Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 08:25 AM

938 posts, read 2,905,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
You might not "buy" it, but most who live here are actually experiencing and living it. We have most of the amenities of a large city without most of the negatives. It is a terrific place to live, work, or play.
Also, Kiplingers and Forbes are not exactly nobody magazines. I don't know of your particular bias, but jealousy has no place here. We all want to see all of West Virginia be successful.
When I say I "don't buy it" I was mostly referring to the 5 million towns around here that claim they are amongst the top 10 places to live. And their sources are the same type of thing. Time, Kiplingers, Forbes, USA Today, etc. And to be fair, each are nice places and just as nice as Morgantown. But, like Morgantown, I really don't see what is so unique about any of these towns that sets them apart from so many other nice towns.

As for my "bias", I lived in Morgantown for 8 years until 2011. Its the best place in the world to go to college, but I outgrew it. I'm from WV...love WV...always will defend WV and her people. But once I moved, I realized how much nicer some other areas of the country really are and how limited Morgantown truly is. I know its tough to swallow...but its the truth. I used to talk up Morgantown myself, just look at my post history around 2007-2010. But, honestly, I just can't say I think its as great as the hype. Mostly because it just doesn't offer the amenities of a major metro. Most notably, infrastructure, culture, transportation, high-end shopping, non-chain restaurants, etc. I got all of that where I live now. Plus no crime or "big city problems", either. I honestly can't think of any ways how living in Morgantown is in any way, shape, or form nicer than living on the Montgomery-Bucks area of the Philly Burbs where I live now for me personally. Access to watching my alma mater play football and basketball is the only thing I can think of. But, hey, if Morgantown is the best place in the universe for you, that's fine, too.

Yes, I know, all of you think Morgantown is the greatest little place in the universe...and that's fine...but others don't...and that's fine, too. This is a discussion board. And you have to accept that people who like discussing Morgantown might scoff at the idea of it being considered so amazing to the big cheerleaders on here. I like keeping up with the town, so I visit the forum...but lets be honest...there is no way I'd move away from where I live now. And I have no problems expressing this...nor should this opinion be censored or discouraged.

Old 08-09-2013, 10:10 PM

17 posts, read 28,913 times
"I honestly can't think of any ways how living in Morgantown is in any way, shape, or form nicer than living on the Montgomery-Bucks area of the Philly Burbs where I live now for me personally."

1. Traffic. Do you not mind traffic?
2. Do you own a home? If so, have you checked your property tax bill? PA has very high property taxes compared to WV. Even with Morgantown's inflated housing market, one can get a comparable house for much cheaper in Morgantown than in the Philly suburbs (The property tax bill last year for my house in Morgantown was $600 less than the bill for the house I still own in Florida despite the fact that the assessed value of the Morgantown house is $220,000 more than the house in FL). Granted this is a tradeoff as Morgantown's infrastructure (esp roads) are worse than Philly suburbs.

Old 08-09-2013, 11:00 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,106,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUPharm2007 View Post
When I say I "don't buy it" I was mostly referring to the 5 million towns around here that claim they are amongst the top 10 places to live. And their sources are the same type of thing. Time, Kiplingers, Forbes, USA Today, etc. And to be fair, each are nice places and just as nice as Morgantown. But, like Morgantown, I really don't see what is so unique about any of these towns that sets them apart from so many other nice towns.

As for my "bias", I lived in Morgantown for 8 years until 2011. Its the best place in the world to go to college, but I outgrew it. I'm from WV...love WV...always will defend WV and her people. But once I moved, I realized how much nicer some other areas of the country really are and how limited Morgantown truly is. I know its tough to swallow...but its the truth. I used to talk up Morgantown myself, just look at my post history around 2007-2010. But, honestly, I just can't say I think its as great as the hype. Mostly because it just doesn't offer the amenities of a major metro. Most notably, infrastructure, culture, transportation, high-end shopping, non-chain restaurants, etc. I got all of that where I live now. Plus no crime or "big city problems", either. I honestly can't think of any ways how living in Morgantown is in any way, shape, or form nicer than living on the Montgomery-Bucks area of the Philly Burbs where I live now for me personally. Access to watching my alma mater play football and basketball is the only thing I can think of. But, hey, if Morgantown is the best place in the universe for you, that's fine, too.

Yes, I know, all of you think Morgantown is the greatest little place in the universe...and that's fine...but others don't...and that's fine, too. This is a discussion board. And you have to accept that people who like discussing Morgantown might scoff at the idea of it being considered so amazing to the big cheerleaders on here. I like keeping up with the town, so I visit the forum...but lets be honest...there is no way I'd move away from where I live now. And I have no problems expressing this...nor should this opinion be censored or discouraged.
You're not going to please everybody anywhere. Morgantown gets more legitimate awards than nearly any place else. Like you said in your post... we are not a "major" metro. In my view that is one the the terrific things about our city. For one thing, crime is virtually non existent. I lived for many years in the NYC area, and compared with that about any other "metro" seems small time. You have more Broadway plays on Broadway, but honestly the average person in what you call a major metro goes to maybe 2 or 3 of those a year. We have more than that here in Morgantown, and it doesn't cost $150 to get in the door. Our dining options are varied and growing. I'm curious, since your position is that every town wins awards from national publications, how many national awards did Bucks County win last year? Here in West Virginia, we consistently win more than the rest of the state combined.

I'm not going to discourage you from expressing your opinion. It just seems strangely out of place on this board. I know I don't go to other cities boards with the purpose of talking them down simply because I prefer something else. We're proud of what our city has and what it has accomplished. I would hope that you respect that. We get it done here with virtually no assistance from our state government. That alone makes us rather unique in terms of cities that have more than 50,000 inhabitants most of the year.

I never really cared much for the Philly area. Some of the suburbs are nice, as you pointed out, but the city itself is sorely lacking. If I were going to actually look for a major metro (which I am not), Philly would not be high on my list in spite of it's nice art gallery. We have a lot going for us here in Morgantown that you can not find most other places... a terrific job climate in a growing economy, outstanding sports offerings for a small city, a terrific arts scene with literally dozens of concerts, plays, and exhibitions every year, terrific healthcare options, and awesome outdoor venues right out the back door. There is a reason our real estate prices are high... people want to be here.

Old 08-12-2013, 08:03 AM

938 posts, read 2,905,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wv-morgantown View Post
"I honestly can't think of any ways how living in Morgantown is in any way, shape, or form nicer than living on the Montgomery-Bucks area of the Philly Burbs where I live now for me personally."

1. Traffic. Do you not mind traffic?
2. Do you own a home? If so, have you checked your property tax bill? PA has very high property taxes compared to WV. Even with Morgantown's inflated housing market, one can get a comparable house for much cheaper in Morgantown than in the Philly suburbs (The property tax bill last year for my house in Morgantown was $600 less than the bill for the house I still own in Florida despite the fact that the assessed value of the Morgantown house is $220,000 more than the house in FL). Granted this is a tradeoff as Morgantown's infrastructure (esp roads) are worse than Philly suburbs.
1. Traffic in Morgantown is worse. I can drive any direction in rush hour at at least 25 MPH. On 705, it can take 45 minutes to go 1 mile. Morgantown traffic is the stuff of nightmares.

2. Taxes are more expensive, but you get what you pay for. I don't necessarily see it as a bad thing. They lead to better schools, teachers are paid more, better infrastructure, a train that goes into the downtown of a major metro minutes from my house, etc. My home is about 2000 sq foot and cost me $245,000. That's pretty comparable to the Suncrest area. Morgantown is a successful town, home prices in the middle of the action will be expensive.

And almost as if to prove my point, Money Magazine just released their list. Two Philly suburbs made the list. Horsham, which is literally across the street from me, and Goshen Township. I really don't see what makes these towns stand out from any of the others around them. Especially considering that they all blend together. Also, Morgantown isn't on the list. But, again, the list is stupid, so don't feel bad.

Old 08-12-2013, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUPharm2007 View Post
1. Traffic in Morgantown is worse. I can drive any direction in rush hour at at least 25 MPH. On 705, it can take 45 minutes to go 1 mile. Morgantown traffic is the stuff of nightmares.

2. Taxes are more expensive, but you get what you pay for. I don't necessarily see it as a bad thing. They lead to better schools, teachers are paid more, better infrastructure, a train that goes into the downtown of a major metro minutes from my house, etc. My home is about 2000 sq foot and cost me $245,000. That's pretty comparable to the Suncrest area. Morgantown is a successful town, home prices in the middle of the action will be expensive.

And almost as if to prove my point, Money Magazine just released their list. Two Philly suburbs made the list. Horsham, which is literally across the street from me, and Goshen Township. I really don't see what makes these towns stand out from any of the others around them. Especially considering that they all blend together. Also, Morgantown isn't on the list. But, again, the list is stupid, so don't feel bad.
I can't argue about our traffic. It is bad, largely because state government has not kept up their end of the bargain but they are making some improvements recently. 705 is now multi lane from end to end, and there is a roundabout at the intersection with Mileground that is a major improvement. Mileground to Point Marion Road will be expanded within the next 2 years so there will be good flow on that end of town. Beechurst will still be a mess, but I have to believe they will do something about that too.

My 1900 square foot townhouse on the hill over Marilla Park cost $225,000, so housing costs are not really much out of line with larger cities and our taxes are miniscule compared with what I paid in the Connecticut suburbs of NYC. Our schools are actually quite good in Mon County, especially on the eastern side of the county. Morgantown High has actually produced a couple Rhodes Scholars.

I agree with you that no city makes everyone's lists. Still, our awards are notable, especially for a small town. http://www.morgantownwv.gov/about/awards/

By the way, I was in Bucks County this morning on my way here from Allentown, where we stayed last night.

Old 08-14-2013, 07:46 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,909,102 times
Too much opinion here that is irrelevant to the ranking.

People should be happy that Morgantown is one of the best places to live in the country instead of being jealous and getting angry.

Old 08-14-2013, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
Too much opinion here that is irrelevant to the ranking.

People should be happy that Morgantown is one of the best places to live in the country instead of being jealous and getting angry.
This is exactly right. We have most of the big city amenities without the negatives (well... except for heavy traffic). We're just fine with continued prosperity and measured growth. We really don't want to be a Philly or a Detriot.

Old 08-19-2013, 04:27 PM

376 posts, read 731,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVAtoCNC View Post
Nothing about Motown, but about the list - they have Columbia SC as fifth - doesn't say much for this list. Ohhh - just noted, Little Rock AR #1 - this list is a joke, right?
I think most people were probably saying that about Morgantown. LOL

Lot of people retire in Columbia. I don't think people are flocking to the wilds of West Virginia for cold winters in their retirment unless they are WVU grads.

Old 08-19-2013, 05:00 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,909,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHarrison84 View Post
I think most people were probably saying that about Morgantown. LOL

Lot of people retire in Columbia. I don't think people are flocking to the wilds of West Virginia for cold winters in their retirment unless they are WVU grads.
Lol, no. Morgantown makes tons of best of list. Nobody is surprised when it is considered one of the best cities in america. Funny you should mention retirement, AARP rated it one of the best places to retire.

You are entitled to an opinion but it represents only your views and nobody else's.

Old 08-19-2013, 05:30 PM

376 posts, read 731,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
Lol, no. Morgantown makes tons of best of list. Nobody is surprised when it is considered one of the best cities in america. Funny you should mention retirement, AARP rated it one of the best places to retire.

You are entitled to an opinion but it represents only your views and nobody else's.
You are stating the obvious there when you say my opinion only respresents my views and nobody elses.

Morgantown makes a lot of lists but those people doing the lists don't live there nor do they move there.

More people retire in Columbia than Morgantown. There's a bit more to Columbia than the university as well.

I don't have anythign against MOrgantown but I was amused to see some dude from there smirking about Columbia. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown