Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2023, 11:27 AM

10,431 posts, read 6,954,235 times

Advertisements

Would congress ever make a law allowing existing mortgages to be transferred with the home owner to their new home? I heard someone make a comment on this on a news show a few days ago. I know Canada allows this in some fashion. Obviously the banks would be against it with the risks of transferring a mortgage to a new property. I wanted to see if anyone has heard rumbles of this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2023, 12:04 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,925,838 times
IIRC they do this in the UK. The mortgage is secured by the person not the property.

Old 07-20-2023, 12:18 PM

4,858 posts, read 4,794,690 times
Fannie Mae and Freddy Mac prohibit assumable mortgages, likely because lenders don't like them. Some FHA and VA mortgages can be assumed.

Just remember that while a borrower might find a lower rate assumable mortgage, that borrower is going to have find a lot of cash to get it because the value of the home likely increased dramatically.

Old 07-20-2023, 12:32 PM

4,506 posts, read 2,651,635 times
Is there some kind of law that prohibits this? I rather doubt it.

Yeah, government-backed loans, maybe, but that's beside the point.

I'd say if a mortgage company or bank wants to transfer a loan at a low interest rate from one property to another, rather than requiring a new loan at currently prevailing rates be taken, that's their business as long as it's not an Uncle Sugar guaranteed one. It'd be STUPID to do it, but I'd think they are allowed to.

Tell me, OP, exactly why would I, if I were a loan officer, want to allow you to transfer your 2% mortgage on property A to property B when I could sell a new mortgage on property B at 6%

???

Old 07-20-2023, 12:46 PM

10,431 posts, read 6,954,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
Is there some kind of law that prohibits this? I rather doubt it.

Yeah, government-backed loans, maybe, but that's beside the point.

I'd say if a mortgage company or bank wants to transfer a loan at a low interest rate from one property to another, rather than requiring a new loan at currently prevailing rates be taken, that's their business as long as it's not an Uncle Sugar guaranteed one. It'd be STUPID to do it, but I'd think they are allowed to.

Tell me, OP, exactly why would I, if I were a loan officer, want to allow you to transfer your 2% mortgage on property A to property B when I could sell a new mortgage on property B at 6%

???
There is a housing inventory shortage in this country. The elephant in the room is that anyone with 2 or 3% mortgage is not moving or selling their property, likely never. There's an article that said we now have a generation of landlords because you can't sell a house with that type of rate.

Opening up these types of loan would open up inventory, decrease housing rates, and loan officers will make more loans. I'm sure a loan officer would be open to accepting a clients 2% mortgage they have for $300k and sell a 7% mortgage on top of that for their new $800k house.

Something like this will have to be done, as interest rates will not be coming down in the foreseeable future.

Old 07-20-2023, 04:10 PM

4,858 posts, read 4,794,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
Opening up these types of loan would open up inventory, decrease housing rates, and loan officers will make more loans. I'm sure a loan officer would be open to accepting a clients 2% mortgage they have for $300k and sell a 7% mortgage on top of that for their new $800k house.

Something like this will have to be done, as interest rates will not be coming down in the foreseeable future.

Yep. It could be 2007 again. Stack those mortgages so no or tiny down payments are needed.

Old 07-20-2023, 07:11 PM

5,962 posts, read 3,706,857 times
Quote:
Would congress ever make a law allowing existing mortgages to be transferred with the home owner to their new home? I heard someone make a comment on this on a news show a few days ago. I know Canada allows this in some fashion. Obviously the banks would be against it with the risks of transferring a mortgage to a new property. I wanted to see if anyone has heard rumbles of this.
I don't see that happening. Too many legal reasons preventing it. And this is just fine with me.

Old 07-20-2023, 07:18 PM

5,962 posts, read 3,706,857 times
Quote:
There is a housing inventory shortage in this country. The elephant in the room is that anyone with 2 or 3% mortgage is not moving or selling their property, likely never. There's an article that said we now have a generation of landlords because you can't sell a house with that type of rate.

Bull crap! In the late '70's, there was a real estate boom in many parts of the US as rates crept from around 7% or 8% to around 10% or 11% or higher! The only people who think that current mortgage rates on single family homes are high are the ones who haven't been keeping track of mortgage rates for very long.

Old 07-20-2023, 07:25 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,968,136 times
It's my understanding that in Canada and the UK, lenders are not required by law to allow the Assuming of a mortgage. It's the lenders decision. However, Porting of a loan is a semi requirement providing conditions are met. Assuming and Porting mortgages are not the same animal.

Old 07-20-2023, 09:07 PM

6,340 posts, read 4,892,353 times
Quote:

You're forgetting that lenders pay for the money they loan out.

If they are paying 5% (CD rates for example) for money, they mark it up to 6% or 6.5% and their profit is 1% to 1.5%. They aren't going to buy money at 5% and sell it for 2.5% or 3%. They'd be out of business in no time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Mortgages