Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2018, 04:03 PM

672 posts, read 503,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Actually, many years ago the expectation was for Kalispell and Whitefish to grow along the Hwy 93 corridor, and Columbia Falls to grow along the Hwy 40/LaSalle Road corridors, to eventually become one "megalopolis".
I don't think that will happen, now that C. Falls has no industry left except tourism.
My next planned trip to the Valley is 2019, for my 60th CFHS re-union.
Well, other than the annual trip to Glacier Meadows RV park for the Glacier/Waterton Hamfest, that is. But, I don't consider the Essex/Nyack Flats area to be part of the "Valley".
Essex and Nyack are part of the Geater Flathead Valley. Whitefish, Kalispell, Somers/Lakeside, Columbia Falls, and Bigfork are like the Hear of the Flathead. But the 'Valley' extend beyond that reach. All of Flathead County and Towns that were once part of Flathead County that are now part of Lake County and Lincoln County are considered to be part of the Flathead Valley. Towns that are South of Lakeside around Flathead Lake (on both sides), Towns and Communities around Polson & The Flathead Indian Reservation, The Flathead National Forest (Within the Flathead County Border) and The West Side of Glacier National Park (facing Flathead County) up to the Canadain Border by Trailcreek to Eureka are the Greater Flathead Valley. The Polson area is usually called the Lower Flathead Valley.

The Flathead Valley is a very large area.

Last edited by NorthwestResident; 01-28-2018 at 04:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2018, 11:43 PM

212 posts, read 417,964 times
I grew up in Sheridan Wy, and except for a few years out of state for university and big hospital experience, I have lived in Wy since 1976. People that have visited Sheridan tell me how nice it is and I think "how nice it was". It's been infected with mini Jackson Hole-ism and big box stores and big box houses where they shouldn't be and all the pavement and anxillary mess have made it a place I'm not comfortable in.

I visited Kalispell in the '80s and it was a small, western town in a beautiful location. I visited my sister in Kalispell a few years ago and didn't recognize the place. It's well on its way to full-fledged Jackson Hole-ism especially when it merges into Whitefish, which will happen in deed if not name. Houses, houses, houses. We can't seem to stop loving our special places and spaces to death.

Old 01-29-2018, 10:15 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,981,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthwestResident View Post
Essex and Nyack are part of the Geater Flathead Valley. Whitefish, Kalispell, Somers/Lakeside, Columbia Falls, and Bigfork are like the Hear of the Flathead. But the 'Valley' extend beyond that reach. All of Flathead County and Towns that were once part of Flathead County that are now part of Lake County and Lincoln County are considered to be part of the Flathead Valley. Towns that are South of Lakeside around Flathead Lake (on both sides), Towns and Communities around Polson & The Flathead Indian Reservation, The Flathead National Forest (Within the Flathead County Border) and The West Side of Glacier National Park (facing Flathead County) up to the Canadain Border by Trailcreek to Eureka are the Greater Flathead Valley. The Polson area is usually called the Lower Flathead Valley.

The Flathead Valley is a very large area.
Obviously, I disagree. "The Valley" ends at the foot of the mountains, IMO. Once you enter Bad Rock Canyon, you are leaving "The Valley". Once you leave Columbia Falls via the North Fork Road, you are leaving "The Valley". Once you enter the Swan Valley, you are leaving the Flathead Valley. If you take Highway 93 South, once you pass through Ravalli you have left "The Valley". Anyplace you go that is above 4000 ft. ASL is not in "The Valley". A valley is an area between mountains, not IN the mountains. My hometown of Hungry Horse is not, and never has been, part of the Flathead Valley! Flathead County, yes, of course. "The Valley", no.

Old 01-29-2018, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Obviously, I disagree. "The Valley" ends at the foot of the mountains, IMO. Once you enter Bad Rock Canyon, you are leaving "The Valley". Once you leave Columbia Falls via the North Fork Road, you are leaving "The Valley". Once you enter the Swan Valley, you are leaving the Flathead Valley. If you take Highway 93 South, once you pass through Ravalli you have left "The Valley". Anyplace you go that is above 4000 ft. ASL is not in "The Valley". A valley is an area between mountains, not IN the mountains. My hometown of Hungry Horse is not, and never has been, part of the Flathead Valley! Flathead County, yes, of course. "The Valley", no.
Yes, it is. All of Flathead County is part of the Flathead Valley and some parts of Lake County and a small section of Lincoln County or some of the Northwestern Towns of LC that were once part of Flathead Valley. Not they are part of the greater Flathead Valley.

I highly suggest you read some Books or do some Research into the history of Kalispell, The Flathead Valley, and Northeastern Montana. Find some old Maps and Read Old Newspapers Articles from Northwestern Montana from pre-1980.

Last edited by NorthwestResident; 01-29-2018 at 11:02 AM..

Old 01-29-2018, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthwestResident View Post
Yes, it is. All of Flathead County is part of the Flathead Valley and some parts of Lake County and a small section of Lincoln County or some of the Northwestern Towns of LC that were once part of Flathead Valley. Not they are part of the greater Flathead Valley.

I highly suggest you read some Books or do some Research into the history of Kalispell, The Flathead Valley, and Northeastern Montana. Find some old Maps and Read Old Newspapers Articles from Northwestern Montana from pre-1980.
"pre-1980"?
How about Pre-1960 when I lived there?
How about 1970 to 1982 when I worked at the Aluminum Plant?
My opinion is based on real-world experience, not books.

By the way, Northeastern Montana has nothing to do with the Flathead Valley.
Proofreading is a wonderful skill-set to develop!

Old 01-29-2018, 09:41 PM

Quote:
"pre-1980"?
How about Pre-1960 when I lived there?
How about 1970 to 1982 when I worked at the Aluminum Plant?
My opinion is based on real-world experience, not books.

By the way, Northeastern Montana has nothing to do with the Flathead Valley.
Proofreading is a wonderful skill-set to develop!
And my Family has been here since 1890. In Montana since 1882. Funny last time I check Flathead Walley was part of Northwest Montana maybe not all of NW Montana is in Flathead Valley but the Flathead Valley located is in NW M. Same here My opinion is also based on Real Life Experiences and Conversations I have. I do proofread my Posts. And as I said before try reading a History Book!

Last edited by NorthwestResident; 01-29-2018 at 09:59 PM..

Old 01-30-2018, 06:16 AM

I guess we will simply have to agree to disagree. IMO, The Valley (any valley) stops at the foothills, period.
Sure, you proofread! But, obviously, not well. Explain how this slipped through:
"I highly suggest you read some Books or do some Research into the history of Kalispell, The Flathead Valley, and Northeastern Montana."
And this:
" Flathead Walley"

Old 02-03-2018, 02:49 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,765,143 times
I wonder if whitefish evolved into walleye.

Old 02-07-2018, 05:12 PM

1,829 posts, read 2,237,648 times
I grew up in the Twin Cities in MN. As a boy, MPLS and St Paul were separate but geographically close cities. MPLS was a very small big city, and St Paul was a very large small town. On my last visit it is now all one large metropolitan area, but they still have completely different governments, and different "feels" to them. I suspect at some point Whitefish and Kalispell may physically "merge" but I am not sure that equates to they become the same place.

Old 02-08-2018, 08:33 AM

IIRC, in the early years Minneapolis and St. Paul were only a couple miles apart. It didn't take long until they overlapped.
Kalispell and Whitefish are a little over 10 miles apart. The growth predicted in the 1950s hasn't taken place yet, and, unless something (business, industry) comes to the Flathead Valley to encourage and support such growth, I don't see it happening anytime soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana