Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2017, 04:40 PM

8,528 posts, read 8,939,840 times

Advertisements

It does appear that mid-range houses are moving fast. Guess you need to evaluate & bid on new listings immediately. Waiting for weekend probably not wise. Trying to have an ear to ground about forthcoming listings worthwhile too (neighborhood / church gossip, signs of prep activity like painting, landscaping, yard sales, junk dumps). Willingness to consider further out and fixer-uppers could help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2017, 04:17 AM

3,781 posts, read 4,284,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
I grew up in the Flathead Valley. I really can't imagine why anybody would want to move there. Oh, sure, it is beautiful, but one can't eat scenery.
The Aluminum Plant is gone, never to return.
There is one lumber mill left in Columbia Falls, IF Plum Creek still survives.
There is one lumber mill in Half Moon, if F.H. Stoltze Land & Lumber is still thriving.
The was a stud mill in Evergreen (part of the Plum Creek complex, IIRC), is it still going?
I haven't heard much about Semitool recently. Is it still a going concern?
I visit the Valley now and then (the next time will be my 60th high school re-union), and I can stand it for about three days, maybe a week, and I have to leave. I don't like what it has become.
For instance, my "home town", Hungry Horse. What a tourist trap it is now. All three service stations, gone. The VFW, gone. The Glacier Rifle and Pistol Club indoor range, gone. The Club Rocco is now a Baptist church. All but one of the bars, gone. The drug store is now a grocery store. The road around Hungry Horse reservoir is mostly paved, as are many of the campgrounds.
The old saw that "You can't go home again!" is very true. "Home" (including the house, in my case) is simply GONE!
I looked at Kalispell jobs. I notice a toolmaker (LC Staffing) can make $10 -$11 per hour!
You grew up in Hungry Horse? So did my cousins.

Old 09-12-2017, 09:24 AM

745 posts, read 1,291,571 times
FYI, here is the market summary from my FHA loan purchase appraisal this week:
Quote:
Kalispell market conditions are currently favorable to sellers due to a shortage of active listings. Property values in the Flathead Valley market area are currently increasing due to the shortage of active listings, a stable local economy, and good local and statewide appeal. Conventional, FHA, and other government financing is available.

Old 09-16-2017, 10:00 PM

246 posts, read 354,987 times
Kelley's Market Trends: Residential Sales - Flathead Beacon

Old 09-18-2017, 02:43 AM

281 posts, read 873,373 times
The rents vs low paying wages is atrocious in Kalispell and eventually something has to give. Either greedy out of touch landlords will have to lower rents to a more realistic cost, or wages need to go up in order for folks to afford the rent. I can't wait to see what happens when hundreds of service jobs go unfilled with no one to work them because the low income families fled for more reasonable ground. My husband would have to work two and a half jobs for us to make it there.

Old 09-18-2017, 08:02 AM

958 posts, read 1,154,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heart View Post
The rents vs low paying wages is atrocious in Kalispell and eventually something has to give. Either greedy out of touch landlords will have to lower rents to a more realistic cost, or wages need to go up in order for folks to afford the rent. I can't wait to see what happens when hundreds of service jobs go unfilled with no one to work them because the low income families fled for more reasonable ground. My husband would have to work two and a half jobs for us to make it there.
In places like aspen, they bus people in from cheaper communities to fill the service jobs. Also, people who are desparate for work will start sharing rooms, sometimes five to a room. That is how it is done in California.

Old 09-20-2017, 10:38 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,120,076 times
After leaving the valley 8 years ago (I was happy to go, the wife not so much) and moving to a subdivision in AZ we see the same thing here as there. I've always called the valley "poverty with a view" as that's what it's always been. I was shocked to hear that people were getting $15hr to work in stores in Kalispell, when we left $9-11 hr was considered great wages.

Teachers work 2 jobs to survive as do many other occupations and have ever since the outsiders "boom" happened many years ago driving up home prices and bringing on the age of mass subdividing of farm land.
The ONLY way I'd go back would be if I built on a parcel of land (not a city lot) either a modular or site built as that's about the least expensive way to go right now.
As for Plum Creek in C-Falls, last word I heard (last week) it's not long for this world. Stoltz is still holding on but it's not like it used to be.
I've not been to the HH Dam for a few years, sad to hear it's been paved most of the way around as well as the campgrounds. That washboard road was half of the fun and one of the ways to keep mass tourists out of the area.

Old 09-21-2017, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
After leaving the valley 8 years ago (I was happy to go, the wife not so much) and moving to a subdivision in AZ we see the same thing here as there. I've always called the valley "poverty with a view" as that's what it's always been. I was shocked to hear that people were getting $15hr to work in stores in Kalispell, when we left $9-11 hr was considered great wages.

Teachers work 2 jobs to survive as do many other occupations and have ever since the outsiders "boom" happened many years ago driving up home prices and bringing on the age of mass subdividing of farm land.
The ONLY way I'd go back would be if I built on a parcel of land (not a city lot) either a modular or site built as that's about the least expensive way to go right now.
As for Plum Creek in C-Falls, last word I heard (last week) it's not long for this world. Stoltz is still holding on but it's not like it used to be.
I've not been to the HH Dam for a few years, sad to hear it's been paved most of the way around as well as the campgrounds. That washboard road was half of the fun and one of the ways to keep mass tourists out of the area.

Yup, Poverty with a view for sure. I moved their in 08 from Helena at the request of Bank Of America to work on their foreclosures. I made a TON of $$$$ but kept re-investing in my business. In hindsight i should have bought a house but then i wouldn't have the business i have now with all paid for equipment. I don't miss it anymore. For a country boy the traffic was getting out of hand for me.......

Old 09-21-2017, 09:14 AM

8,094 posts, read 15,239,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwumpus View Post
I suppose we'd have to be Amish in PA to enjoy more generational continuity.
This no longer sounds like such a bad idea.

Old 02-12-2018, 11:17 AM

Ran into this in my travels over the weekend. Less money on 40 acres than someone would have to pay for JUST THE HOUSE on a lot in the Flathead Valley.... 2245 W Co Rd 565, Negaunee, MI 49866
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana