Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2008, 07:00 AM

3,531 posts, read 2,596,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbird4848 View Post
They left one of my favorites off the list!!

SUB
HUM
ANS
http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff275/redbird4848/SubhumansEPLP.jpg (broken link)
The site covers 76 to 79. Subhumans were "Johnny come latelys". Formed in 80 with nothing released until 81...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2008, 07:43 AM

23,857 posts, read 71,353,346 times
British punk was at it´s best in the early 80s with bands like Subhumans,Discharge,Chaos UK and the likes.
Punk in general got better when the trend died.

Old 04-04-2008, 07:55 AM

I must agree with that. But I always put it down to the fact that many had been around a little while by then and had learned their trade. The musicianship was certainly better. Discharge had been around 3 or 4 yrs before releasing anything, and Chaos UK had a 20yr career. A testiment to them in itself..

Old 04-04-2008, 09:12 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,750,808 times
Naked Raygun! Quite possibly the best band to come out of Chicago

Screaming Blue Messiahs

YouTube - Screaming Blue Messiahs "Wild Blue Yonder"

Old 04-04-2008, 09:35 AM

2,957 posts, read 7,387,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
Naked Raygun! Quite possibly the best band to come out of Chicago
Whoa, whoa. Don't forget about Big Black.

Old 04-04-2008, 02:22 PM

For some reason I have never heard any hardcore from Chicago,except for Impulse Manslaughter and a couple of songs with Los Crudos.
There is at least half a dozen bands from the 80s I´d like to hear.

Old 04-04-2008, 05:55 PM

1,989 posts, read 6,601,021 times
Big Swede, I think Charles Bronson hailed from Chicago. If I remember correctly they did a split with Los Crudos.

Old 04-04-2008, 09:29 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,550,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINCOLNSHIRE View Post
The site covers 76 to 79. Subhumans were "Johnny come latelys". Formed in 80 with nothing released until 81...
Now that I think about it, the scene was even by then called the post-punk scene in the early 80's.

Back then it seemed like the newest music from UK would hit New York, then San Francisco, then L.A. I had a friend in the early 80's who wrote some reviews for some rag on Melrose. He introduced me to a lot of different bands. One genre called "bone". God, I haven't thought about these things for years. I think 45 grave and christian death were considered "bone".

And he would laugh at the San Diego bands because they were nazi punk. The one thing that stands out in my mind is, all my punk friends, absolutely HATED hippies. They all laughed at the old hippy dudes. Now here it is 25 years later, and one of my friends looks just as ludicrous with his big beer gut and jet black hair.

There used to be some really great college radio stations that would play underground music. I was a "johnny come lately" kid myself. Because when my friends first got into hard core punk, I couldn't stand it. I remember hearing the song, "Gigantor" and thought it was a joke.

Then in the late 70's it seemed we were all getting tired of heavy metal. Early 80's is my all time favorite music scene. God, I loved the music then. We were so young, and soo into it. I can still remember my first time slam dancing. It was great.

I guess the kids nowadays call it the mosh pit. When the Ramones played, the kids were doing the "pogo". The Black Sabbath crowd boo'd them off stage. But hearing The Ramones that first time opened up the door for me.

The worst, IMO, was japanese and russian punk bands.

Last edited by _redbird_; 04-04-2008 at 09:39 PM..

Old 04-04-2008, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbird4848 View Post

And he would laugh at the San Diego bands because they were nazi punk. The one thing that stands out in my mind is, all my punk friends, absolutely HATED hippies. They all laughed at the old hippy dudes. Now here it is 25 years later, and one of my friends looks just as ludicrous with his big beer gut and jet black hair.
"Forget about music and concentrate on creating generation gaps. Call all hippies boring old farts and set light to them. Terrorize, threaten, and insult your own useless generation. Suddenly you've become a novel idea and you've got people wanting to join in. You've gained credibility from nothing, you're the talk of the town. " [ Malcolm McLaren]

Amazing how one tongue in cheek publicity quote [for "The Great Rock n` Roll Swindle"] can have people acting like sheep...

Old 04-05-2008, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toughguy View Post
Big Swede, I think Charles Bronson hailed from Chicago. If I remember correctly they did a split with Los Crudos.
I have a bunch of their songs on the Tomorrow Will Be Worse compilation.
Which bands are recommendable of the older bands?
I´m thinking about the Effigies,Articles Of Faith and Naked Rayguns and those bands.
Were they any good?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music