Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2022, 09:57 AM

56 posts, read 70,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wvu2016 View Post
Haven’t been to high street in over a year, how is looking these days?
Mogantown as a whole goes up more notches transitioning from winter to spring than any other place I have lived. So Spring would be more of a tell but from my experiences it is significantly better since they moved the Bartlett House and stopped the needle "exchange" at Health Right. Its have not come close to its potential but I would say its trending up for the first time in a long long time. New Apothecary looks like it will be a big hit, Hotel Morgan much better. The Warner Theater purchase and planned renovation, Zeke's the murals the powerwashing, the window cleaning. Definitely trending positive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2022, 12:43 PM

286 posts, read 348,119 times
Wow! Thats amazing to hear, thanks for the update. It definitely has a ton of potential

Old 02-18-2022, 01:06 PM

14 posts, read 12,950 times
Does anyone know why there are about 15-20 houses boarded up around the bowl on Richwood? It’s crazy to see, almost like that whole area is condemned!

Old 02-18-2022, 01:43 PM

56 posts, read 70,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowBird View Post
Does anyone know why there are about 15-20 houses boarded up around the bowl on Richwood? It’s crazy to see, almost like that whole area is condemned!
Its is supposed to be a public private deal covering 9 to 10 acres, Biafora, Giuliani and presumably WVU with cost between $50-$80 million.

Old 02-20-2022, 03:31 PM

Aren’t they supposed to be doing stuff all the away up to the mile ground with that public private deal?

Old 05-08-2022, 07:06 PM

Are they ever going to do anything with Warner theater? Renovate it or demolish it?

Old 06-07-2022, 09:44 PM

104 posts, read 148,412 times
A problem that has no solution is not a problem. It becomes simply a factor of the reality of our times. Homeless people come in all forms, young, old, varying ethnicity, religion etc. some are legitimately challenged and are afflicted with mental states that inhibit their ability to pull themselves out of the mire. Others are taking a free ride, the Jack Kerouac types seeking adventure but are to lazy to earn their trips. Scattered among the homeless are angry sociopaths who are basally criminals; they are the most visible and undesirable. There are towns with big hearts who have populations willing to put up with the inconvenience of street beggars and occasionally being robbed at knife point. Other towns with more heartless populations that have devised ways to make homeless peolple very uncomfortable. Very very uncomfortable and guess what? These towns eventually "cure" the homeless problem. But who wants to live in a heartless town? Now from a live and let live perspective, neither big heart or no heart are viable options.
I like to think I have empathy for those in need of help. The problem is: It is difficult to know what constitutes help and what is simply enablement. Diane and I are considering moving to Morgantown. It has many features we like. It is discouraging to read these posts about tne growing homeless community in the town. Staunton, Va use to be our first choice to relocate to. It is similar to Morgantown but has not been discovered by the homeless yet. I haven't offered up much in the way of fixing the problem. Or is it really a problem?

Old 06-09-2022, 01:56 PM

202 posts, read 218,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambrichard View Post
A problem that has no solution is not a problem. It becomes simply a factor of the reality of our times. Homeless people come in all forms, young, old, varying ethnicity, religion etc. some are legitimately challenged and are afflicted with mental states that inhibit their ability to pull themselves out of the mire. Others are taking a free ride, the Jack Kerouac types seeking adventure but are to lazy to earn their trips. Scattered among the homeless are angry sociopaths who are basally criminals; they are the most visible and undesirable. There are towns with big hearts who have populations willing to put up with the inconvenience of street beggars and occasionally being robbed at knife point. Other towns with more heartless populations that have devised ways to make homeless peolple very uncomfortable. Very very uncomfortable and guess what? These towns eventually "cure" the homeless problem. But who wants to live in a heartless town? Now from a live and let live perspective, neither big heart or no heart are viable options.
I like to think I have empathy for those in need of help. The problem is: It is difficult to know what constitutes help and what is simply enablement. Diane and I are considering moving to Morgantown. It has many features we like. It is discouraging to read these posts about tne growing homeless community in the town. Staunton, Va use to be our first choice to relocate to. It is similar to Morgantown but has not been discovered by the homeless yet. I haven't offered up much in the way of fixing the problem. Or is it really a problem?
First, not wanting to get robbed at knife point is not heartless but I get the point you are making.

Yes, it is/was a problem. It has gotten a little better as they cut off the needle "exchange" program and have pushed back on the open drug use.

Morgantown was overly accommodating to the point of running everyone else off of downtown. Thankfully downtown is a small portion of the town. People found out real quick you can make a utopia for transient drug addicts or you can have a vibrant downtown, but you can't have both.

Old 06-09-2022, 02:25 PM

Downtown seemed much more vibrant this year in comparison to when I lived there in 2015

Last edited by Wvu2016; 06-09-2022 at 02:34 PM..

Old 06-26-2022, 04:17 PM

1,000 posts, read 2,350,561 times
So here's a fun one...anybody know of anything new with the VFW site, or the big stretch from McClafferty's running through the old Shell Station site and Vick's???

Both were supposed to be bought/developed into 20+ floor mixed use building by developers from Virginia and Georgia until years of legal stalling by the local slum lords finally chased the projects into extinction.

Just curious if anything new ever materialized with those sites or if any rumors/info are out there. Total shame...there were some renderings of both projects and a lot of discussion on here.

Also, did the Warner kind of reopen or something? And any news with the old Rock Top building/site that's been dead now for years?

Those are the three areas of downtown that need something to haplen the most...total, pathetic shame that the two sites mentioned had to lose-out to local politics and game playing. Those projects could have stalled due to COVID anyway, but man...would have been game changers for downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown