Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 10:36 AM

940 posts, read 1,904,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sucrose View Post
I can't stand contemporary, commercial country music and I work in the business. I try to think of it as a harmless annoyance--a product for export--that helps subsidize the better stuff.
I'm not a country fan but I listen every now and then to our Country Classics station in Houston when I get tired of other stuff. When on the road to Colorado many times the radio selection is country only, until you get close enough to Colorado sprgs. OK I'm going to throw this out and does it seem valid. Since all this modern country stuff MUSICALLY sounds like recycled classic rock and southern rock, what do they do to signify that it's country? It sounds to me lyrically like really exaggerated drawls and yawls is what they think does it.

I can give credit though, fiddles and pedal steel do add to the country flavor much of the time, but mostly I'm hearing drums, bass and guitar parts taken from classic rock phrasing, and the lyrically exaggerated phrasing makes me wonder should I tell people I grew up in TN where they record this stuff.

But then driving around Wyoming a couple of years back, it was the only radio fare available so I can't get too much on a high horse about it. And small town Washington middle aged guys tune it in when hearing the same 2000 classic rock songs over and over gets ridiculous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2014, 10:54 AM

2,122 posts, read 2,427,109 times
For any metal fans that also like country (and especially southern rock), Maylene and the Sons of Disaster is a pretty awesome blend. I believe they are from Alabama. Very grungy, raspy voice--much preferred by me over that twangy country style.

Old 05-20-2014, 11:00 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,380,115 times
[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by binkbok View Post
Ok, I realize this a Nashville forum. Please don't get the flame guns out just yet. I am not a Country fan, but am a music lover of many types. Rock, classical, punk, Irish, folk, electronica.
With your diverse taste in music what makes you think Country music might not someday be on your list of musical genres?,

Old 05-20-2014, 11:14 AM

4,416 posts, read 9,150,473 times
The music that comes out of Nashville is not really country anyway. You may hear some of this alleged country of today and end up liking it.

Old 05-21-2014, 10:38 AM

2,122 posts, read 2,427,109 times
Folkish country cover of Alice Cooper's "Poison". Fantastic cover IMO. Not twangy so I love it Point is you may find that the country culture puts a nice twist on the types of music you do like.

Old 05-22-2014, 09:52 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,694,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yank283 View Post
What everyone else said. Btw, Music trivia for the day. Neil Young regularly records here. "Harvest" was recorded in Nashville with a then young upstart named James Taylor when he was a session musician on banjo. That's him playing banjo on the song "Old Man".
Him and Linda Ronstadt did backup vocals on Old Man and Heart of Gold.

Old 05-22-2014, 09:53 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,694,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loose cannon View Post
The music that comes out of Nashville is not really country anyway. You may hear some of this alleged country of today and end up liking it.
Country music stopped being country when Garth Brooks came onto the scene. After that it became more pop than country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville