Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 04:20 PM

36 posts, read 155,202 times

Advertisements

I am in Texas and I have a friend who has been contemplating moving to the Franklin/Nashville area so that she can be closer to a church there called Remnant Fellowship. Can anyone tell me if they have heard of this church? I just thought it was interesting that she would consider quitting her job and uprooting her entire life just to be closer to a specific church. We have a lot of different churches in this area but she really seems only interested in the one out there in Franklin! So I'm just curious what all the fuss is about. I thought maybe some people who live in the area might know something about it. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2010, 04:27 PM

2,428 posts, read 5,544,412 times
I heard it was a cult and a quick google search "confirms" that at least some think it is

Old 12-27-2010, 05:32 PM

597 posts, read 2,108,077 times
You need to do the research for your friend and make your own assessments as to what advice you will offer. Personally, if I had kids, I wouldn't go within 5 miles of that place. I just shake my head when I drive past as it is. Your friend needs to know everything before making any commitments.

Old 12-27-2010, 06:06 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,908,774 times
I was wondering how long it would take someone to ask about Remnant.

You should do whatever you can to keep her from making this move. At the very least, show her this link.

Remnant Fellowship: A Brief History And A Dire Warning

Old 12-28-2010, 11:18 AM

2 posts, read 21,559 times
Yes indeed it is a cult. I have eight years experience with this nonsense as my wife joined it in 2002. People over-weight in the slightest are greedy and doomed to hell. If your friend doesn't move to TN, then she will be making at least three trips to Brentwood every year. Next, you'll notice that she won't even step foot in another church as that might be an endorsement of all the other "counterfeit churches". Finally, if she is overweight at this time and doesn't manage to lose the weight that is expected, she will be guilted into thinking she isn't worthy of God's salvation.
If she has already met Gwen then I'm sure she was charmed since the lavish style in Brentwood is very attractive. If indeed your friend has already met Gwen and still has that amazed look in her eye, then it may be too late to reach her. They are told to NOT talk to "mockers". Try to keep her away if you can, but if she's already chasing the carrot, then you might just have to let her say goodbye.

Old 12-28-2010, 09:37 PM

1,703 posts, read 6,313,166 times
The name of the church is scary enough. Using a word like 'remnant' should set off a whole lot of red flashing lights.

And the fact that someone would pick up and move hundreds of miles to be near the church--when there are plenty of churches right there in Texas--would be a second cue that something ain't quite right.

Old 12-29-2010, 07:15 AM

3,963 posts, read 10,629,574 times
Living here, I've heard so many stories. (Child abuse, idolizing the leader, $ questions, sexism, etc.) They can't all be true, but there must be something there. You're a good friend to be looking out for her. If she's determined to move, then you have nothing to lose by asking her the hard questions.

You'll either start her thinking, or prompt her to do a little research and learn for herself before moving.

I remember watching the Remnant woman on Tyra. Verrrrry odd. Hardly what I think of as a spiritual leader.

Old 12-29-2010, 04:08 PM

36 posts, read 155,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiabrains View Post
Yes indeed it is a cult. I have eight years experience with this nonsense as my wife joined it in 2002. People over-weight in the slightest are greedy and doomed to hell. If your friend doesn't move to TN, then she will be making at least three trips to Brentwood every year. Next, you'll notice that she won't even step foot in another church as that might be an endorsement of all the other "counterfeit churches". Finally, if she is overweight at this time and doesn't manage to lose the weight that is expected, she will be guilted into thinking she isn't worthy of God's salvation.
If she has already met Gwen then I'm sure she was charmed since the lavish style in Brentwood is very attractive. If indeed your friend has already met Gwen and still has that amazed look in her eye, then it may be too late to reach her. They are told to NOT talk to "mockers". Try to keep her away if you can, but if she's already chasing the carrot, then you might just have to let her say goodbye.
Is your wife still attending the church?

Old 12-31-2010, 08:27 AM

2 posts, read 21,559 times
Default Yes Indeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by grace72 View Post
Is your wife still attending the church?
Yes. Everyone in my local area associated with RF moved to TN. My wife travels to Brentwood three times a year to keep in good standing with the group. This is a cult in every sense of the definition. I have learned to deal with the reality that there is absolutely nothing that I can do about this AND ... besides ... she is basically a fantastic person who got trapped in this nutty religion. She could be doing a lot worse like drugs, spending money without a care, partying... you name it. So, I let go of the frustration and got myself a hobby or two. Yes, it was a rough pill to swallow - especially when I heard my young daughter tell me that I'm going to Hell because I wasn't part of the church. When our daughter turned 13, she told her mother that she doesn't want anything to do with RF any longer and now at least one of them is out. Oh yeah.... children are required to follow their mothers to weekly worship, (Wednesday and Saturday), and required to travel to TN three times a year as well. Damned near ended my marriage when I understood that the group was more important than our family.
You should do your best to keep your friend away from RF. But like mentioned before, if he/she is already glamor-struck and has their mind made up, there is nothing you can do and you may just have to let go. Religion sets deep in one's core, especially with RF - the way they glamorize, supervise, and hold elite exclusivity.
Oh yes indeed, next thing you'll see is your friend trying to sell you Weigh Down Workshop stuff. Gotta keep Gwen happy!

Old 12-31-2010, 09:38 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,468,665 times
Here is a story a local news channel did a few weeks back about a set of parents involved with Remnant Fellowship who were convicted of murdering and abusing their child and Remnant's defense of them.

Quote:
"The record reveals that Joseph and Sonya Smith routinely disciplined their son, Josef, by beating him with glue sticks, belts, and heated coat hangers; locking him in confined spaces for extended periods of time; and tying his hands with rope," wrote Justice Harold Melton in the majority opinion.

Former Remnant recruit Adam Brooks told NewsChannel 5 Investigates back in 2004 that "glue sticks are actually sort of common within the Remnant Fellowship culture to be used to physically discipline children."

In fact, our investigation of the church's teachings also uncovered a tape in which Sonya Smith had bragged to Shamblin about how they had seen results from locking young Josef in his bedroom for four days with just his Bible.

"That's a miracle," Shamblin responded. "You've got a child that's going from bizarre down to in-control. So praise God."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville