Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2023, 04:32 AM

12,477 posts, read 9,570,120 times

Advertisements

A sea otter in Santa Cruz, California has been ambushing surfers, taking their boards, and then riding waves with them!

https://www.npr.org/2023/07/13/11872...t=nprml&f=1055

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2023, 12:15 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,057,756 times
I watched a video on the late night news last night about this otter. I think she will achieve instant celebrity status around the world. She cracked me up laughing from watching her stealing boards from people and then riding the boards. She is so clever and she literally had a big smile on her face. Otters are so smart and they have an amazing sense of humour, they're so adept at playing jokes on humans and other living things.

I hope she comes to no harm from people trying to get rid of her for interfering with their human fun. I'm guessing conservation officers will be required to move her along so she doesn't cause accidents or injuries to humans in the water. But I really hope they will relocate her to a safe place where there aren't many people to harm her or kill her.

I hope she teaches all of her future babies how to steal and use surfboards too.

Otter evolution. Yeah!

Old 07-17-2023, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I watched a video on the late night news last night about this otter. I think she will achieve instant celebrity status around the world. She cracked me up laughing from watching her stealing boards from people and then riding the boards. She is so clever and she literally had a big smile on her face. Otters are so smart and they have an amazing sense of humour, they're so adept at playing jokes on humans and other living things.

I hope she comes to no harm from people trying to get rid of her for interfering with their human fun. I'm guessing conservation officers will be required to move her along so she doesn't cause accidents or injuries to humans in the water. But I really hope they will relocate her to a safe place where there aren't many people to harm her or kill her.

I hope she teaches all of her future babies how to steal and use surfboards too.

Otter evolution. Yeah!

Better not tell her she can be a social media influencer this way, or we humans are in big trouble!

Old 07-18-2023, 04:12 AM

5,014 posts, read 10,702,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post

Otter evolution. Yeah!
Per the article:
The otter at Steamer Lane will live out the rest of its life in captivity once caught by the USFWS and aquarium staff. She's no longer afraid of humans, and if the otter were to bite or harm a person, she would have to be euthanized.

If she has babies, they will grow up in captivity ):

Old 07-18-2023, 10:11 AM

12,047 posts, read 8,436,379 times
I saw this too and I laughed out loud. They're so darned cute. Hope people are dealing with this with a sense of humor.

Little rascals!

Sometimes I run across videos on youtube of a couple of pet otters that someone owns. Looks like it may be in an Asian country. And they spoil those otters rotten.

It appears that they are curious, good-natured animals.

Old 07-20-2023, 04:27 PM

17,347 posts, read 11,297,907 times
Sea otters are not little. They can weigh up to 90 pounds although this one being female looks smaller. They are the heaviest member of the weasel family. They are not the same animal as those little cute ones found in some rivers and can be quite ferocious if need be. I wouldn't be shocked if they could kill a large dog if fighting for their lives.
She could easily severely hurt someone if she bites and if she's angry could probably take a person's arm off while in the water. I'm not sure why she can't be relocated to remote coastal Alaska with other sea otters where she isn't going to be a threat to humans and live her life in peace.

Last edited by marino760; 07-20-2023 at 05:07 PM..

Old 07-21-2023, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Sea otters are not little. They can weigh up to 90 pounds although this one being female looks smaller. They are the heaviest member of the weasel family. They are not the same animal as those little cute ones found in some rivers and can be quite ferocious if need be. I wouldn't be shocked if they could kill a large dog if fighting for their lives.
She could easily severely hurt someone if she bites and if she's angry could probably take a person's arm off while in the water. I'm not sure why she can't be relocated to remote coastal Alaska with other sea otters where she isn't going to be a threat to humans and live her life in peace.
I hate the thought of her going into captivity (prison) for being a surf board highjacking terrorist but I think if a California sea otter was relocated that far north she probably wouldn't survive the first year. That would be due to the different and more severe climate conditions or succumbing to the naturally higher numbers of bigger fiercer predators that hunt the coastlines there, like orcas, sea lions, sea wolves, grizzly bears et al that think otters are very yummy to eat.

Washington state's Olympic Peninsula has a more moderate climate and might be a suitable location for transfer, or near the PNW gulf islands up into the Strait. There are other sea otters there but there wouldn't be any surfing going on for her to interfere with around the PNW gulf islands.

Old 07-29-2023, 09:22 AM

Apparently, she is known as Otter 841, and "the authorities" are trying to catch her. She is believed to have been born in the Monterey Bay Aquarium about 5 years ago, and this association with humans may explain her boldness now.
https://www.npr.org/2023/07/22/11893...t=nprml&f=1132

Old 07-29-2023, 09:28 AM

Her celebrity has inspired a line of merchandise...

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1528966...cruz-sea-otter

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1517437...ee-841-sticker

https://www.teepublic.com/t-shirt/48...41-otter-front

https://www.spreadshirt.com/shop/des...7kpENjxm-812-7

https://t-shirtat.com/shop/otter-841...y-funny-shirt/

https://www.teepublic.com/t-shirt/48...ornia-sea-otte

Last edited by OutdoorLover; 07-29-2023 at 10:04 AM..

Old 07-29-2023, 11:33 AM

Sounds like she's becoming a mascot and a heroine for numerous followers. LOL.

Something I heard on the news (yes, the TV news broadcasters up here are still following her activities too) is that she was tagged or chipped or whatever with some kind of locational tracking device before the aquarium released her. She's been free and hijacking surfboards all in good fun for awhile now and hasn't been caught yet so I suspect that the "authorities" don't really have their hearts set on tracking and capturing her. I'm sure they have more important things to deal with besides stopping an otter adventuress from having some fun.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature