Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2023, 02:07 PM

1,651 posts, read 1,307,693 times

Advertisements

See picture; from California's ocean:

What jelly fish is this, and is it edible?-jelly-fish.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2023, 02:19 PM

14,507 posts, read 12,148,609 times
It is similar to the kind we see washed up here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aurelia_aurita
Aurelia aurita (also called the common jellyfish, moon jellyfish, moon jelly or saucer jelly) is a species of the family Ulmaridae.[1][2] All species in the genus are very similar, and it is difficult to identify Aurelia medusae without genetic sampling;[3] most of what follows applies equally to all species of the genus.
The jellyfish is almost entirely translucent, usually about 25–40 cm (10–16 in) in diameter, and can be recognized by its four horseshoe-shaped gonads, easily seen through the top of the bell. It feeds by collecting medusae, plankton, and mollusks with its tentacles, and bringing them into its body for digestion. It is capable of only limited motion, and drifts with the current, even when swimming.

I can't imagine wanting to eat it. It's gelatinous goo, mostly water.

Old 09-11-2023, 02:32 PM

130,511 posts, read 12,138,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
It is similar to the kind we see washed up here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aurelia_aurita
Aurelia aurita (also called the common jellyfish, moon jellyfish, moon jelly or saucer jelly) is a species of the family Ulmaridae.[1][2] All species in the genus are very similar, and it is difficult to identify Aurelia medusae without genetic sampling;[3] most of what follows applies equally to all species of the genus.
The jellyfish is almost entirely translucent, usually about 25–40 cm (10–16 in) in diameter, and can be recognized by its four horseshoe-shaped gonads, easily seen through the top of the bell. It feeds by collecting medusae, plankton, and mollusks with its tentacles, and bringing them into its body for digestion. It is capable of only limited motion, and drifts with the current, even when swimming.

I can't imagine wanting to eat it. It's gelatinous goo, mostly water.

I wouldn't want to eat it either, but I think some jellyfish are considered delicacy in Japan

Old 09-11-2023, 03:12 PM

5,656 posts, read 3,165,043 times
I visited the Scripps Aquarium in LaJolla, and they had an aquarium filled with these. My goodness...they were so pretty and magical looking!

Old 09-11-2023, 03:26 PM

23,338 posts, read 18,903,694 times
From an authority in your vicinity OP.

https://www.ediblemontereybay.com/on...oon-jellyfish/

Edible or not, I certainly wouldn't eat a dead one that washed up on a beach! Its already rotting!

Old 09-11-2023, 06:30 PM

1,140 posts, read 622,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post

Edible or not, I certainly wouldn't eat a dead one that washed up on a beach! Its already rotting!
Agreed... nah pass on the dead rotted animal, no matter what species :P

For those who have never had jellyfish, it's quite good. It's a common dish in Chinese restaurants. It's purely for the texture... kinda crunchy with a distinct mild taste. It's usually served cold with sesame oil and I think some sort of vinegar dressing.

The thing is this... with the oceans / seas getting warmer, our fish stock being overfished, it's time for us to consider laying off the Tuna, Cod, Halibut, etc and start eating the super plentiful species like jellyfish, dogfish (a very abundant shark), etc.

In some areas because of warmer water, overfishing.. .the only thing in super abundance are jellyfish... so eat up!

Old 09-12-2023, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post

Many of them look pretty fresh actually, only washed up by the last high tide. I will pick a holistic, fresh-looking one to give it a try.

I have the Chinese sesame salad recipe. But I wonder if I need to prep the jellyfish somehow. Their jellyfish does not seem to be 90% water...

Old 09-12-2023, 07:18 AM

How about those green seaweed in my picture? Are they edible? They remind me of seaweed I saw in Korean markets.

Old 09-12-2023, 07:22 AM

50,388 posts, read 64,062,004 times
Did you know that jellyfish harvesting is the biggest commercial seafood commodity in Georgia?

https://gacoast.uga.edu/wp-content/u...lyer-FINAL.pdf

Old 09-12-2023, 12:47 PM

23,338 posts, read 18,903,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertFisher View Post
How about those green seaweed in my picture? Are they edible? They remind me of seaweed I saw in Korean markets.
The same institution in that link could probably tell you about edible marine algae OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature