Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2018, 04:45 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,538,052 times

Advertisements

Do you need know more than that East Helena is a Superfund site?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2018, 07:26 PM

8,502 posts, read 8,805,720 times
Oh, yeah. Thanks for reminder. Always gotta ask: was there ever a smelter nearby or the mines themselves (or lumber mill, rail yard, refinery, chemical plant, weapons factory or depot, landfill, etc.)?

https://cumulis.epa.gov/supercpad/cu...cfm?id=0800377

Still working on remediation. May take 5 more years or longer. Risk doesn't go to zero but hopefully better. Didn't think about the groundwater issue. Nearby areas could also have risk even outside
official site boundaries.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Superfund_sites
National list of at least 1500 sites. So for a lot people it is how near you are now vs. somewhere else. Most states will have dozens and of course they tend to be near settled areas where industries and workers were / are.

Folks are rightly concerned with the biggest, worst sites. But if you or your neighbor or predecessor used pesticides, spilled, poured out or buried chemicals, paint cans, had a structure fire or a trash fire, etc. there could be issues at mini hotspots.

Last edited by NW Crow; 04-12-2018 at 08:18 PM..

Old 04-13-2018, 04:51 PM

910 posts, read 1,083,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
Do you need know more than that East Helena is a Superfund site?
This was remediated awhile ago. The only thing left is a big slag pile that the EPA has REFUSED to allow it to be addressed. They have a whole bunch of jobs depending on them dragging this thing out for another decade. Many companies have expressed interest is taking the slag, the EPA said that "there isn't any way to safely move the slag", so they have literally sat on it. The city of East Helena wants to turn the site into a sports complex. The wells that they drilled to monitor the groundwater show that the heavy metals are concentrated in an area directly below the former smelter. Heavy metals are easily filtered from well water. They have also rerouted Prickly Pear Creek. During the initial cleanup, they removed topsoil from all of the homes near the smelter as a precaution. There is very little risk at this point.

Old 04-23-2018, 06:58 PM

246 posts, read 350,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
I would stay away from he larger areas of Montana. Perhaps within 10-20 miles of a population area but not in a subdivision or with neighbors right next to you. Maybe areas like Marion or Helena?

Marion is no better than Kalispell and then you have to drive the death road to town. The number of wrecks on 2 between Kalispell and Marion Hill are unreal.....

Old 04-23-2018, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsvibe View Post
His experience is different from most. He was in one of the hottest real estate markets in MT.

There is plenty of affordable real estate outside of the major towns, and away from the resort areas. Stay away from Bozeman, Kalispell, and Missoula. Plus, you can find small towns within driving distance with affordable real estate around Missoula, Billings, Bozeman, and Helena.

A family member sent me an email about cheap land down in Mississippi, going for $800.00 and acre, and tons of water, cause its all swamp. Property taxes is dirt cheap. I might one day purchase some just in case Yellowstone blows, plus there is some really good hog hunting down there. Doesn't mean I ever want to live there.

Eric,

Not really true. I was living in Boulder and working in Helena as an excavation foreman for $16 an hour from 04-08. It barely paid the bills and i'm told wages are only about $20 an hour for the same work today. The economy tanked in 08 and i moved to the Flathead to run a BOA contract on foreclosures. Made DAMN good money but never enough to buy anything. Made enough to ESCAPE in the end.

Rural areas have cheaper housing, This is true but you burn the difference up in gas and vehicle wear and tear. Their relly are no livable wages in the smaller towns thus everyone commutes.....

Old 04-23-2018, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsvibe View Post
His experience is different from most. He was in one of the hottest real estate markets in MT.

There is plenty of affordable real estate outside of the major towns, and away from the resort areas. Stay away from Bozeman, Kalispell, and Missoula. Plus, you can find small towns within driving distance with affordable real estate around Missoula, Billings, Bozeman, and Helena.

A family member sent me an email about cheap land down in Mississippi, going for $800.00 and acre, and tons of water, cause its all swamp. Property taxes is dirt cheap. I might one day purchase some just in case Yellowstone blows, plus there is some really good hog hunting down there. Doesn't mean I ever want to live there.

Ericsvibe, Find ANYTHING like this in Montana on 20+ acres within driving distance to decent jobs for this price.......

Residential for sale in Antigo, Wisconsin, 170299

Or this on 8 acres.... Residential for sale in Park Falls, Wisconsin, 168477

Or this on 10 acres..... Residential for sale in Watersmeet, Michigan, 167638

Old 04-23-2018, 09:13 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,587,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjstef View Post
Ericsvibe, Find ANYTHING like this in Montana on 20+ acres within driving distance to decent jobs for this price.......

Residential for sale in Antigo, Wisconsin, 170299

Or this on 8 acres.... Residential for sale in Park Falls, Wisconsin, 168477

Or this on 10 acres..... Residential for sale in Watersmeet, Michigan, 167638
Yep, but then you're still in Wisconsin or Michigan, not Montana.

Desert land in Nevada is cheap too, doesn't mean I want to live there.

For some of us, money isn't the only thing we dream about.

Old 04-23-2018, 10:28 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,958,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
Yep, but then you're still in Wisconsin or Michigan, not Montana.

Desert land in Nevada is cheap too, doesn't mean I want to live there.

For some of us, money isn't the only thing we dream about.
People may not dream about money but I bet most dream about more than getting by or not being poor. You can spout all the poetry you want, but in fact, you need money to live.

Old 04-24-2018, 07:57 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,587,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
People may not dream about money but I bet most dream about more than getting by or not being poor. You can spout all the poetry you want, but in fact, you need money to live.
Yep, that is true. However, I don't need a McMansion, I don't need to drive a new car each year, and I prefer to be happy to being rich. I like living the way I want in a place I want to be. Money is just a tool for getting stuff, and I don't need a lot of stuff as long as I have a place to live, enough to eat, and money to buy fuel to go fishing, hunting, camping, hiking, gathering wild edibles, and to make sure my family and parents are provided for.
Beyond that, I don't care if I have a few million stashed in the bank. I don't derive my self worth from my paycheck.

I've never understood the mindset of those that blame an inanimate object like a state for their own failings and shortcomings.

I've never liked California, especially while I was stationed there, but I did my job, and left. I've never had to go back and blame California for all the evils in the world, or that I didn't get the job I wanted, or that I wasn't appreciated for the special person that I am there.

I don't go troll their state board on City Data either just to make sure everybody knows how miserable I am that I didn't make a fortune there.

You live in North Dakota now right? Why not spend your time there instead of attacking a state you left?

Old 04-24-2018, 08:36 AM

5,586 posts, read 5,024,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjstef View Post
Marion is no better than Kalispell and then you have to drive the death road to town. The number of wrecks on 2 between Kalispell and Marion Hill are unreal.....
Which town has the best roads with the lowest traffic collisions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana