Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2018, 04:51 PM

7 posts, read 18,647 times

Advertisements

hi everyone. I am planning on moving to the Billings area in a couple of months and have a few questions if you guys and gals could help me out.

I am looking at property east of billings around Pompeys pillar and that area and was wondering how bad the commute would be from those areas to billings? I will be semi retired but my daughter and son in law will be going to school and working in Billings. should I try keep it under 30 miles? how bad are the freeways during storms? any advice would be greatly appreciated. thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2018, 06:40 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,524,829 times
That is very commutable distance. MT road crews are very responsive to snow storms.

I would only caution you to check school ratings if you & yours will have children in public system. That is in the Huntley Project school district.

Old 04-19-2018, 08:31 AM

I will keep that in mind thank you. I didn't think it would be a big deal commuting but I don't have a clue how bad that highway gets. its pretty flat through there with some rolling hills. at 52 I am finally able to move to MT it has been a dream for a long time. thanks again

Old 04-19-2018, 05:17 PM

910 posts, read 1,081,380 times
Welcome to Montana. The highways get plowed pretty quick. With a 4x4, or all wheel drive, and some good studded winter tires, you won't have any problems with the snow.

Just be prepared for purchasing a winter wardrobe. It isn't cheap, and having good winter boots, gloves, and coat could be the difference between a close call, and a life threatening situation. I would make sure your daughter and son in law are prepared. Every year a person in their 20's winds up freezing to death, because they were either drunk, or didn't think that walking was a big deal, and was unprepared.

Old 04-23-2018, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsvibe View Post
Welcome to Montana. The highways get plowed pretty quick. With a 4x4, or all wheel drive, and some good studded winter tires, you won't have any problems with the snow.

Just be prepared for purchasing a winter wardrobe. It isn't cheap, and having good winter boots, gloves, and coat could be the difference between a close call, and a life threatening situation. I would make sure your daughter and son in law are prepared. Every year a person in their 20's winds up freezing to death, because they were either drunk, or didn't think that walking was a big deal, and was unprepared.

yes thanks for the advice. we grew up in the mountains out here so we do have a little experience. have spent a ton of time hunting and fishing in CO,MT,UT and WY. We have been buying tons of warm clothes and we all have 4x4 Chevy trucks. been doing research on emergency equipment for our vehicles. I have friends in Joliet and Belgrade ive been getting info and advice from them too. thank you for your response and advice

Old 04-23-2018, 02:07 PM

9,885 posts, read 10,967,002 times
Today (23 April 2018) it is 36 degrees and snowing! We just got home from Great Falls, driving through that mess in a Class A motorhome.
One quarter to one half mile visibility, the snow would build up on the wipers to the point that I had to put them on high speed to break the build up off (that usually worked). The highway was mostly clear, but the closer we got to Billings, the more slush there was on the road surface. If it freezes tonight (likely), the roads in the morning may be, shall we say, Interesting!
I have a friend that commutes from Worden to Billings all winter. The freeways (I-94 and I-90) are usually good (but then he drives a Jeep Wrangler). Hwy 312, however, is two lanes and can be exciting. But, keep in mind that ANY road in Montana may be a literal ice-skating rink at some point during the winter. In fact, it may be that slippery many times for several months.
The commute you describe is doable; many people do it now. You will learn to cope with the weather, or you won't last the first winter!

Old 04-25-2018, 10:06 AM

5,583 posts, read 5,003,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Today (23 April 2018) it is 36 degrees and snowing! We just got home from Great Falls, driving through that mess in a Class A motorhome.
One quarter to one half mile visibility, the snow would build up on the wipers to the point that I had to put them on high speed to break the build up off (that usually worked). The highway was mostly clear, but the closer we got to Billings, the more slush there was on the road surface. If it freezes tonight (likely), the roads in the morning may be, shall we say, Interesting!
I have a friend that commutes from Worden to Billings all winter. The freeways (I-94 and I-90) are usually good (but then he drives a Jeep Wrangler). Hwy 312, however, is two lanes and can be exciting. But, keep in mind that ANY road in Montana may be a literal ice-skating rink at some point during the winter. In fact, it may be that slippery many times for several months.
The commute you describe is doable; many people do it now. You will learn to cope with the weather, or you won't last the first winter!
What kind of vehicles are ideal for the snow and weather in Montana?

Old 04-25-2018, 11:11 AM

6,756 posts, read 8,573,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
What kind of vehicles are ideal for the snow and weather in Montana?
Depends on where you want to go. If you never leave the highway, any good front wheel drive car with studded tires will work, all wheel drive is better.

4x4s are a good default if you plan on driving on gravel or unimproved roads, or want to go camping or hunting away from the highways. Pickups work well, Jeeps are a good choice, but stay away from the older CJ's, Suzuki samaris and Toyota landcruisers, they are too narrow and short with a high center of gravity, really exciting when your rear end tries to pass the front on an icy road, or when it rolls on a steep forest service road.

You don't need an expensive exotic vehicle to drive on snow and ice as long as you have good tires, good breaks, and if you don't have studs, a good set of chains.

Old 04-25-2018, 11:14 AM

5,583 posts, read 5,003,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
Depends on where you want to go. If you never leave the highway, any good front wheel drive car with studded tires will work, all wheel drive is better.

4x4s are a good default if you plan on driving on gravel or unimproved roads, or want to go camping or hunting away from the highways. Pickups work well, Jeeps are a good choice, but stay away from the older CJ's, Suzuki samaris and Toyota landcruisers, they are too narrow and short with a high center of gravity, really exciting when your rear end tries to pass the front on an icy road, or when it rolls on a steep forest service road.

You don't need an expensive exotic vehicle to drive on snow and ice as long as you have good tires, good breaks, and if you don't have studs, a good set of chains.

I am quite used to having rear end come around on me as my cars are rear wheel drive.

Old 04-25-2018, 12:10 PM

9,885 posts, read 10,967,002 times
Subaru vehicles are great for year-round use. Personally, I used to be partial to the Outback, either the wagon or the sedan (I had both). However, as I got older, it became more difficult to fold myself into them. I have been considering the Forester or the Baja, if I can find one.
Our PT Cruiser seems to get around just fine in the winter, though, so chances are we will just keep it, and stay out of 2 foot snow drifts. It does tend to get stuck in those things!
I have had Jeep CJs and Wranglers, also. The Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited I had was a great vehicle, both for local travel and long trips. I ran aggressive tread M&S tires on it year round, as I have always done with my four wheel drive vehicles.
For many years I drove AMC Eagle vehicles. I had a couple of station wagons (one rolled over 200K miles with minimal maintenance!), a 4 door sedan, a 2 door Sport Coupe, and an SX/4 Sport. IMO, those cars were the greatest vehicles ever built for snow country.
As previously stated, tires are just as (if not more) important than the vehicle. If I were to want studded tires, I would get a set of wheels to mount them on. It makes switching much easier!
Always remember, four wheel drive will help you get going, but it has limited utility in stopping or going around corners. I see over-confident 4X4 drivers in the ditch all winter long!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana