Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2019, 08:58 PM

2,625 posts, read 3,414,205 times

Advertisements

I've made one prior posting to this thread thus far on 7/12/2019 (posting # 34).

Boy, if the famous late actor DON KNOTTS (a Morgantown native) could see what has happened to his hometown (re: everything discussed in this thread), he'd most surely be turning in his grave now!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2019, 05:11 AM

10,147 posts, read 15,047,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsAll View Post
I've made one prior posting to this thread thus far on 7/12/2019 (posting # 34).

Boy, if the famous late actor DON KNOTTS (a Morgantown native) could see what has happened to his hometown (re: everything discussed in this thread), he'd most surely be turning in his grave now!!!
Knotts would be pleased with what has happened in his community, which has grown exponentially since he died. The situation here is not at all bad. This is a great place to live and work, even though state government routinely neglects it's responsibilities in terms of infrastructure. What is frustrating for those of us living here is seeing amazing potential wasted by leadership with a narrow focus. The Downtown area could be so much more than it is now, but we don't have people running things with the ability or vision to make it happen.

Old 08-12-2019, 08:55 AM

3,187 posts, read 1,509,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
Knotts would be pleased with what has happened in his community, which has grown exponentially since he died. The situation here is not at all bad. This is a great place to live and work, even though state government routinely neglects it's responsibilities in terms of infrastructure. What is frustrating for those of us living here is seeing amazing potential wasted by leadership with a narrow focus. The Downtown area could be so much more than it is now, but we don't have people running things with the ability or vision to make it happen.
UsAll may not be aware that there is a statue of Don Knotts in Morgantown now. I believe it was paid for with private donations. Where does it sit? Downtown. Where else would it be placed? This is why downtowns are important and should be kept nice.

I will include a link with pics and reviews. Most are positive but the most recent ones mention the homeless and the statue having gum and bird poo on it because it's not being taken care of. It wouldn't surprise me at all to hear that employees in businesses nearby are cleaning it off occasionally. We are in some ways policing the streets ourselves now and doing cleaning tasks anyway. Ask any business owner about the human feces and urine they are now seeing. Not to be gross but this is a serious health hazard. Especially due to the recent hepatitis outbreak. At what point do people consider the situation "bad?"

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti..._Virginia.html

The problem is now filtering into South Park as it is so close to downtown. Formerly one of the nicest and safest neighborhoods in our community. Check the South Park Neighbors FB page if you doubt it. One of the most recent posts is about not being able to park a motorcycle on the street as it will get stolen. Other posters said it's everything - you can't put nice decorative stuff on your porch anymore. They say it's the same issue - "junkies and thieves".

I agree that there is huge potential. I wouldn't bother making detailed posts describing what the worst problems are I see if I didn't think a lot of this could be turned around. It will be very difficult until we have a change in mindset that doesn't tolerate (and even welcomes) this unsavory element in our community.

Old 08-12-2019, 09:04 AM

2,625 posts, read 3,414,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motownnative View Post
UsAll may not be aware that there is a statue of Don Knotts in Morgantown now. I believe it was paid for with private donations. Where does it sit? Downtown. Where else would it be placed? This is why downtowns are important and should be kept nice.

I will include a link with pics and reviews. Most are positive but the most recent ones mention the homeless and the statue having gum and bird poo on it because it's not being taken care of. It wouldn't surprise me at all to hear that employees in businesses nearby are cleaning it off occasionally. We are in some ways policing the streets ourselves now and doing cleaning tasks anyway. Ask any business owner about the human feces and urine they are now seeing. Not to be gross but this is a serious health hazard. Especially due to the recent hepatitis outbreak. At what point do people consider the situation "bad?"

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti..._Virginia.html

The problem is now filtering into South Park as it is so close to downtown. Formerly one of the nicest and safest neighborhoods in our community. Check the South Park Neighbors FB page if you doubt it. One of the most recent posts is about not being able to park a motorcycle on the street as it will get stolen. Other posters said it's everything - you can't put nice decorative stuff on your porch anymore. They say it's the same issue - "junkies and thieves".

I agree that there is huge potential. I wouldn't bother making detailed posts describing what the worst problems are I see if I didn't think a lot of this could be turned around. It will be very difficult until we have a change in mindset that doesn't tolerate (and even welcomes) this unsavory element in our community.

I was, in fact, aware of this statue of Don Knotts (having seen it announced on the web at some time in the past).

Old 08-12-2019, 05:12 PM

2 posts, read 1,894 times
I'm so glad someone else posted about this. I grew up in Charleston, moved to Morgantown in 2000, and lived here until 2015 when I moved to Chicago for 4 years. I just moved back (to South Park) in June.

Downtown is nothing like it was in 2015 when I left for Chicago. I hate to say it, but I think Charleston now has the most vibrant downtown in WV. I was walking down High Street today and another business was moving out (Gary's Comics). I think at least half the storefronts on High Street are now vacant.

Something needs to be done by the city. It's because of all the development on the outskirts. I also moved near downtown so I could use the bus depot since I don't have a car. You most certainly don't need a car in Chicago. But as soon as I moved back, I found out that the City Council forced the bus depot to Westover! My first reaction was literally "WTF?!" Morgantown is becoming a city where you absolutely need a car to do anything fun or shop, when it should be moving in the opposite direction given that millennials prefer vibrant downtowns and walkable neighborhoods.

Last edited by TelperionPrime; 08-12-2019 at 05:30 PM..

Old 08-12-2019, 05:33 PM

2 posts, read 1,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motownnative View Post
Yes, you could send an email to the councilor of your ward. Even CC all of them and the mayor. They have the power to see that there is more of a police presence downtown. That would be a huge deterrent to these people coming here and hanging around for months.

Just sharing the stories that you know should get their attention. Combine that with the two deaths this month on the rail trails and the house that burned down on Forest Ave (the neighboring empty ones were filled with drug paraphernalia) you would think the issue would be on the front burner for them anyway to address.

I mentioned in a previous post that there were transients camping on River Rd and they started a fire. That encampment was removed and hasn't been allowed to start up again to my knowledge. That area I believe is outside of the city. Probably Westover or the County's jurisdiction. Regardless, this shows law enforcement can take care of a problem if there is the will to do it.
The past few days, I have seen groups of people (I don't know if they are squatters or panhandlers) literally setting up shop on the steps of the Public Safety Building. I don't think a police presence matters in that regard.

Old 08-12-2019, 05:40 PM

219 posts, read 248,003 times
There is no wonder businesses are leaving downtown. Considering the parking is terrible, the building are largely dilapidated, and what is the most staggering thing is that the rent prices are as high or higher than suburban shopping plazas.

Old 08-12-2019, 09:11 PM

202 posts, read 218,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TelperionPrime View Post
The past few days, I have seen groups of people (I don't know if they are squatters or panhandlers) literally setting up shop on the steps of the Public Safety Building. I don't think a police presence matters in that regard.
The police are more or less told to stand down from what I've heard.

Old 08-16-2019, 08:42 PM

Quote:
The Public Safety building is across from Heath Right where the transients pick up their "goody bags" that include 10 free needles a day and Narcan kits. I have noticed that ANY law enforcement presence makes a difference. I say that too as I never see transients in the parking garage on Chestnut St. (I don't know about the one on Spruce St). It's 10 degrees cooler in the summer in there and they could go in when it's raining too but don't. The only thing I can figure is that there are cameras and the parking authority employees are regularly in there to boot cars. I hope I am not jinxing myself and they continue to stay out of there.

You are not kidding about Spruce St. I thought High St was bad but had to walk Spruce yesterday. I saw people laying all over near the statue at the Public Safety Building, a guy who was apparently mentally ill talking to himself and singing stagger past me, people laying stretched out in front of the public library like it was their bedroom, and the real kicker was this: I saw a cop (the only one I ever see doing foot patrol) have two transients on the ground as he confiscated their HUGE hunting style knife they had hidden - it must have been 24" long. They were filthy dirty and had a bunch of bags and backpacks with them. Definitely drifter types apparently up to no good. WTH?? I only walked a few blocks and this is what I saw at 5:45 pm!

I later talked to some folks that evening who just moved here from Seattle and they said it's worse HERE! I swear this is true. They said it's like a smaller version of what they are seeing but per capita there seem to be just as many if not more transients in Mgtn. (I guess if you count the river encampments they are probably right). They said the big difference is the police in Seattle are trained and at least have a handle on the situation and are out in force at all times.

Old 08-16-2019, 08:56 PM

Quote:
I'm so glad someone else posted about this. I grew up in Charleston, moved to Morgantown in 2000, and lived here until 2015 when I moved to Chicago for 4 years. I just moved back (to South Park) in June.

Downtown is nothing like it was in 2015 when I left for Chicago. I hate to say it, but I think Charleston now has the most vibrant downtown in WV. I was walking down High Street today and another business was moving out (Gary's Comics). I think at least half the storefronts on High Street are now vacant.

Something needs to be done by the city. It's because of all the development on the outskirts. I also moved near downtown so I could use the bus depot since I don't have a car. You most certainly don't need a car in Chicago. But as soon as I moved back, I found out that the City Council forced the bus depot to Westover! My first reaction was literally "WTF?!" Morgantown is becoming a city where you absolutely need a car to do anything fun or shop, when it should be moving in the opposite direction given that millennials prefer vibrant downtowns and walkable neighborhoods.
You are right about the storefront vacancies. It's the worst I have seen in my lifetime here.

Sorry you are having all of these problems with bus service. If you google the topic you will see that Mountain Line was against this move to Westover. One thing that is not mentioned in the articles is that part of the move was due to the transients that hung around the old bus depot. They want to "revitalize" the Waterfront area. Well, the transients are still there so I would love to hear their game plan for that problem. All it did was inconvenience honest working people who like or need to use the bus. If you can avoid having a car it is smart to avoid that expense IMO.

I am mad about this too even though I don't ride the bus. About two years ago voters got to vote on different levies in the county. The most expensive levy was to expand and support Mountain Line bus service. I voted for it as did many others and it passed. It was a year later when the city decided on the move. Too bad it is inconveniencing the riders it was meant to support.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown