Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2014, 10:15 PM

12 posts, read 18,453 times

Advertisements

Ok, I realize this a Nashville forum. Please don't get the flame guns out just yet. I am not a Country fan, but am a music lover of many types. Rock, classical, punk, Irish, folk, electronica.

The housing, smaller city and from what I hear, hipster vibe of Nashville sound great. Is that true? To me hipster is Brooklyn or San Fran. Is there really a hipster vibe? Did Brooklyn and TN have a baby and call it Nashville?

You'll just never find me in cowboy boots, or a cowboy hat listening to Vince Gill. I love Elvis, but I also love Neil Young (not a Southern Man) and Rush. I'm more likely to listen to Prince than Carrie Underwood. Went to a Loretta Lynn show 6 months ago. Loved it. Loved Coachella, but hoped I didn't run to Miley Cyrus.

So I am I going to be OK in Nashville?

I mean, there's very little chance I will ever listen to Country music station on my way to a foodie restaurant, probably NPR.

Will Nashville drive me crazy or will I love it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2014, 11:16 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,333,679 times
I realize you're not trying to be offensive -- so I'll be nice about this.

While Country Music is definitely prevalent, it is not what everyone listens to. Not even close. Are there more Country fans than the average city? Probably so. But don't let the boots and cowboy hats fool you...besides the artists, very very few people actually wear that here. Most dress like.....they do in every other city in the country. Yes, there are local styles, but not boots and cowboy hats.

You're more likely to see and be turned off by the "redneck" look -- which is little more than tshirts, baseball caps, and perhaps the occasional Skoal imprint in the back pocket of a pair of jeans...and camo...lots of camo. But even that isn't the dominant look.

If you see boots and cowboy hats all over the place, you're probably looking at a bunch of giddy tourists soaking in the honkytonk scene down on Lower Broadway. Most locals don't go there...at least not regularly.

We have a much greater musical diversity than we get credit for. You can find live music (both local home grown and touring acts) of virtually every genre. We get a lot of the normal national touring acts that cities our size tend to draw. You mention liking Neil Young and Rush -- Neil Young filmed his Heart of Gold concert/documentary at the Ryman, and Rush has been here several times, most recently last year. Prince even toured here back in his heyday. Rush even recorded some songs at Blackbird Studios in Berry Hill.

In short -- you should have no real trouble enjoying music OTHER than Country while living here. It's definitely prevalent, because the stars live here and the media covers it pretty closely...but no one is forcing you to listen to it.

As for hipsters -- yes, we do have hipsters. Most people will point to the largest concentration of them in East Nashville, but they can honestly be found in a lot of neighborhoods, even in the burbs (although I'm not sure that's hipster kosher).

Nashville is a sizable city, and like any sizable city, you can find all types of people, and in large numbers. Forget the tired and worn out Hee Haw stereotypes and come and visit. If you're looking for Country culture, you'll definitely find it. But if you're looking for other things, you'll find them too. Will Nashville drive you crazy? I don't know, maybe. Will you love it? That's also a possibility. Only you can decide that.

P.S. -- I'm not particularly a Country fan -- I like a little of everything...from Rock, Alternative, Metal, Progressive, Funk, Punk, R&B, Soul, Blues, Americana, Bluegrass, and Folk. But there is some Country I do like. It's not the Country that is played on the radio. The radio has done the genre a terrible injustice by focusing nearly exclusively on the awful "Bro Country" genre, and people not familiar with that are terrified by the whiny, twangy sad songs of yesteryear. There is a whole lot more to Country than that. I'm not saying you'll like the other stuff -- but I would almost bet you could find something you would find enjoyable. Some Neil Young songs are damn near Country themselves. There are elements of Country that blend with other genres. Both Rock and Country have a lot of ties to the Blues. Country has plenty of elements of Folk and Bluegrass. Americana is probably a more authentic version of what Country Music should be. You can find plenty of non-radio-crap Country in Nashville, but you have to know where to go.

Old 05-19-2014, 07:51 AM

2,122 posts, read 2,421,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
P.S. -- I'm not particularly a Country fan -- I like a little of everything...from Rock, Alternative, Metal, Progressive, Funk, Punk, R&B, Soul, Blues, Americana, Bluegrass, and Folk. ....
How much in the way of alt rock and metal come thtough? or is there an established "scene". I'm a metalhead at heart, the wife loves alternative.

Old 05-19-2014, 09:15 AM

813 posts, read 2,031,772 times
People seems to get so caught up with the fact that Nashville is the home of country music, see Lower Broadway and often fail to do their due diligence on the full extent of the city's music scene. Genres like electronic and R&B seem to be more of a weakness for the Nashville music scene overall, IMO, but even those have a presence. The alternative rock scene here is quite strong as one should expect given the fact that artists like Jack White, Kings of Leon, Paramore, Ben Folds and The Black Keys are based here among others. Many other artists spend a considerable amount of time here either recording, honing their skills or simply spending some time away from the coasts.

We get most of the major touring acts these days and the local community is very supportive of the independent music scene particularly Lightning 100 which is a local independent radio station. We have concert series like Live on the Green, Musicians Corner and the Road to Bonnaroo. Bonnaroo itself takes place just south of the metro each year and many prefer it to Coachella. I haven't heard about the metal scene much but I cannot say I have much interest in the genre. I know shows are common at The End on Elliston Place.

I really don't think you'll have to worry about the music scene much here unless you're expecting NYC/LA levels of musical diversity and do not put much effort into finding out what's going on.

Last edited by ariesjow; 05-19-2014 at 09:26 AM..

Old 05-19-2014, 09:17 AM

12 posts, read 18,453 times
This a great stuff. Getting excited to schedule a trip to check the city out.

Old 05-19-2014, 09:54 AM

933 posts, read 2,742,475 times
What everyone else said. Btw, Music trivia for the day. Neil Young regularly records here. "Harvest" was recorded in Nashville with a then young upstart named James Taylor when he was a session musician on banjo. That's him playing banjo on the song "Old Man".

Old 05-19-2014, 10:00 AM

6,662 posts, read 13,333,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigequinox View Post
How much in the way of alt rock and metal come thtough? or is there an established "scene". I'm a metalhead at heart, the wife loves alternative.
Plenty of alternative acts come through, as do some of the bigger metal acts.

Check out the concert lists for the main venues to get an idea (Bridgestone Arena, Ryman Auditorium, War Memorial Auditorium, Woods at Fontenel, Marathon Music Works, Exit/In, Mercy Lounge, 3rd and Lindsey, and a whole bunch that I'm forgetting. Usually the Nashville Scene has a great rundown of all of the live music events around town.

Old 05-19-2014, 10:58 AM

4,344 posts, read 4,721,445 times
You mentioned Coachella. Looking at this year's line up, here (off the top of my head) most/many of the big names have played in Nashville in the 2 years I've been here (that I know of or have gone to see). As nashvols said, check Nashville Scene. Other venues are High Watt, Cannery Ballroom, 12th & Porter.

Old 05-19-2014, 12:42 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Lots of rock music and good times to be had downtown. South of Nashville is one of the original alt music festivals, Bonnaroo.

You'll be fine. I hate country music, I party in Nashville quite often.

Old 05-19-2014, 01:12 PM

374 posts, read 693,394 times
I can't stand contemporary, commercial country music and I work in the business. I try to think of it as a harmless annoyance--a product for export--that helps subsidize the better stuff.

Last edited by JMT; 05-19-2014 at 04:36 PM.. Reason: Removed off-topic remark.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville