Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2019, 01:19 PM

3,187 posts, read 1,509,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgantown1 View Post
Good hopefully the problem is resolved. But don't be surprised when the city council tells people to "stop being intolerant of the homeless" and chastises people for complaining about "being inconvenienced by them." Meanwhile they are looking for more territory to prop up their finances while worrying way too much about their latest social cause.

How many of these same or business owners voted this city council into place I wonder?

My last trip through downtown on Monday was very disappointing. So many empty stores and its starting to look like a slum.
Oh I am sure they are already mustering every argument they can think of to excuse the status quo. Now is the time to shout them down. If anyone interested can't attend in person emails WILL matter as it is now on the agenda.

BTW, I wouldn't be surprised that the owners of the businesses that spoke yesterday helped vote them in too. If you have met them they are very nice people. However, regardless of their personal politics I can tell based on their public comments they see now that enough is enough. If you think about it, this is an issue most rational people can unite on.

Just this morning on Morgantown AM they were talking about Mgtn City Council's focus on national level social issues. They were saying NONE of that stuff is relevant to running city gov't. What about US and OUR LOCAL needs? I am so glad that there is some commentary going on calling this situation out like we have discussed in posts here.

Morgantown is becoming an embarrassment due to this. We made statewide news recently due to the council's latest focus on a national hot button issue and subsequent statements and actions. I will include a link to the MetroNews article. (not even going to address the subject matter so we don't get in trouble over politics but it is relevant in order to recognize how the rest of the state SEES us) I really feel this is a huge part of why they even neglect our roads. Due to a small but very vocal few Mgtn sticks out like a sore thumb in this state. Definitely not in a good way either. It may not be PC to say but I am sure there are many old school traditional conservatives in the southern part of the state shaking their heads about us and saying, "Well, let WV's little San Francisco up north just suffer". Unfortunately, our culture is so divided that we are inviting ourselves to be the state's whipping boy with these radical positions that don't fit in with the rest of the state.

WV MetroNews ICE enforcement triggers hyperventilated response in Morgantown - WV MetroNews
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2019, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
The city isn't just the officially stated permanent population of 32,000. It is actually 55,000 (condensed into just 10 square miles) most of the year with tens of thousands more clustered all around it, and growing. There are two closely related problems faced by the city proper. The first is the bunch of clueless academics running city government who rely on ideals for every decision with total disregard for facts. Those policies have pushed all development outside city limits and insured stagnation inside them. The second is the fact that almost all downtown property has been family legacy for generations, owned by people who traditionally milk every possible cent out of properties without reinvesting in them. If it weren't for the fact that our downtown is located in the city with the most promise and best economic engines in the state, insuring a certain level of success regardless of who is in charge, our downtown would have been dead long ago. It is so sad to see such great potential go to waste.
I know a lot of my posts may come across as complaining but I tend to only get behind things I don't like and want to see changes with. Due to a lack of time and energy, I see the importance of the issues ruining our potential and current standard of living. Actually, it's not just an issue of "potential" not being followed through and realized. We simply didn't have many of these issues before things changed for the worse here.

As an example we had the beginnings of something good in our hands and we lost it with the waterfront. I volunteered for the preparation and for the grand opening of the waterfront park (when Florence Merow was still alive). The momentum that was started then would have never stopped if the transients weren't allowed to take over the riverfront. There is a HUGE negligence problem here that mainly turned people off to the area. Can anyone imagine my frustration that I was there helping to set up the grand opening and only a few years later I was scared to even walk my own dog there?

We have to deal with (and fight IMO) a segment of people in charge wanting to see things through "ideals" only as you stated and further even through "rose colored glasses". This is a people problem in that regard. We have to recognize past mistakes and change course back to the original positive intentions. It's really that simple. Florence Merow saw the Mon River's promise - Morgantown Dominion Post - 27 July 2008

There is much truth to what you are saying. I always say strike while the iron is hot. You can message your concerns to council even if you have in the past. If enough people comment it will be hard to ignore.

Old 09-18-2019, 02:59 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,047,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motownnative View Post
… There is much truth to what you are saying. I always say strike while the iron is hot. You can message your concerns to council even if you have in the past. If enough people comment it will be hard to ignore.
I have to admit that when that group assumed power, I supported them. I have come to regret that over and over again. I didn't like the landlords in control, and I am not sure I would again either. The results of their overt neglect and price gouging are an unpleasant remnant from years gone bye, and if the school hadn't stepped in to improve things in that regard I'm not sure it would have ever changed. The fact is though, the academics have actually made things worse in the city itself, and if not for the school and the amazing county government, that actually accomplishes incredible things against every obstacle, the community's fortunes would not be improving nearly as quickly as we see them happening.

We need a solid middle class city government that actually looks at situations from what would benefit the ordinary citizen most, instead of bubble headed space cadets that are among the world's best in their chosen fields. but basically clueless about just about everything else, operating our city government. Don't get me wrong. I appreciate an inclusive community where the rights of various groups are respected, but Morgantown has always had that character. It really doesn't need endless social statements to make it happen. The magic forest was the perfect example of a controlling body that actually was looking to isolate itself from the ordinary serfs while pretending to have the interests of the community at heart. Most of those same folks still hold sway.

Old 09-19-2019, 07:28 AM

202 posts, read 218,531 times
Quote:
Oh I am sure they are already mustering every argument they can think of to excuse the status quo. Now is the time to shout them down. If anyone interested can't attend in person emails WILL matter as it is now on the agenda.

BTW, I wouldn't be surprised that the owners of the businesses that spoke yesterday helped vote them in too. If you have met them they are very nice people. However, regardless of their personal politics I can tell based on their public comments they see now that enough is enough. If you think about it, this is an issue most rational people can unite on.

Just this morning on Morgantown AM they were talking about Mgtn City Council's focus on national level social issues. They were saying NONE of that stuff is relevant to running city gov't. What about US and OUR LOCAL needs? I am so glad that there is some commentary going on calling this situation out like we have discussed in posts here.

Morgantown is becoming an embarrassment due to this. We made statewide news recently due to the council's latest focus on a national hot button issue and subsequent statements and actions. I will include a link to the MetroNews article. (not even going to address the subject matter so we don't get in trouble over politics but it is relevant in order to recognize how the rest of the state SEES us) I really feel this is a huge part of why they even neglect our roads. Due to a small but very vocal few Mgtn sticks out like a sore thumb in this state. Definitely not in a good way either. It may not be PC to say but I am sure there are many old school traditional conservatives in the southern part of the state shaking their heads about us and saying, "Well, let WV's little San Francisco up north just suffer". Unfortunately, our culture is so divided that we are inviting ourselves to be the state's whipping boy with these radical positions that don't fit in with the rest of the state.

WV MetroNews ICE enforcement triggers hyperventilated response in Morgantown - WV MetroNews
I agree with everything you said except for the "enough is enough" part and here's why......or why I don't it is a universally held view.

In the full text of the Dominion Post Guilliani and maybe one other talked about forming "partnerships" to combat and "epidemic." What this tells me is some still want to devote more resources to things like the Health Right Friendship House that will just act as a beacon for more drug addicts and drifters to come to Morgantown. I'm past the point of wanting to help them. First I want to establish some objective standard of lawful behavior then we can worry about helping people, starting with one who are truly part of our community.

Old 09-19-2019, 08:54 AM

Quote:
I have to admit that when that group assumed power, I supported them. I have come to regret that over and over again. I didn't like the landlords in control, and I am not sure I would again either. The results of their overt neglect and price gouging are an unpleasant remnant from years gone bye, and if the school hadn't stepped in to improve things in that regard I'm not sure it would have ever changed. The fact is though, the academics have actually made things worse in the city itself, and if not for the school and the amazing county government, that actually accomplishes incredible things against every obstacle, the community's fortunes would not be improving nearly as quickly as we see them happening.

We need a solid middle class city government that actually looks at situations from what would benefit the ordinary citizen most, instead of bubble headed space cadets that are among the world's best in their chosen fields. but basically clueless about just about everything else, operating our city government. Don't get me wrong. I appreciate an inclusive community where the rights of various groups are respected, but Morgantown has always had that character. It really doesn't need endless social statements to make it happen. The magic forest was the perfect example of a controlling body that actually was looking to isolate itself from the ordinary serfs while pretending to have the interests of the community at heart. Most of those same folks still hold sway.
I understand the issue with the landlord proxies on council, but when has electing academics to government seats actually ever worked out? From what I can see historical evidence doesn't really support it.

As others have pointed out their policies are more to make them feel good about their own progressiveness than to actually help people. I care about some of these issues too, but their are other problems that demand attention first. Inclusiveness? Sure, all for it. We already had it, just like you mentioned.

I hate to bring partisanship into it, but this crap is why I switched parties a few years ago.

Old 09-19-2019, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgantown1 View Post
I agree with everything you said except for the "enough is enough" part and here's why......or why I don't it is a universally held view.

In the full text of the Dominion Post Guilliani and maybe one other talked about forming "partnerships" to combat and "epidemic." What this tells me is some still want to devote more resources to things like the Health Right Friendship House that will just act as a beacon for more drug addicts and drifters to come to Morgantown. I'm past the point of wanting to help them. First I want to establish some objective standard of lawful behavior then we can worry about helping people, starting with one who are truly part of our community.
I agree. I am afraid dumping more money into this is where we are headed. None of the business owners are asking for them to solve huge societal problems. Just enforcing the laws and putting more police on the streets. It was confirmed at the meeting that we only have one officer at a time downtown like I previously said.

I am past the point of wanting to help most. I see too much everyday. We definitely need to concentrate on our own residents. If I fell on hard times I certainly wouldn't go to Fairmont for help. It may interest you that a volunteer with one of the sober houses was posting his experiences on the Greenmont FB board where he lives and where some of the sober houses are. He quit due to the failure rate. He stated out of 10 people you might successfully help 2 of them. The rest go on to terrorize/rob the neighborhood. He mentioned they found out one of the clients was hiding out here. He had murdered his girlfriend in Charleston earlier that year. I mentioned the dangerous people coming here prior - I wasn't kidding.

This next thing is getting too deep into the topic for most I am sure. But since taxpayers are routinely asked to bail out the drug/homeless problem with more money some may be interested that fraud is rampant within these sober houses/drug treatment centers. Essentially they work hand in hand. One is non profit and they make referrals to the profit centers that urine test, provide rehab services, etc. that insurance can be billed for. WV insurance companies have been one of the biggest victims. If you google the topic you will see tons of articles. Here is one. https://www.nbcnews.com/feature/megy...-fraud-n773376

This thread is getting a lot of hits so I want to clarify that I am not making accusations but observations. The first sober house in Morgantown was started by Doug Leech. His father is one of the wealthiest men in Morgantown. In a very short time Mr. Leech has branched out beyond non profit and has started Ascension Recovery Services. Based on their site they have 10 locations nationwide now and offer consulting services too. Just saying that "addiction treatment" has a lucrative aspect (even when done legitimately) that people may want to look into. WV Sober Living has some great reviews but really poor ones too if you look. One referred to it as "corporate recovery" at it's finest. Hmmm... https://www.rehab.com/west-virginia-...ving/7030028-r

Old 09-19-2019, 09:56 AM

Quote:

All true. We need more middle of the road people. They are hurting themselves. The mayor lives in South Park. This is affecting his neighborhood. Check out the South Park Neighbors FB page and read the posts about Pietro St from yesterday. It's almost amusing that there is a house there with a sign on it designating it as a "Flop House". LOL It's been active all summer and CE just condemned it yesterday.

It's not just downtown. It's spread to the nearby neighborhoods which is lowering property values.

Old 09-19-2019, 11:01 AM

491 posts, read 610,633 times
Quote:
All true. We need more middle of the road people. They are hurting themselves. The mayor lives in South Park. This is affecting his neighborhood. Check out the South Park Neighbors FB page and read the posts about Pietro St from yesterday. It's almost amusing that there is a house there with a sign on it designating it as a "Flop House". LOL It's been active all summer and CE just condemned it yesterday.

It's not just downtown. It's spread to the nearby neighborhoods which is lowering property values.
Pietro & Penn Ave are really bad. That area needs cleaned up ASAP.

Old 09-19-2019, 11:14 AM

10,147 posts, read 15,047,810 times
Quote:
I agree. I am afraid dumping more money into this is where we are headed. None of the business owners are asking for them to solve huge societal problems. Just enforcing the laws and putting more police on the streets. It was confirmed at the meeting that we only have one officer at a time downtown like I previously said. /7030028-r[/url]
A few years ago, during one of the state's budget cutting frenzies, they reduced funding for the Milan Health center by 50% while leaving funding for the free clinic in Charleston totally intact, so funding is an issue there. Center employees are saying that the lack of resources actually is affecting their ability to properly treat the homeless, which is adding to the problems being seen downtown.

We tend to elect representation that puts focus on statements and ideals at the state level too, not just in city council. That is why we have caravans organized to go to Ontario for cheap medicine, and statements to stop Asian human trafficking, while our roads are the worst in the state. We can feel good about ourselves while we are getting our vehicle struts replaced and choking in traffic jams.

Old 09-19-2019, 11:39 AM

Quote:
A few years ago, during one of the state's budget cutting frenzies, they reduced funding for the Milan Health center by 50% while leaving funding for the free clinic in Charleston totally intact, so funding is an issue there. Center employees are saying that the lack of resources actually is affecting their ability to properly treat the homeless, which is adding to the problems being seen downtown.

We tend to elect representation that puts focus on statements and ideals at the state level too, not just in city council. That is why we have caravans organized to go to Ontario for cheap medicine, and statements to stop Asian human trafficking, while our roads are the worst in the state. We can feel good about ourselves while we are getting our vehicle struts replaced and choking in traffic jams.

I'd ask this...if we gave them all the funding they wanted, or restored to previous levels what results can they produce and in what amount of time? Would giving more money just attract more people to be "treated"?

Their goal is to "treat' these people. My goal is to fix the town, which at this point for me literally means running the out of town drifters/addicts out of town. If that means closing down these facilities for a while I'm ok with that too.

I guess my goals are explicitly different than a lot of others'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown