Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 05:13 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,179,956 times

Advertisements

What are your favorite non-english songs, singers, or groups?
They can perform in english, but not from an english speaking country.
Mine is somewhat limited, so I'm interested in your favorites.
Here's some of my mine:
Edith Piaf- from France, sang with convicting emotion.
Georges Moustaki- Greek, living in Paris, well done ballads.
CAN - German rock band, terrific instrumentation and unusual lyrics.
Grauzone - Swiss new Wave group, for their song Eisbaer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2007, 06:55 PM

8,176 posts, read 18,530,753 times
Any of the three tenors and
Bocelli!!

Old 11-01-2007, 07:50 PM

18,208 posts, read 25,840,395 times
Visvaldis! Good choice on the German band Can! PFM, another Euro-prog band from Italy I think would qualify, too in that particular genre.

Old 11-02-2007, 02:50 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times
We recently discussed this topic in this thread.

My reply was:

Cajun (French, bands like Beausoliel, etc)

Ramstein (German band, this is more my kid's taste, but I like some of their stuff)

Manu Chao (I re-discovered this guy a couple years ago. He sings in all sorts of languages, including the occasional English. I knew of his band Hot Pants in the 80's, but did not figure out that this is who he was until recently.)

There is always Matisyahu, as well--he throws in the occasional Hebrew and Yiddish.

Old 11-02-2007, 05:07 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,619,938 times
Francis Cabrel ( He writes the best lyrics, I love his music and I admire him as an artist and even better human being !)

La Bottine Souriante ( Quebec, absolutely brilliant musicians, if you don't feel like dancing whilst listening to them you must be dead!)

Les Batinses ( from Quebec - amazing band of extremely talented young musicians, blending all world music from Gypsy to Jewish to traditional Quebecois via Jazz).

Manu Chao

Youssou N' Dour

Jacques Brel ( makes me cry every time I listen to his stuff)

Georges Brassens ( Humoourous and folksy)

Renaud ( not the best voice but his lyrics are just wonderful, I love his irreverence towards so many subjects)

I like Matisyahu too.

Johnny Clegg and Savuka ( South African band sings in English AND Zulu -great energy)

Old 11-02-2007, 09:05 AM

68,327 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Elis Regina, a now-deceased Brasilian singer, you don't have to understand a word of Portuguese to know she sings from the heart. In that respect she reminds me a bit of Billie Holiday.

Old 11-02-2007, 09:17 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,449,979 times
Default Some of my favs

Rasha - Sudanese singer that currently lives in Spain. I first heard of her on one of those rough guide cds. Her voice is a breath of fresh air.

GENERAL ELEKTRIKS - Created by a Parisian keyboard player. Now lives in California.

Les Nubians - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - Two singers from France. First heard them in 1998 after listening to a friend's cd.

Bongo Maffin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - South African kwaito group. I heard them on an BBC cd for world music. There's a reggae vibe to a lot of their music.

Värttinä - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - Finnish group. First heard them on a Global Divas cd. They sing really really fast! I like how they use different rhythms in their music.

Sevara Nazarkhan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - Uzbek singer. I really like her voice.

Umm Kulthum (singer) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - Her voice is different, not what I expected. Egyptian singer.

Amr Diab - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - Also from Egypt. Good music and voice.

Old 11-02-2007, 09:19 AM

2,355 posts, read 2,181,956 times
I love the Gipsy Kings! Yay flamenco music...

There is also this group which sings in both Spanish and French called Pink Martini...wonderful group.

Old 11-02-2007, 10:12 AM

4,416 posts, read 9,135,397 times
Anything Mexican.

Old 11-02-2007, 10:35 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,235,134 times
Mecano

Mecano - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music