Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2013, 06:29 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,060,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
My mom is 92 years young, still going strong! Talked to her this morning. She saw some great musicians in her younger years; among them Stan Kenton, Paul Whitman, Lena Horne, Chris Conner.

Her first show remains her favorite. A young Frank Sinatra.
That's so cool. We had a three generation music discussion and file sharing at my mother-in-law's. Well we haven't been able to get her into an ipod yet but we keep trying, but she did give me her Streisand box set to rip. The ages ran from 21 to 85 and THE topic was female vocalist from Beyonce to Ella Fitzgerald.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2013, 08:08 PM

52,693 posts, read 47,969,279 times
Quote:
My mom is 92 years young, still going strong! Talked to her this morning. She saw some great musicians in her younger years; among them Stan Kenton, Paul Whitman, Lena Horne, Chris Conner.

Her first show remains her favorite. A young Frank Sinatra.
She's put a lot of miles on that horse, wouldn't you say, H? Lots of legends in her day.

Old 05-13-2013, 12:24 PM

18,220 posts, read 25,865,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
That's so cool. We had a three generation music discussion and file sharing at my mother-in-law's. Well we haven't been able to get her into an ipod yet but we keep trying, but she did give me her Streisand box set to rip. The ages ran from 21 to 85 and THE topic was female vocalist from Beyonce to Ella Fitzgerald.
It was actually my mom who steered me on to record collecting at the ripe old age of 11! She loved music of most genres. And at the top of the list, surprisingly, was soundtracks/original cast recordings. Regarding female vocalists, she would have Ella and Sarah Vaughn at the top of the list, followed by Chris Conner and Anita O'Day. She gave me her collection a few decades back, so long as I fixed her up with cassettes of those recordings. She finally embraced cd's maybe 10 years ago. So, heh, ipods isn't on her request list!

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 05-13-2013 at 03:38 PM..

Old 05-13-2013, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
She's put a lot of miles on that horse, wouldn't you say, H? Lots of legends in her day.
She sure did! That Lena Horne concert was maybe 10 years ago. She went to several others until she met my dad. Dad was of the belief that "if it ain't country, it ain't music", though he did like some classical, as well as my mom did.

Old 05-13-2013, 12:53 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,060,237 times
Quote:
It actually my mom who steered me on to record collecting at the ripe old age of 11! She loved music of most genres. And at the top of the list, surprisingly, was soundtracks/original cast recordings. Regarding female vocalists, she would have Ella and Sarah Vaughn at the top of the list, followed by Chris Conner and Anita O'Day. She gave me her collection a few decades back, so long as I fixed her up with cassettes of those recordings. She finally embraced cd's maybe 10 years ago. So, heh, ipods isn't on her request list!
Very cool. I've been down in the basement digging up CD's for my mother-in-law. Thars many a Ella and Sarah sitting down there in those boxes.

Anita O'Day! Now there's a blast from the past.

By the way my mom started me off with original broadway cast recordings, "My Fair Lady," "Flower Drum Song," "West Side Story," were my favorites. My first album was Antal Dorati's 1954 recording of Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture using actual period canon fire at West Point and the Yale Memorial Carillon! An eight year olds total dream recording.

Anyway, here I am 52 years later downloading Common and Flo Rida while searching for big bands for my mother-in-law. Life is Weird.

Old 05-13-2013, 01:48 PM

Quote:
She sure did! That Lena Horne concert was maybe 10 years ago. She went to several others until she met my dad. Dad was of the belief that "if it ain't country, it ain't music", though he did like some classical, as well as my mom did.
Has she ever met Sinatra? Just curious.

Old 05-14-2013, 03:54 AM

Happy Tuesday, everybody!

Old 05-14-2013, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
Has she ever met Sinatra? Just curious.
Not to my knowledge. She had several of his Columbia recordings. He switched to Capitol in the mid 50's where he of course had his greatest success with producers Billy May and Nelson Riddle. THOSE records were all EP's. If I were to make a guess EP's in the late 40's-early 50's would have cost about $1, maybe a tad less.

Old 05-14-2013, 06:27 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,118,754 times
brilliant :

Space Oddity - YouTube

this could be the coolest person ever. Astronaut, singer & guitar player

Old 05-14-2013, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Not to my knowledge. She had several of his Columbia recordings. He switched to Capitol in the mid 50's where he of course had his greatest success with producers Billy May and Nelson Riddle. THOSE records were all EP's. If I were to make a guess EP's in the late 40's-early 50's would have cost about $1, maybe a tad less.
Wouldn't we all like to get compact discs for that price?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music