Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2022, 01:16 PM

426 posts, read 960,418 times

Advertisements

Hey guys,

My mom and stepdad recently moved to Nashville from upstate NY 2 years ago....they bought in the Mt. Juliet area right before the pandemic and love it there.

Me and my fiance' are considering making the move from Long island NY to Nashville as well, other areas we are looking at are Raleigh, Tampa, somewhere in Texas (Dallas, Houston) or the Atlanta area and it's suburbs. Possibly Charlotte or Greenville SC as well.

Main reasons are cheaper taxes, lower cost of living, less stress, and politics that align with our more conservative views.

The catch is while the cost of living is cheaper, if I moved there I'd be taking about a 20 or 30k pay cut from my NY salary. Here i make about 100k, some years 110ish with overtime, but in TN my salary for my profession would be around 80k, maybe 85. So it'd be a bit of a decrease.

My question is how far would 80-85k salary go in the Nashville area or surrounding suburbs? Murfreesboro, Mt. Juliet, Hendersonville, Green Hill etc.

Would you think taking a 20k pay cut is worth it?

Thanks for any input! : )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2022, 04:16 PM

25 posts, read 37,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logical95 View Post
Hey guys,

My mom and stepdad recently moved to Nashville from upstate NY 2 years ago....they bought in the Mt. Juliet area right before the pandemic and love it there.

Me and my fiance' are considering making the move from Long island NY to Nashville as well, other areas we are looking at are Raleigh, Tampa, somewhere in Texas (Dallas, Houston) or the Atlanta area and it's suburbs. Possibly Charlotte or Greenville SC as well.

Main reasons are cheaper taxes, lower cost of living, less stress, and politics that align with our more conservative views.

The catch is while the cost of living is cheaper, if I moved there I'd be taking about a 20 or 30k pay cut from my NY salary. Here i make about 100k, some years 110ish with overtime, but in TN my salary for my profession would be around 80k, maybe 85. So it'd be a bit of a decrease.

My question is how far would 80-85k salary go in the Nashville area or surrounding suburbs? Murfreesboro, Mt. Juliet, Hendersonville, Green Hill etc.

I think you would do just fine here. The median household income in Mt. Juliet is around $93,000. Green Hill (basically Mt. Juliet) would be about the same. Based on your comparison you would make around the wage of the average household which is certainly doable here.

I think your biggest hurdle on any of the four areas will be availably of homes and affordability of homes.

Your money would probably go further in Murfreesboro area of the four.

All areas are pretty decent places to live. Hendersonville has a nice lake vibe as well.

I hope this helps.

2020 Census Median Household Income:
Mt. Juliet $93, 096
Hendersonville $75,146
Murfreesboro 60,683
(All are healthy numbers for TN)

Last edited by Lexusof5; 04-09-2022 at 04:28 PM..

Old 04-10-2022, 08:46 PM

34,054 posts, read 17,071,203 times
You will do fine. The middle Tn unemployment rate is ultra low, which drives rate increases up.

I am a Ct native who lived in Hendersonville 2004-2014, Nashville 1997-2004.

Add in NO State Income tax; no auto property tax, low housing property tax which also reduces rental costs, btw, if you opt to rent.

I am only in Ct now due to aging family, but plan on retiring in wonderful middle Tennessee.

Old 04-11-2022, 08:27 AM

3,047 posts, read 3,315,933 times
Quote:
Hey guys,

Main question is doing what? Are you sure you won't have closer to same salary? What are you doing to improve your career?

Location in Nashville depends where you will be working. Murfreesboro, Hendersonville, Mt Juliet, Bellevue, Green Hill offer different commute times. Cheaper taxes in no state income tax offset by maybe higher sales tax. Cheaper energy cost. To be closer to mom & stepdad may be worth every dollar.

Old 04-12-2022, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWoodle View Post
Main question is doing what? Are you sure you won't have closer to same salary? What are you doing to improve your career?

Location in Nashville depends where you will be working. Murfreesboro, Hendersonville, Mt Juliet, Bellevue, Green Hill offer different commute times. Cheaper taxes in no state income tax offset by maybe higher sales tax. Cheaper energy cost. To be closer to mom & stepdad may be worth every dollar.
Hey GWoodle, I am in the medical field and I am looking at jobs within the Vanderbilt health system at Vanderbilt hospital. I am a male nurse, looking to become an NP (nurse practitioner) in a few years. In NY, nurses make 100-110k and with overtime pay if you do a lot of it nurses here can make 120k+ in some areas of NY like Manhattan and the 5 boroughs. I saw online in TN nurses make about 80-85k. So it would be about a 20k pay cut in my estimations.

I'm just asking opinions if you guys think it's worth it for the move or if you'd personally take a 20k pay cut to live somewhere you really want to. TN seems to have no state tax like Florida and Texas, so that is already a 6k savings for me right there. Also lower property taxes, but TN has a very high sales tax which kind of offsets the no state income tax. Mom and stepdad are there but I'd still be leaving a lot of family I have here in NY (cousins, aunt, uncle, biological dad, etc....)

But honestly it's just becoming unbearable here, the only reason most people stay is bc a lot of high paying jobs are offered here.

Old 04-12-2022, 08:27 PM

34,054 posts, read 17,071,203 times
Quote:
Also lower property taxes, but TN has a very high sales tax which kind of offsets the no state income tax. .
It never offsets it. Lets assume you pay 5% of your 100k in income tax to NY ($5k).

Lets assume conservatively you spend, at the most, $400 weekly on taxable items (Eating out, groceries, food). A typical sales tax rate is about 6%. Tn is 2.5% more in sales tax rate, typically (varies by county).

2.5% * $400 is $10 more/week sales tax, $520 more per year.

You just traded an extra $5k State Income tax reduction for an extra $520 sales tax annually.

On average, you will also likely save $2-$4k , minimum, on property taxes on a home. If you rent, that is why Tn rents are lower than rents in the tri-state (Ct/NY/NJ).

Tn ranks in the bottom 20% total individual tax burden, state and local.

Old 04-12-2022, 09:01 PM

730 posts, read 815,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
According to WalletHub, Tennessee ranks 49th for over all tax burden. New York is 1st, not surprisingly.

https://wallethub.com/edu/states-wit...x-burden/20494

And within Tennessee, some places have lower taxes than others. In the Nashville area, I believe Davidson County has the highest property tax rates although I'm sure it's still much cheaper than anything in the NYC area.

Old 04-12-2022, 09:04 PM

3,047 posts, read 3,315,933 times
Quote:
Hey GWoodle, I am in the medical field and I am looking at jobs within the Vanderbilt health system at Vanderbilt hospital. I am a male nurse, looking to become an NP (nurse practitioner) in a few years. In NY, nurses make 100-110k and with overtime pay if you do a lot of it nurses here can make 120k+ in some areas of NY like Manhattan and the 5 boroughs. I saw online in TN nurses make about 80-85k. So it would be about a 20k pay cut in my estimations.

I'm just asking opinions if you guys think it's worth it for the move or if you'd personally take a 20k pay cut to live somewhere you really want to. TN seems to have no state tax like Florida and Texas, so that is already a 6k savings for me right there. Also lower property taxes, but TN has a very high sales tax which kind of offsets the no state income tax. Mom and stepdad are there but I'd still be leaving a lot of family I have here in NY (cousins, aunt, uncle, biological dad, etc....)

But honestly it's just becoming unbearable here, the only reason most people stay is bc a lot of high paying jobs are offered here.
Vanderbilt University Medical Center is the #1 hospital in Nashville. Opportunities range from clinic in Walgreen stores, VUMC, and 2 offsite former mall locations. #2 is the Ascension St Thomas Group & #3 is the TriStar Centennial group. Between the 3 should be plenty of opportunities for nurses. Not sure if the prices mentioned are for entry level or what.

Normal advice in these forums is to get your employment settled first then find a place to live. From the west side in Bellevue a lot of health care workers make the commute into 1 of the 3 hospitals mentioned. You don't have to get in the Brentwood/Franklin high price area. Getting back to NY via Southwest flights from BNA make that possible.

Old 04-14-2022, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloHome View Post
According to WalletHub, Tennessee ranks 49th for over all tax burden. New York is 1st, not surprisingly.

https://wallethub.com/edu/states-wit...x-burden/20494

And within Tennessee, some places have lower taxes than others. In the Nashville area, I believe Davidson County has the highest property tax rates although I'm sure it's still much cheaper than anything in the NYC area.
Yea, in certain parts of NY and in the tri-state area property taxes can be 15-20k a year. It's nuts. I'd assume Franklin and Brentwood may be close to that but I am sure other areas are a lot cheaper. My parents are in Mt. Juliet and they pay 3k a year in property taxes.

Old 04-14-2022, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
It never offsets it. Lets assume you pay 5% of your 100k in income tax to NY ($5k).

Lets assume conservatively you spend, at the most, $400 weekly on taxable items (Eating out, groceries, food). A typical sales tax rate is about 6%. Tn is 2.5% more in sales tax rate, typically (varies by county).

2.5% * $400 is $10 more/week sales tax, $520 more per year.

You just traded an extra $5k State Income tax reduction for an extra $520 sales tax annually.

On average, you will also likely save $2-$4k , minimum, on property taxes on a home. If you rent, that is why Tn rents are lower than rents in the tri-state (Ct/NY/NJ).

This is interesting and good math. I paid about 6k in state income taxes last year to NY, and I thought that in certain areas TN's sales taxes are as high as 9% depending on the county, but I thought the high sales tax may offset that, but clearly not. Big diff bt 6k and $520.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville