Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2023, 10:28 AM

560 posts, read 785,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Einnseanair View Post
I used to travel to the LA area several times a year, and the tar pits was always on my list of things to see, but I never managed to get there. The closest I came was one day I found myself with a free afternoon. I choose to go hiking in Griffith Park instead because a hobby at the time was Geocaching.

What's stunning is that such an odd geographic feature is right in the middle of the second largest metro area in the USA. It's the surface leakage of an underground oil (asphalt) reserve, and is an indicator of the reason why California was once the largest oil-producing state in the US. It's currently 7th, regardless of current political rhetoric.

Mississippi is much farther down the list of oil producers, but we do produce more than all other southeastern states except Texas and Louisiana.
Oh my gosh! You will love it! https://tarpits.org This little jewel is one of my favorite spots. And it's right in the middle of L.A.! I can't overstate how fascinating and important the Tar Pits are.

Thank you for your information about this "odd geographic feature." It certainly is. And now I know what geocaching is. Sort of.

Again, the website is excellent. It's an unforgettable experience. Great gift shop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2023, 10:28 PM

2,642 posts, read 1,371,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seadory View Post
It is political satire. Real-world topics and politicians are disclosed, lambasted, and made fun of through humor, and exaggerated. The guy in the video is pretending. He is exaggerating the existing state of affairs in California. Please feel free to fact-check his claims.

As far as I know political satire has not been criminalized. Bear in mind that in many countries political satire is a punishable offense. Political satire in totalitarian regimes is banned. The penalty for satirists includes, but is not limited to exile, fines, incarceration, and even death.

This link will shed an important light on the history and value of satire. "Political satire is usually distinguished from political protest or political dissent, as it does not necessarily carry an agenda nor seek to influence the political process. While occasionally it may, it more commonly aims simply to entertain....it tends to simply establish the error of matters rather than provide solutions." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_satire
Yes, I get that it is satire. It is still extremely biased. And the post I was responding to stated that it was not an exaggeratiob, which it clearly is.
Nobody is suggesting that satire should be criminalized...not sure where you are getting that from.

Old 04-19-2023, 04:01 AM

577 posts, read 560,509 times
I drove out to California last year for a road trip and it really is beautiful. Just driving through the outskirts of LA it's stunning, with all the lush, green hills and mountains. Even places you hear bad things about like Simi Valley as an example...I looked up and realized I was driving through there along the interstate and it took my breath away. Gorgeous and stunning. The drive up to Santa Barbara, San Luis Obispo, and Carmel ... all gorgeous.

With that said, I do love Mississippi. I love to watch the HGTV show Home Town, set in Laurel. I've always loved Laurel. Every time I drive through I always wonder if I've exaggerated it in my mind. And then I drive through and realize I was right to love it. It's the elegant residential areas, rolling terrain and ultra-lush trees and vegetation. And Laurel's downtown and main residential areas are not bisected by any ugly roadways or industrial areas, which may be why the town feels so quaint.

On the show, there always seem to be people moving into Laurel because of the show itself. I see the combo of Laurel and Hattiesburg as a great region to move to because of the location, the nice towns, and the pretty terrain and greenery. Hattiesburg's west side in Lamar County is already equivalent in size and income level to the Brandon/Reservoir area outside of Jackson. Now that Laurel is rising, this region feels like it will have a strong future.

Other places that seem poised nicely for the future to me include Oxford, DeSoto County, Tupelo (and surrounding towns), Columbus and Starkville.

DeSoto County has everything going for it and these days could not be nicer. Southaven is looking great, especially around the new Silo Square development and newly renovated amphitheater across the state. Hernando is also looking super nice, both the town square and at the new part that is set to grow right off of the new I-69 interchange. Everything feels right in DeSoto County for a very bright future.

Columbus is building that $2 billion aluminum plant, which I'm assuming will catapult into the future the way the Toyota plant did for Tupelo. Once that plant was finished and the interstate through Tupelo completed, since then it's always felt like Tupelo is a clean, modern, prosperous city. It feels like Columbus and Starkville will benefit in the same way from the aluminum plant on top of al the other industries they've recruited there in recent years.

I also think Corinth is adorable and remarkably sophisticated and well positioned geographically near Pickwick and closer to places like Huntsville and Nashville. Corinth with a little time, say a good 30 years to get a bit richer, will end up being very attractive for Mississippi.

The Madison area is getting wealthier by the day. Now you can see it growing along Highway 22 from Canton to Flora, making for a pretty huge upscale area running from basically the Renaissance all the way to downtown Flora. I also see the Flowood/Lakeland area getting better all the time. I noticed that they have adopted Madison's standards for commercial signage and architecture (e.g. check out how nice the new Firestone, Jiffy Lube and Popeyes look...). And they've finally extended the nice landscaping along Lakeland all the way out to Grants Ferry Rd interchange at Lakeland (Praise be).

Also Clinton these days is absolutely lovely. With the new Speed scholarship at MC, combined with the Continental Tire plant that went up a couple of years ago, combined with Clinton's schools ranking at the top of the state and crime down to near-zero levels, it looks like Clinton is walking into a bright future.

Ocean Spring and Bay St Louis keep winning these awards as best coastal towns in the US. Natchez has a fantastic mayor at the moment and is the home of some big movie director types these days. And Meridian is doing remarkable work on their downtown. They have that MAX museum that covers Mississippi artists and have been heavily supported by actress Sela Ward. And now up the road country artist Marty Stuart is opening his country music museum on the square in Philadelphia which looks pretty amazing.

The last place I would mention is Brookhaven. Every time I drive through there I shake my head. It seems like they are quietly living their best life and no one but them knows it. Lovely downtown, lovely residential neighborhoods, great location on the way to New Orleans but still close to Jackson, beautiful greenery everywhere, good schools, warm weather, and it looks prosperous. Downright unfair to have it that good but god bless 'em.

Old 07-09-2023, 09:54 PM

966 posts, read 514,798 times
Please, please, please don't let them move to Mississippi! I spent far too much time around them in California, as well as the other states they moved to and ruined. That whole Politically Correct thing is in direct opposition to Mississippi's good manners and telling it like it is. People in Ms don't take kindly to folks coming in and telling them how to act, what words they should use, etc.

In fact, many of my friends see Mississippi's bad old reputation as a blessing, as it keeps those critters far away! Let 'em move to Oregon/Arizona/New Mexico/Nevada and countless other places (except Florida, they're skeered of that heat and humidity).

Old 07-10-2023, 07:33 AM

7,480 posts, read 6,253,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenMM View Post
Please, please, please don't let them move to Mississippi! I spent far too much time around them in California, as well as the other states they moved to and ruined. That whole Politically Correct thing is in direct opposition to Mississippi's good manners and telling it like it is. People in Ms don't take kindly to folks coming in and telling them how to act, what words they should use, etc.

In fact, many of my friends see Mississippi's bad old reputation as a blessing, as it keeps those critters far away! Let 'em move to Oregon/Arizona/New Mexico/Nevada and countless other places (except Florida, they're skeered of that heat and humidity).
Amen.

Old 07-21-2023, 04:08 PM

525 posts, read 718,030 times
Mississippi sure is a special place. People are friendly and down to earth. My father is originally from Grenada, MS. Although we lived in the Midwest during my upbringing, I would go with my father to Granny's farm outside town every summer growing up. His family owns many acres and a couple of cotton gins (my long distant uncle still does).

Since the cost of living (COL) is on the rise everywhere, I have thought about retiring in MS in the future after earning my Texas bucks plus cash I would get from selling my house here in DFW. I could buy a nice house in MS and live comfortably in my retirement. My second choice would be West Virginia.

Which parts of MS are very nice to live that have a plenty of amenities, good access to medical care, and not losing population unlike most of the state? I also happen to be a liberal who is in a LGBTQIA+ marriage with my husband. We are private people so we do not flaunt our sexuality and bringing up politics.

I don't care if the residents are religious but being respectful and non-judgmental is preferred. I didn't have that experience as a teenager during summers in Grenada but I am hoping that there are better parts of MS for what I am looking for.

Old 07-21-2023, 04:09 PM

11,405 posts, read 5,960,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenMM View Post

And the bugs. Don't forget the bugs. And the crime!!

Old 07-22-2023, 07:26 PM

629 posts, read 287,583 times
Dang it, the bugs didn’t scare me off, not even after having one of them VERY LARGE roaches come off a live oak to inspect my shoe…. That thing was bigger than Paul Bunyan’s pinkie!

In all seriousness, Mississippi is more magical and beautiful than on first or second or tenth impression as a visitor. We are moved back to my husband’s home state, and it keeps taking my breath away. Right now, the cicadas are buzzing their sunset song right outside my patio door (which I don’t dare open for fear of vicious mosquitoes and giant other insects, which are, in fact, a reality in this enchanted land. All enchanted magical lands are, of natural necessity, booby-trapped by blood-sucking, or venomous, or otherwise insufferable entities).

We bought a home right off the totally enchanted Natchez Trace. That is one of the country’s most beautiful, and magical, and secret, treasures.

Old 07-23-2023, 06:58 AM

2,501 posts, read 4,432,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SciFiNerd1 View Post
Which parts of MS are very nice to live that have a plenty of amenities, good access to medical care, and not losing population unlike most of the state? I also happen to be a liberal who is in a LGBTQIA+ marriage with my husband. We are private people so we do not flaunt our sexuality and bringing up politics.
What amenities are you looking for?

There is no good medical care in the state of Mississippi. People with means travel out of state for their appointments - Texas or Atlanta.

You don't need to bring up politics. It will be brought up for you. Doesn't matter whether you flaunt anything, as soon as people discover you're gay, you will be isolated from groups.

Not losing population? Madison. The suburbs of Memphis.

Old 07-23-2023, 09:17 AM

3,446 posts, read 2,772,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
What amenities are you looking for?

There is no good medical care in the state of Mississippi. People with means travel out of state for their appointments - Texas or Atlanta.

You don't need to bring up politics. It will be brought up for you. Doesn't matter whether you flaunt anything, as soon as people discover you're gay, you will be isolated from groups.

Not losing population? Madison. The suburbs of Memphis.
Oxford has a large number of doctors and a fairly new hospital. And Ole Miss isn’t the Republican bastion it once was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi