Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 12:01 AM

10,147 posts, read 15,093,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TelecasterBlues View Post
I'm seriously at a point where I want to show at a meeting and voice my opinion...but what's left to even say considering that it passes every time and that these are all just stall/scare tactics to either push back construction for as long as possible or drive the project away. I really hope they don't give up and keep pushing forward...we need something like this in that spot very badly. I'd like to think of this project passing as a gateway for similar things on a large scale to happen.
I talked with a very connected person about this today. I was told that the project is not dead at all. CFA is sticking to their guns. It is felt the biggest problem is not the lawsuit, but state government with DoH not issuing the needed permits. It has been more than a year.. As usual, they are trying their best to impede progress in Morgantown. There are three major projects on serious hold in our area right now just because signatures have not been affixed in Charleston, and those projects will cost the state nothing. In fact, they will make money from them long term. People can draw their own conclusions as to motives.

One of those projects has more than $80 million in shovel ready commitments just waiting for a signature. All of them need to be fast tracked. Even the alumni hotel project seems to be getting interference from improper quarters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2015, 03:59 AM

671 posts, read 1,060,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
I talked with a very connected person about this today. I was told that the project is not dead at all. CFA is sticking to their guns. It is felt the biggest problem is not the lawsuit, but state government with DoH not issuing the needed permits. It has been more than a year.. As usual, they are trying their best to impede progress in Morgantown. There are three major projects on serious hold in our area right now just because signatures have not been affixed in Charleston, and those projects will cost the state nothing. In fact, they will make money from them long term. People can draw their own conclusions as to motives.

One of those projects has more than $80 million in shovel ready commitments just waiting for a signature. All of them need to be fast tracked. Even the alumni hotel project seems to be getting interference from improper quarters.
It's not an accident when a state ends up last in almost every ranking!

Old 07-07-2015, 07:12 AM

BZA Agendas / Staff Reports / Minutes | City of Morgantown, WV official website

No planning meeting this month, but the Board of Zoning Appeals will be meeting. Of note, info on the pizza place at the Daniels site, and a proposed coffee shop in lower South Park/Greenmont.

We had a little discussion previously about whether or not Daniel's was going to follow through and increase the height of their structure -- I had said 50-50, but I'm now thinking 99% unlikely. Take a look through the business plans for the pizza place and you'll see a professional rendering that shows only the current building height and overall shape. The silver lining, an option for wood-fired pizza that's within lunch-walk distance from campus.

Old 07-07-2015, 07:25 AM

1,642 posts, read 2,432,450 times
At least they're daylighting the second floor of the Daniels building. If they ever so choose, adding more floors to the building can always be a later phase.

Old 07-07-2015, 05:16 PM

1,000 posts, read 2,358,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post

As far as projects go, I'm aware of the alumni hotel, the VFW site, the Daniels building, and the rebuilding of Sunnyside Commons. Are there any other major projects or specific downtown plans like the VFW site?

Old 07-07-2015, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TelecasterBlues View Post
As far as projects go, I'm aware of the alumni hotel, the VFW site, the Daniels building, and the rebuilding of Sunnyside Commons. Are there any other major projects or specific downtown plans like the VFW site?
The Beauty School has plans to develop 12 apartments behind their building. As far as I know including the ones you mentioned, those are it for now downtown, except that I believe there is another smaller student apartment complex planned for Sunnyside and the new Sheetz on University Ave. I don't have any facts about the Sunnyside complex.

Remember too, The University and affiliates have had a billion dollars of construction taking place in recent years on all three campuses, and that is ongoing. All of that is taking place without any financial help from state government.

Old 08-03-2015, 04:39 PM

286 posts, read 351,577 times
Anything new on VFW site? Or is it dead?

Old 08-03-2015, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wvu2016 View Post
Anything new on VFW site? Or is it dead?
Last I heard they are waiting for the State Road access permit. Those are always politically loaded in our state, so they might have to fight for that one in court, but I expect that one way or another this is going to get done.

Old 08-17-2015, 11:59 AM

No planning commission update this month, so I'm guessing no meeting? The BZA agenda is posted:

Of note, The Marriott takeover of the Waterfront Hotel is proceeding -- they'll be opening a coffee shop (Starbucks) and a new steakhouse; a new restaurant with a silly name will probably be moving into the site formerly occupied by Dragonfly and Big Whiskey; Atomic Grill will be opening a location on Pleasant at the restaurant door of the 123 through a cooperative with the 123. Here's the article, note that the date might say 2014, but that's a typo as I'm pretty sure they meant 2015:

http://www.morgantownmag.com/morgant...Atomic-at-123/

Old 09-12-2015, 09:49 AM

Slow month for the planning commission:PC Agendas / Staff Reports / Minutes | City of Morgantown, WV official website

The Board of Zoning Appeals is likely to approve a new office space to be developed between University Park and new Alumni Building:

It looks nice. That area is somewhat of a no-man's-land. If I read correctly, the owner of the property will develop it and the University has agreed to lease it from them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown