Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2018, 12:45 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,533,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisterhunter View Post
I will keep that in mind thank you. I didn't think it would be a big deal commuting but I don't have a clue how bad that highway gets. its pretty flat through there with some rolling hills. at 52 I am finally able to move to MT it has been a dream for a long time. thanks again
The Billings area does not typically get as much snow as other parts of the state. But this winter Billings had lots of snow, so you never know. Billings vicinity does always have icy roads in the winter due to freezing rain/fog. This is probably because of the Yellowstone River. So studded snow tires would be a good idea on whatever vehicles you will drive in the winter. Just be prepared to take it slow on those days. Crews sand but salt is rarely used in Montana.

If you locate off a highway or public road not on a school bus route, you will want 4wheel drive. School bus routes are plowed first. So where you land & what snow removal equipment you have, will determine what vehicles will work for you.

3/4 ton (or 1 ton) 4wheel drive non dually pickups with studded snow tires (&chains for extreme) will be at the top of most people's best choice for winter driving list. But many winter days a car with good tires will be fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2018, 01:03 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,582,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
For many years I drove AMC Eagle vehicles. I had a couple of station wagons (one rolled over 200K miles with minimal maintenance!), a 4 door sedan, a 2 door Sport Coupe, and an SX/4 Sport. IMO, those cars were the greatest vehicles ever built for snow country.
Completely agree!! Too bad they quit making them. I still have a 1980 Eagle station wagon. Love the way it handles snow and ice

Old 04-25-2018, 02:39 PM

7 posts, read 18,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
Completely agree!! Too bad they quit making them. I still have a 1980 Eagle station wagon. Love the way it handles snow and ice

I use to love those old eagles they were great for the mountains here when it snowed. maybe I will try to find an old one and bring it back to life.

Old 04-25-2018, 09:31 PM

5,586 posts, read 5,017,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Subaru vehicles are great for year-round use. Personally, I used to be partial to the Outback, either the wagon or the sedan (I had both). However, as I got older, it became more difficult to fold myself into them. I have been considering the Forester or the Baja, if I can find one.
Our PT Cruiser seems to get around just fine in the winter, though, so chances are we will just keep it, and stay out of 2 foot snow drifts. It does tend to get stuck in those things!
I have had Jeep CJs and Wranglers, also. The Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited I had was a great vehicle, both for local travel and long trips. I ran aggressive tread M&S tires on it year round, as I have always done with my four wheel drive vehicles.
For many years I drove AMC Eagle vehicles. I had a couple of station wagons (one rolled over 200K miles with minimal maintenance!), a 4 door sedan, a 2 door Sport Coupe, and an SX/4 Sport. IMO, those cars were the greatest vehicles ever built for snow country.
As previously stated, tires are just as (if not more) important than the vehicle. If I were to want studded tires, I would get a set of wheels to mount them on. It makes switching much easier!
Always remember, four wheel drive will help you get going, but it has limited utility in stopping or going around corners. I see over-confident 4X4 drivers in the ditch all winter long!
So leave the Corvettes and Dodge Challenger Hellcats in the garage and bring them out in the summer?

Old 04-26-2018, 07:21 AM

160 posts, read 301,312 times
An Audi with Quattro diffs + dedicated snow tires is an absolute freight train in the white stuff.

Old 04-26-2018, 07:44 AM

Perhaps something like a Toyota RAV 4 or a Grand Jeep Cherokee? A vehicle with lots of ground clearance?

Old 04-26-2018, 08:39 AM

5,401 posts, read 6,533,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
So leave the Corvettes and Dodge Challenger Hellcats in the garage and bring them out in the summer?
The corvette yes, the challenger maybe. MT troopers drive chargers. Depending on where you land, it might be only a couple days out of a month you wouldn't want to be out in a car.

Old 04-26-2018, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
The corvette yes, the challenger maybe. MT troopers drive chargers. Depending on where you land, it might be only a couple days out of a month you wouldn't want to be out in a car.

Old 04-30-2018, 11:14 AM

8 posts, read 9,794 times
This really has been an atypical winter compared to what we usually have. That being said, that stretch of road can be a little dicey in places especially as you get closer to Billings. If you are cautious, you should be fine. Welcome to Montana!

Old 04-30-2018, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chordmaker View Post
This really has been an atypical winter compared to what we usually have. That being said, that stretch of road can be a little dicey in places especially as you get closer to Billings. If you are cautious, you should be fine. Welcome to Montana!
Montana has been getting lots of snow fall breaking the record this year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana