Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2018, 10:35 AM

5,583 posts, read 5,011,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGal2018 View Post
Don't move to small town Drummond. They'll eat you alive. I'm surprised I've survived 5 months here.
If you are not an inbred Montanan - you can't join the club, and...if they do accept you, question it!
Other than that, there ARE friendly towns, friendly folks, and peaceful living. Do your homework if you decide to try Montana. Me, well...I'm heading east (Montana). As a Senior, and a law-abiding citizen - I, too, would like to find that ideal little town. But, if certain small towns would rather have an inbred Montanan with a police record, eviction notice, and pot-breath over someone decent like me because I'm from another state...hey, just sayin'. Peace to you.

I would stay to the west side of Montana because of Tornado Alley.
Other than that I think we are looking for the same small town.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2018, 01:04 PM

246 posts, read 349,763 times
Affordable real estate in Montana?? BAHAHAHAHAHA! Keep looking! I left after 12 years as i could not afford to buy anything that would work for my business..............

Old 04-09-2018, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjstef View Post
Affordable real estate in Montana?? BAHAHAHAHAHA! Keep looking! I left after 12 years as i could not afford to buy anything that would work for my business..............

Old 04-09-2018, 01:31 PM

910 posts, read 1,082,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post

His experience is different from most. He was in one of the hottest real estate markets in MT.

There is plenty of affordable real estate outside of the major towns, and away from the resort areas. Stay away from Bozeman, Kalispell, and Missoula. Plus, you can find small towns within driving distance with affordable real estate around Missoula, Billings, Bozeman, and Helena.

A family member sent me an email about cheap land down in Mississippi, going for $800.00 and acre, and tons of water, cause its all swamp. Property taxes is dirt cheap. I might one day purchase some just in case Yellowstone blows, plus there is some really good hog hunting down there. Doesn't mean I ever want to live there.

Old 04-09-2018, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsvibe View Post
His experience is different from most. He was in one of the hottest real estate markets in MT.

There is plenty of affordable real estate outside of the major towns, and away from the resort areas. Stay away from Bozeman, Kalispell, and Missoula. Plus, you can find small towns within driving distance with affordable real estate around Missoula, Billings, Bozeman, and Helena.

A family member sent me an email about cheap land down in Mississippi, going for $800.00 and acre, and tons of water, cause its all swamp. Property taxes is dirt cheap. I might one day purchase some just in case Yellowstone blows, plus there is some really good hog hunting down there. Doesn't mean I ever want to live there.
I would stay away from he larger areas of Montana. Perhaps within 10-20 miles of a population area but not in a subdivision or with neighbors right next to you. Maybe areas like Marion or Helena?

Old 04-10-2018, 12:58 PM

910 posts, read 1,082,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
I would stay away from he larger areas of Montana. Perhaps within 10-20 miles of a population area but not in a subdivision or with neighbors right next to you. Maybe areas like Marion or Helena?
Helena is unique in that the valley is very diverse. Right now, the cheapest home for sale is a 3 bed 2 bath trailer on a tiny lot in town for $27,900.00. The most expensive is a 4 bed 3 bath home with 1,340 acres for 3.3 million. All within a single valley with a population of 60,000 people.

So you can choose to live downtown, or in the north valley where most homes sit on 5 to 100 acres. You can purchase a home on one of the golf courses, or property by the lake. You can get a home on the valley floor, or purchase one in the foothills, with a commanding view of the entire valley. Or you can choose to purchase a home in the mountains, surrounded by pine trees, secluded with only a couple of neighbors. The options in Helena are endless.

Old 04-11-2018, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsvibe View Post
Helena is unique in that the valley is very diverse. Right now, the cheapest home for sale is a 3 bed 2 bath trailer on a tiny lot in town for $27,900.00. The most expensive is a 4 bed 3 bath home with 1,340 acres for 3.3 million. All within a single valley with a population of 60,000 people.

So you can choose to live downtown, or in the north valley where most homes sit on 5 to 100 acres. You can purchase a home on one of the golf courses, or property by the lake. You can get a home on the valley floor, or purchase one in the foothills, with a commanding view of the entire valley. Or you can choose to purchase a home in the mountains, surrounded by pine trees, secluded with only a couple of neighbors. The options in Helena are endless.
Secluded with little or no neighbors and no traffic or traffic signals are all ideal. A home not older than 2005 2,500+ sq ft with 1+ acres.

Old 04-11-2018, 07:27 PM

8,495 posts, read 8,783,634 times
These are the very, very few closest matches I found for Helena on quick search https://www.zillow.com/homes/?search...ble%22:true%7D

Maybe it is different for places far enough outside Helena to not have a Helena address.

fwiw the OP indicated elsewhere that their attention had turned to Maine.

Old 04-12-2018, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
These are the very, very few closest matches I found for Helena on quick search https://www.zillow.com/homes/?search...ble%22:true%7D

Maybe it is different for places far enough outside Helena to not have a Helena address.

fwiw the OP indicated elsewhere that their attention had turned to Maine.
Thanks!
Is there much difference between East Helena and Helena?

Old 04-12-2018, 04:14 PM

8,495 posts, read 8,783,634 times
By the stats, Helena's population is 4 times as dense, 2/3rds higher on rate of college graduates, about 25% higher on average income, in houses 40% more expensive.

Homes newer than 2005 are pretty uncommon in both places (about one in ten). Homes in 200-299k range in East Helena, about 7% of total and not much above that (like 2%). In Helena, about 35% are in that 200s range. 14% are more expensive, with a slim majority of those in the 300s.

So yeah, there are differences. Probably some neighborhoods that are similar but the more well to do are far more common in Helena. Both places have advantages. Depends how you weight the factors.

Last edited by NW Crow; 04-12-2018 at 04:27 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana