Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2023, 01:14 PM

14,553 posts, read 12,197,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Did you know that jellyfish harvesting is the biggest commercial seafood commodity in Georgia?

https://gacoast.uga.edu/wp-content/u...lyer-FINAL.pdf

I did not! Nor do I understand how something that looks like that, and I have seen plenty in person, would ever be "crunchy" or have any flavor at all.

And being not very adventurous... I may never find out!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2023, 02:32 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,091,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertFisher View Post
How about those green seaweed in my picture? Are they edible? They remind me of seaweed I saw in Korean markets.
That's Sea Lettuce. https://www.northernbushcraft.com/se...tuce/notes.htm

https://www.northernbushcraft.com/seashore/index.htm

Taken from the northern bushcraft site: https://www.northernbushcraft.com/index.htm

Old 09-12-2023, 02:45 PM

I wouldn't ever eat anything that I found dead and cast up on the shoreline. I'd only eat edibles that I'd taken alive directly from the ocean.

Old 09-12-2023, 02:58 PM

1,148 posts, read 629,451 times
Everyone should expand their culinary horizons.

Seaweed, sea kelp, jellyfish... if it's edible, just try it with an open mind.

I think the future of this planet will depend on us on consuming more sustainably... so therefore more vegetarian VS animal. In this case more seaweed / kelp. Lay off the more popular white flesh fish that are being harvested out of existence.

Food is an adventure. It's all nutritious. I applaud the OP for wanting to try foraging these more sustainable sources.

Old 09-12-2023, 03:11 PM

23,379 posts, read 18,993,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgePodge View Post

I think the future of this planet will depend on us on consuming more sustainably... so therefore more vegetarian VS animal. In this case more seaweed / kelp. Lay off the more popular white flesh fish that are being harvested out of existence.

Food is an adventure. It's all nutritious. I applaud the OP for wanting to try foraging these more sustainable sources.
And considering how the declining state of the ocean seems to favor jelly populations, embracing edible species seems likely. Freshly harvested from the sea makes the most sense. No dead beach salvage for me! Not much different than picking up roadkill you didn't witness getting hit and cooking it up for dinner

Old 09-12-2023, 03:56 PM

2,075 posts, read 1,687,797 times
"According to DNR, jellyfish make up the largest
commercial seafood commodity by landings in Georgia.
Several million pounds of jellyfish have been harvested in a
given year. Most locally-harvested jellyfish are exported to
China and Japan, but small quantities are shipped
directly to Asian markets in the U.S."

"WHAT DO THEY TASTE LIKE?
Jellyfish have a crunchy texture..."

Learn something new every day. However, for the life of me, I can't see how a jelly fish could be "crunchy."

Old 09-13-2023, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgePodge View Post

No lecture here towards anyone, just wanting to state my own observations and opinions. I agree that it's important for humans to lean more towards eating land grown vegetarian foods and less towards meats, but if we're going to eat sustainably then humans should not be harvesting any marine vegetable resources nor any marine animals.

Yes, I know that's a tough one for humans to try to choke down. But harvesting those things for human use is one of the things that is contributing to killing the oceans, reducing oxygen production, heating the oceans and killing marine animals. Once the oceans and all things in them are dead then everything else on earth will be dead too. That is not just some fanciful exaggeration, it's a fact.

The above things like seaweeds, kelp, edible jellyfish are actually not sustainable, and they are vital to the survival of the entire marine species food chain, but they are not vital to land animals, including humans. They mainly only grow close to shorelines where they can get daylight, and near shorelines is also mainly where most other marine life is found, not out in deep waters, because near shorelines is where most of the food is that marine life depends on. Because of marine plants.

Kelp may be edible (non-toxic) to humans but it's not digestible to the human digestive system. That is a good thing for the huge biodiversity of thousands of marine species in the food chain whose very survival and continuance every year is dependent on the growth of kelp forest for a lot more than just food. And kelp forests don't grow everywhere. There are only 3 species of kelp on the planet and they mostly grow near the North American west coast shorelines of the Pacific from California to Alaska. That's a very limited area.

Same thing goes for edible seaweeds like sea lettuce, dulse, wakame, nori, kombu, hijiki, Irish moss etc. Humans do not need any of them to survive but they are all crucially vital to the survival of all other marine species in the marine food chain. From the very smallest of zooplankton all the way up to the very largest of sea animals they are essential and they are vital to the production of oxygen, the bulk of which Earth's supply (75%) comes directly from the oceans.

I think it's time we all give the oceans and lakes and everything in them a much needed break and a chance to recover from the abuses that humans have been doing to them for the sake of human bellies.

Old 09-14-2023, 04:24 AM

24,135 posts, read 32,552,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
It is similar to the kind we see washed up here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aurelia_aurita
Aurelia aurita (also called the common jellyfish, moon jellyfish, moon jelly or saucer jelly) is a species of the family Ulmaridae.[1][2] All species in the genus are very similar, and it is difficult to identify Aurelia medusae without genetic sampling;[3] most of what follows applies equally to all species of the genus.
The jellyfish is almost entirely translucent, usually about 25–40 cm (10–16 in) in diameter, and can be recognized by its four horseshoe-shaped gonads, easily seen through the top of the bell. It feeds by collecting medusae, plankton, and mollusks with its tentacles, and bringing them into its body for digestion. It is capable of only limited motion, and drifts with the current, even when swimming.

I can't imagine wanting to eat it. It's gelatinous goo, mostly water.
^^^ THIS. Jelly fish for dinner? It's hard to think of anything LESS appetizing. And four gonads! Now I'm hungry - for food - not a lab specimen. How does one serve it? With a side of formaldehyde? For the life of me, I don't see the appeal of eating a transparent gob of goo.

I'd prefer a 1960s Jello mold to a dead creature with 4 gonads. I am afraid to ask about the rest of the reproductive system.

Old 09-14-2023, 07:30 AM

17,428 posts, read 16,602,825 times
I have come to realize that the word "delicacy" is code for: weird stuff that I would never eat.

Old 09-14-2023, 10:42 AM

45,515 posts, read 60,746,993 times
I'll just comment that there is a limit to foraging and scavenging.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature