Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which pronounciation of Nevada do you prefer?
Short "a" sound, similar to "ahh" 13 30.95%
Longer "a" sound, similar to the "a" apple. 29 69.05%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 11:26 PM

1,125 posts, read 1,591,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
I make it a point to correct people that mispronounce it. They ask me about Ne vah duh, and I say, I don't know where that is, I live in Ne vaa da. I don't care if they don't like it. They don't seem to care if they insult me by mispronouncing it. And, yes, we all know that the Spanish pronunciation is Ne vah duh. But we speak Ne vaa dan here. The ones that really make me want to slap them are the one's, like my big sister, that argue that I, who has lived here 49 years, don't know how to pronounce it correctly. If you say Ne vah da you think you are sounding learned, but you are only sounding stupid to us.
And when people like you tell me I am pronouncing the name wrong I simply look at them and say, "It's America, I can say the name of my state however I want to."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2013, 12:52 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,368,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tymberwulf View Post
And when people like you tell me I am pronouncing the name wrong I simply look at them and say, "It's America, I can say the name of my state however I want to."
When in Rome do as the Romans do ...and you won't look like a fool.

Old 04-11-2013, 12:58 AM

When people insist on doing something wrong because they think being stubborn makes them right, they are really more stupid than the person who does something wrong because he doesn't know better.

Old 04-11-2013, 01:37 AM

1,596 posts, read 2,813,395 times
Wow - so many upset over something as silly as a pronunciation issue.

Don't sweat the small stuff, my friends. It ain't worth it.

Bill

Old 04-11-2013, 02:15 AM

10,864 posts, read 17,001,725 times
We had this debate in Key West forever. Is Caribbean correctly pronounced "Car-ibb-EEE-an" or "Ka-RIB-be-an?" We decided it doesn't matter. Although I suggested a third option -- Carib-Bean, just to be contrary.

In this debate, I align myself squarely with the "ne-VAD-a" crowd.

In general, find an octogenarian native and ask. That's how you'll get the correct answer. Although back home, the geezers all said the major city north of Key West is called "My-amm-uh." Not the more nasal "My-amm-me."

Old 04-11-2013, 07:16 AM

700 posts, read 1,330,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
Just curious: Do you speak Spanish, or Tex-Mex? There's a difference. I learned more Tex-Mex than Spanish in Laredo where 93% are Hispanic.
Spanish. I lived in Spain for a small while and had trouble picking up Castellano at first but it made me better and more appreciative of accents.

Old 04-11-2013, 07:50 AM

2,707 posts, read 2,839,465 times
We met some neighbors that just moved in, down the road, and the man's name is Nevada. To make funnier, they are from Texas. He pronounced it with an "ahh" so I will go with that way.

Old 04-11-2013, 10:43 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,301,155 times
Here in Iowa there is a small town called Nevada. It is pronounced Nuh-VAY-duh, and they get very upset when you say otherwise. I wonder if that adds to the confusion for anyone visiting from my part of the country?

Old 04-11-2013, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 124c41 View Post
We met some neighbors that just moved in, down the road, and the man's name is Nevada. To make funnier, they are from Texas. He pronounced it with an "ahh" so I will go with that way.
In Spanish it is ahh, but don't be surprised if locals jump down your throat every time you mispronounce the way we Nevadans want it pronounced. It's our state .... our name.

If I'm not mistaken, in Spanish there is one way to pronounce each vowel, while in English there are several ways to pronounce vowels. Local preference, in other words the people who the name belongs to, should prevail. I have a granddaughter named Ari - pronounced R E. If it was your name and people called you AIR -EE how would you feel?

Old 04-11-2013, 03:29 PM

BTW; There is Lima (Lee-ma) Peru, and Lima (Lime-a) Ohio. Go to Peru and say it like it's a bean and see what happens.

There is Genoa (Jen-o-a), Nevada, and there is Genoa (Jen-a-wah), Italy. You think those Tallys wouldn't kick your butt if you pronounced their city Jen-o-a?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada