk, though. Maybe about a mile. Not something you would want to do all the time, but not bad with nice weather. Be careful walking back to campus if you're boozing. They will give you a public intox. Oxford has Uber now so I suspect that is most often used now. Or fraternity pledges.
Concur, both OPD and SPD can be overly aggressive. Thre was a recent news story outlining how OPD/the DA were using students busted for minor offenses as informants.

I've been to Oxford 3-4 times over the past couple of years, but haven't seen anyone making that walk.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2017, 06:44 PM
Status: "Moldy Tater Gangrene, even before Moscow Marge." (set 6 days ago)

5,790 posts, read 3,603,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That Dude View Post
I am currently looking into going either to MSU or Ole Miss but I cannot decide which would be more fun. I have heard that Oxford is a pretty lively town but I haven't heard that much about Starkville. Any input would be awesome.
This one cuts in a lot of different directions: 1) the town itself, 2) location, 3) socio-politico-cultural climate

1. I don't know about the "fun" part, as I've been to each town only once in my life. I leave this to others more familiar with either or both.

2. Oxford's the better location, if only because it's only 70 miles from Memphis. Starkville's very isolated, with the nearest big city (Birmingham) being a little over 100 miles away. Even Jackson's about 120 away.

3. From what I saw of Oxford has a lot of "old money" airs about it, and the Greek system...well, maybe rules the social life is a bit too strong, but even from just walking across the campus I could tell it's a very, very big part of social life there. From what I hear, Starkville and MSU tend to be a bit more down to earth.

Still, both schools are, like most SEC schools, football crazy, with basketball crazy not being far behind.

All and all, it depends heavily on what kind of person you are, what ignites your passions, how easily you can satisfy those passions in the town - or at least within a reasonable driving distance.

Old 06-03-2017, 10:51 AM

10,105 posts, read 7,414,089 times
I'm surprised that neither Ole Miss or MSU have restaurants/bars/college athletic stores immediately adjacent to campus.

Old 06-03-2017, 06:44 PM

1,248 posts, read 2,167,785 times
OP, I don't think you mentioned what you wanted to study. Maybe I just missed it, but do you want to attend one of the schools, or are you just looking to move to one of the towns. I think a big part of the decision between the two is what program you planning to study. I have friends who love both towns. I didn't study at either school, and I have only visited Oxford, so I'm not much help regarding Starkville. However, Oxford is a very cool town.

Old 10-11-2021, 03:15 PM

1 posts, read 792 times
Both universities and cities are small Mississippi towns. to anyone not from the Mississippi area, they will be one in the same.

the only advantage at all that Oxford has, is the proximity to Memphis.

People from the Oxford area will almost claim that it is a sister city of Paris, France, while anyone not from the area will claim its just another small town in Mississippi.

If i were you, and I could, id get the heck out of Mississippi for college. Reasons: it's cool to get out of your comfort zone and try something different. And, once you get out of Mississippi for any period of time, its likely you won't want to go back - at least not to live during your working years.

Old 10-12-2021, 08:24 AM

25,587 posts, read 17,310,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopemsu View Post
Both universities and cities are small Mississippi towns. to anyone not from the Mississippi area, they will be one in the same.

the only advantage at all that Oxford has, is the proximity to Memphis.

People from the Oxford area will almost claim that it is a sister city of Paris, France, while anyone not from the area will claim its just another small town in Mississippi.

If i were you, and I could, id get the heck out of Mississippi for college. Reasons: it's cool to get out of your comfort zone and try something different. And, once you get out of Mississippi for any period of time, its likely you won't want to go back - at least not to live during your working years.
Lot of truth in that statement. I'm retired and living in Mississippi. I feel frustrated with several family members who have never seen the challenge in testing themselves to see what they can do.
One went to college in Oxford, took a teaching job in Oxford, coaches football in Oxford, married a girl from Oxford so I am guessing he is done. He's addicted to the fact that everyone knows his name. In fact, he has never lived any other way.
My son in law's family has never had a single member of the family who has ever, in memory, lived anywhere else. And they are not particularly unusual. There was a study done some years ago that showed 70% of the people in Mississippi have never lived anywhere else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi