Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 10:36 PM

2 posts, read 27,552 times

Advertisements

I am currently looking into going either to MSU or Ole Miss but I cannot decide which would be more fun. I have heard that Oxford is a pretty lively town but I haven't heard that much about Starkville. Any input would be awesome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2007, 10:01 AM

557 posts, read 1,674,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That Dude View Post
I am currently looking into going either to MSU or Ole Miss but I cannot decide which would be more fun. I have heard that Oxford is a pretty lively town but I haven't heard that much about Starkville. Any input would be awesome.
IMO, if you're looking for "fun", Ole Miss would definitely be the better choice. I'm not all that impressed with Oxford myself, but then I'm not a student.

Old 11-27-2007, 12:18 PM

1 posts, read 13,778 times
go to oxford by all means. starkville is as dead as dead can be and it looks like there's no chance of any change. the neighboring county is really booming from all the new industry moving in and starkville's not doing anything to get in on the action. you'd think they'd want to grow too. the other counties laugh at them. it's like they have the college there and that's all they need. i think they really need to get a new president of their planning and development commette. this guy seems to want to put off and make too many studies. if they don't hurry, they'll miss a great oppotunity to grow.

Old 11-27-2007, 02:48 PM

5 posts, read 28,645 times
Quote:
It just depends on what you want to do. Oxford is a fun town, but it really isn't some sprawling metropolis. If you like to drink and hang out you'll have fun.

Starkville is fun as well. I lived there 8 years while getting my undergrad and master degrees. Oxford likes to make fun of us as the cow college which is just plain stupid. In the 1800's we used to be an A&M school. Now however we are infinitely more advanced. I'd say well more advanced in engineering and computer technology than Ole Miss.

There's also a lot to do if you like hanging out and going to bars as well (that's really all there is to do in either town).

Having hung out in both towns quite a lot, I would say that Starkville offers a more relaxed and tolerant atmosphere. Dave's Dark Horse Tavern is my favorite hang out spot. Chill folks...great music..FANTASTIC pub grub (hell..fantastic food in general) and great people.

But ultimately it's a college choice and should come down to what you want to make of yourself and which college offers the best program for your goals.

Also...MSU went 7 and 5 this year and won the Egg Bowl. Hooah!

At the beginning of the season I made a 50 dollar bet that State would have a winning record this year. At the time, since our schedule was hard, it was just a faith bet. I can't believe we actually pulled it off!

Old 11-27-2007, 03:47 PM

794 posts, read 3,357,062 times
"Also...MSU went 7 and 5 this year and won the Egg Bowl. Hooah!

At the beginning of the season I made a 50 dollar bet that State would have a winning record this year. At the time, since our schedule was hard, it was just a faith bet. I can't believe we actually pulled it off!"

And I am very glad that State pulled it off. I'm glad State is back into the bowl picture.
I've been to Starkville many times. I feel like it offers a great college atmosphere. I've only been to Oxford once when I was younger and don't remember much. I'm sure it's changed a lot since then. I was always under the impression that State was the engineering college and Ole Miss was the medical/pharmacutical college (as far as strengths go). I'm sure they're both equally diverse.
I agree, you should choose based on your studies and not because of the geography. If that were not the case, I would have gone to school in Hawaii.

Old 11-27-2007, 04:43 PM

376 posts, read 1,779,283 times
Quote:
Starkville is a much better place than it was even five years ago, but Oxford is easily the best town in Mississippi. It wins award after award and has a lot more cultural things going on. Also, the nightlife is more central and walkable. However, Starkville is more laid back and very, very cheap. One bar there has all-can-drink for $10 every night. Both towns have all types of people, but Oxford tends to be wealthier. Students there tend to have more disposable income for restaurants and going out, but wealthy people and country people are not mutually exclusive to either town. People in both places tend to be friendly and fun-loving, but Starkville is a little more friendly and Oxford is a little more fun-loving. Live music, especially of the independent type, is very good in Oxford. Starkville has significantly less live music but tends to get more mainstream, national bands. Oxford is a very live music-oriented town but supports more independent and regional bands.

Old 11-27-2007, 05:00 PM

506 posts, read 1,474,805 times
There is a reason why when the broadcasters come to Oxford for games they always mention how much they love Oxford and the Grove, but when they go to Starkville never mention anything redeeming about it (no offense to bulldogs).

Either place I think you'll have fun, but I'd visit both. Oxford is overwhelming greek if that is your thing, so it is a little more "wild."

Old 11-27-2007, 07:46 PM

95 posts, read 1,294,204 times
If you like drinking and partying go to Ole Miss. It's very, very greek, and you must be made of money if you want any recognition. It's a snob school at best. If you want an education, hang with good people, and actually remember your college years, then MSU is for you. No offense to either school as I am not a fan of neither being educated outside of MS.

Old 11-27-2007, 07:55 PM

2 posts, read 27,552 times
Thanks yall, all of this was really helpful.

Old 11-28-2007, 08:59 AM

11 posts, read 53,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobigred View Post
If you like drinking and partying go to Ole Miss. It's very, very greek, and you must be made of money if you want any recognition. It's a snob school at best. If you want an education, hang with good people, and actually remember your college years, then MSU is for you. No offense to either school as I am not a fan of neither being educated outside of MS.
Moderator cut: pretty unnecessary
Starkville is a suitcase college. If you are coming from a distance and want to relate to people that actually stay in their town and have fun, you'll want Oxford. If you want local Mississippi people who run home every weekend to hang out with their high school friends, go Starkville. I was and am not made of money and have met quite a many people while in college and as an alum. I enjoyed this school very much as a student and as a young adult. It has a lot to offer outside of bars and booze. You should look at what school can provide you with oppurtunities for your selected area of interest and go from there. Once you think you have that figured out, if both provide that education pretty close, then honestly I would chose the one I will enjoy the most. Undergrad Education in the real world amounts to little if you don't develop the skills needed in the social world, which ever school you can do this, will help you greatly. Outsiders of either just form their opinions from a some one who might not have a good time at either and then they believe that too.

I have many many friends who went to State and live in Starkville, they are passionate about it and they have a good time there. They will tell you they don't compare in culture but it is cheaper to be out there....sometimes....just dropped a bundle during the Egg Bowl. Yet, The Grove is great Oxford for 7 weekends a year, Baseball is great at both, but you will have a better student following of basketball there. (They think they are really good, ha ha). Anyway, there is a lot to chose from and no matter where you chose, you chould experince both. Hell, it's not like you can't transfer anyway.

just don't buy into the crap that Oxford is all greek and money. I survived on my own funds and there are ways to have a good time cheap. There is great music, lots of live shows, great sports venues, great outdoor adventures with Ole Miss outdoors, great intermural, great Arts department, just depends on what is your taste in entertainment.

Pick what you want, Chancellor Khayat wants to have 20000 students in a few years, they'll be plenty of people here either way......have fun in choosing.

Last edited by Sam I Am; 11-28-2007 at 11:44 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi