Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 08:06 PM

376 posts, read 731,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
LOL, sure. If you say so. However, everyone can see you are right when you prove that statement, so prove it.

So like I said I eagerly await your support.

BTW, ironically according to Danth's law you just lost the argument

Basic internet laws.
You are a snarky one. LOL

I think the lurkers on this forum, the people who read the comments but do not post comments themselves, the SIlent Majority as I call them, agree with me that Columbia is more attractive to more people than Motown.

It is they who I want to give a voice on here. It isn't about me.

The only thing to do in Motown is burn some couches when the local college beats football powerhouse Marshall. LOL

Old 08-19-2013, 08:13 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,909,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHarrison84 View Post

I think the lurkers on this forum, the people who read the comments but do not post comments themselves, the SIlent Majority as I call them, agree with me that Columbia is more attractive to more people than Motown.

The only thing to do in Motown is burn some couches when the local college beats football powerhouse Marshall. LOL
You also think that NOBODY retires to Morgantown and anyone with the money to buy hamburgers from anywhere other than McDonalds will always do so meaning that every burger sold at McDonalds is because someone didnt have the money to buy a hamburger from somewhere else. I am sure people care greatly about what you think, espcially after your compelling argument where you refused to support anything you said and hiliriously brought up Danth's law.

Old 08-19-2013, 08:14 PM

I think most people just trying to figure out why you keep talking about McDonalds. LOL

I guess that is the only restaurant you guys have in Motown? LOL LOL LOL LOL LOLCOPTER

Old 08-19-2013, 08:17 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,106,270 times
Quote:
There are no good jobs in Morgantown, people there just work in retail / restaurants. It's a smaller town so it makes sense there is less crime there than a bigger city.

Columbia is 1.5 hours to Charlotte, 3 hours or so to Atlanta. Do you not consider these major population centers? LOL

You guys are close to Pittsburgh. LOL I'd rather be close to Charleston and the beach.

I don't know what you mean by outdoor venues but Columbia has two nice lakes nearby.
Let me make this easy for you...

CRIME RATES (Higher = More Crime)
US Average 319.1
Columbia, SC 549.9
Morgantown, WV 213.3

PERCENTAGE OF PERMANENT RESIDENTS WITH B.A. DEGREE OR HIGHER
Columbia, SC 35.7%
Morgantown, WV 46.6%

UNEMPLOYMENT RATES
Columbia, SC 7.7%
Morgantown, WV 4.4%

There are plenty of jobs, and good jobs in Morgantown. We are a national research center, home to a thriving pharmaceutical company, headquarters to 2 large companies, and a major university. Even with a growing population, the job rate remains among the lowest in the country. Pittsburgh is an outstanding city to be near for those who don't really want to live inside a large city but want one available for the amenities when desired. They have world class museums and galleries, a first rate amusement park, a thousand restaurants of many varieties, a world renowned symphony orchestra, and professional sports.
Charleston, SC is a lovely city (I won't disagree with that), but it offers little of what a large city offers.

There are lots of reasons Morgantown is becoming a destination city.

Old 08-19-2013, 08:26 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,106,270 times
Quote:

I retired to Morgantown because of the many things that make it a desirable retirement location. We have outstanding healthcare options readily available. We have awesome outdoor venues right out our back door. We have a low crime rate, a highly educated and employed prosperous population, and wonderful activities for retirees provided by our major university. We have a wide variety of eateries including some of the first rate category. And, we are close enough to a large city that we can be there in short order when we want to be there. We no longer play Marshall in football here.

I've been to crime ridden Columbia, SC. You'd have to pay me a lot of money to retire there. If you like it there, then they should be glad they have you because I believe for folks around here it would be considered a major step down.

Old 08-19-2013, 08:28 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,903,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post

US Average 319.1
Columbia, SC 549.9
Morgantown, WV 213.3

Columbia, SC 35.7%
Morgantown, WV 46.6%

UNEMPLOYMENT RATES
Columbia, SC 7.7%
Morgantown, WV 4.4%

There are plenty of jobs, and good jobs in Morgantown. We are a national research center, home to a thriving pharmaceutical company, headquarters to 2 large companies, and a major university. Even with a growing population, the job rate remains among the lowest in the country. Pittsburgh is an outstanding city to be near for those who don't really want to live inside a large city but want one available for the amenities when desired. They have world class museums and galleries, a first rate amusement park, a thousand restaurants of many varieties, a world renowned symphony orchestra, and professional sports.
Charleston, SC is a lovely city (I won't disagree with that), but it offers little of what a large city offers.

Good post with good facts! Rep to you. Actually, as of June 2013, if you look at the counties that both Columbia and Morgantown are in, the unemployment for Richland County (Columbia) is 8.5 and the unemployment for Monongalia County (Morgantown) is 4.2. Way to go Morgantown!

Old 08-19-2013, 08:28 PM

Morgantown's stats are skewed on education because it is a college town and lot of people there as a percentage of the entire population are going to be affialated with the university, professors and graduate student types. Clemson SC has a higher precentage of educated people but there are no jobs there outside of the university so it is a silly stat.

To me, a larger town should have lower unemployment than a larger city because a larger city has more people looking for jobs and also will have a larger poor / low skilled population.

I don't see why overall unemployment stats matter though, as long as you have a job. I think most people who could obtain a job in both cities would prefer Columbia.

Most people have to look at a map to even know how to get to Morgantown, it is just not on the way anywhere, walled off by the mountains from the east coast.

It could be the nicest city in the world but it's geographical location negates all that.

Old 08-19-2013, 08:30 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,903,963 times
Quote:
I've been to crime ridden Columbia, SC. You'd have to pay me a lot of money to retire there. If you like it there, then they should be glad they have you because I believe for folks around here it would be considered a major step down.
Yep.

Old 08-19-2013, 08:33 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,909,102 times
Quote:

US Average 319.1
Columbia, SC 549.9
Morgantown, WV 213.3

Columbia, SC 35.7%
Morgantown, WV 46.6%

UNEMPLOYMENT RATES
Columbia, SC 7.7%
Morgantown, WV 4.4%

CT you are wasting time with this poster. At this point it is obvious they are just a troll.

However, great job showing him the facts. You could do what he couldnt, you could show data and didnt just make excuses for not having any data. It is still a waste of time.

It is still best not to feed trolls. I urge everyone to ignore them.

Old 08-19-2013, 08:38 PM

Quote:
I retired to Morgantown because of the many things that make it a desirable retirement location. We have outstanding healthcare options readily available. We have awesome outdoor venues right out our back door. We have a low crime rate, a highly educated and employed prosperous population, and wonderful activities for retirees provided by our major university. We have a wide variety of eateries including some of the first rate category. And, we are close enough to a large city that we can be there in short order when we want to be there. We no longer play Marshall in football here.

I don't doubt Morgantown has good hospitals but what metro these days doesn't have solid hospitals? I don't think peopel are flying in from other parts of the country to go the Motown hospitals. LOL

The reality is COlumbia has more educated people in total numbers, it is a larger metro. If you go out to the suburbs, especially Lexington and Northeast / Blythewood areas, I suspect the population in those areas, excluding the actual city of Columbia, has more educated people by percentage than Motown.

How far is Motown from Pittsburgh? I don't think 1.5 hours to Charlotte is a long drive. I don't see what the big dealis about big cities though. Just have more suburbs and maybe some pro teams.

You need a university in town to have activies for retirees? LOL They have bingo nights in any city, no university required for that. LOL

Do you know Cola has the biggest public university in the state? So talking about the university aspect of Motown isn't something that separates it from Cola specifically, maybe other cities but not Cola.

I don't think you would have to worry about crime in Lexington or N. E Columbia. It isn't a gangster paradise. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown