Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Alpine vs Greenwich
Alpine, NJ 29 50.88%
Greenwich, CT 28 49.12%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2013, 08:07 PM

478 posts, read 1,229,710 times

Advertisements

If I'm spending waterfront money, I want my boat in the Sound!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2013, 08:37 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,945,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdstyles View Post
Alpine is new money, Greenwich is old money.
Not really entirely "old money" lives in Greenwich, Conn. There are quite a good number of persons and or families both gay and straight up there that are "new" money.

We're speaking of investors, investment bankers, hedge fund managers, tech money, doctors, entertainers, models, actors, etc... Wanda Sykes is hardly "old money".

List of people from Greenwich, Connecticut - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Greenwich is not the most wealthy town in Conn, those honors go to New Canaan, Darien and Weston.

As stated up-thread Alpine is just an area with lots of estates, Greenwich OTOH is an actual town with many areas. Anyone who knows the place can tell a lot about a person by where they live, I mean there are no "poor" parts of Alpine but you can find lower income persons in Greenwich.

Part of Alpine's allure is it's proximity to Manhattan especially the ease in getting to mid-town west or the Financial District by auto. Just cross the GWB, down the HH to Westside HH and bam, you are there. Going home it is just the reverse.

Old 11-21-2023, 08:13 AM

11 posts, read 3,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njusa2013 View Post
First off it is true that Greenwich is more an old money town than Alpine however, in no way does that mean it is nicer. First off architecturally speaking Alpine, NJ is more diverse: French Chateaux, English Tudors, Italian(MY FAV!) and Spanish Villas, American Colonials and Contempts as well as an outright fusion of European architectural styles all abound. Take your pick, if you have the money in Alpine you will find a house that wows you. Greenwich on the other hand, unless you like American architecture i.e. 3 square boxes with the largest in the center then prepare yourself for a yawn fest. I do not not care what anybody has to say in Greenwich you have 2 architectural styles of homes: american center hall colonials (which range from 5-50 thousand square feet) and your occasional english style stone manor house. Although many may find this type of architecture pleasing to me it is a boring as white bread! Although, at least in Greenwich you get to choose whether you want your exterior in all brick or wood siding (wood siding geeze kill me now what sane person shells out millions of dollars to live in a house with wood siding at least in Jersey no house over 800 grand is wood sided).
In terms of things to do, previous comments about Greenwich are correct as it has a large downtown and shopping area whereas Alpine is 99% residential. Alpine however is an enclave of Manhattan (just a 10 min drive to the bridge) and a 10 minute drive to routes 4 and 17 (where you will find the absolute highest concentration of stores on planet earth!) Also, if you want a charming downtown rather then a shopping mall Englewood, NJ (right next door to Alpine) will certainly please your every desire. In terms of natural beauty ok Greenwich does have beachfront property on the Long Island Sound....but....has any of you seen the Long Island Sound????!!!! YUCK!!!!!! Alpine is built on 200 ft gorgeous verdant granite cliffs overlooking the Hudson River from which lookout point will truly take your breath away. Furthermore, If any of you is into yachting you know that a trip up the Hudson Valley (due north of Alpine) is far more scenic and beautiful then any trip along the Long Island Sound. Lastly, in terms of people it is true that Alpine is newer money however they are not as "show-offy" as everyone says. Alpine is not home to your run of the mill millionaire. Alpine residents are bankers, moguls, pioneers, and captains of industry in their own right. They have made their fortunes through hard work and garish ostentation is the least of their concerns. Also about fitting in, in Jersey the belief is the richer you are the more property you own so that you may have the privacy you desire. Plus seriously in Jersey the attitude is I am who I am and if you don't like me I couldn't give a flying f**K! Very true indeed, after all the entire US believes that Jersey is somehow the armpit of America even though we are home to the absolute highest concentration of millionaires in the entire nation and besides Alpine we have at least another 15 towns that will take your breath away. You want to see estates? Take a drive through Somerset County and hop back in time to the Gilded Age of America where multi million dollar gargantuan estates and equestrian farms on massive acreage proliferate. At the turn of the century (1900) a veritable list of the "whose who" of their day built homes in the Somerset Hills of NJ. All of these then gentry commissioned master architects from Europe to build country homes to rival those in England and more importantly those of their neighbors. The result you will have to see it to believe it. Greenwich CT vs Somerset Hills NJ (Bernardsville, Bedminster, Far Hills, and Mendham) now that'd be a real duel of the Titans.
First of all, relax. Second of all, have some class- you're only proving the stereotype about New Jersey. Not to mention what you said isn't true about architecture, but you know that. Greenwich has 60,000 people, and it is much larger, and it is laughable to say there is only one type of house. Also, most millionaires per capita in the US? Also wrong, that's NYC, not New Jersey. The Long Island Sound is not gross, but in terms of swimming it isn't ideal either. It is actually very beautiful though in terms of looks, as is the Hudson. Alpine is significantly smaller, so the statistics get skewed, but considering it has about a 60th of the population of Greenwich, it should look much wealthier on paper- which it doesn't. Comparable avg. housing prices, with like 15 real houses for sale, and the rest are just plots of land (Greenwich has upward of 250 at any given point) . Also, I don't know what the hostility was about you clearly have a vendetta against Connecticut despite it clearly having more wealth by objective data. This isn't to put down the people in Alpine as they are also extremely wealthy however to put them above Greenwich in the way you did is laughable and only shows your lack of knowledge and aggrevation with the inferiority complex that is CT vs NJ. At the end of the day, Greenwich is wealthier than Alpine and likely Darien, New Canaan, and Westport too. All of those towns have similar or more money, with significantly higher populations. Next time when you comment, think it out because it shows you're either ignorant or unintelligent.

Old 11-21-2023, 08:26 AM

88,528 posts, read 84,719,546 times
^You roll up in here, dig up a thread that has not been active in TEN YEARS, answer a poster who has not posted on the site in FIVE YEARS, and then write that last sentence? Seriously? Maybe take that "think it out" advice yourself, eh?

Old 11-21-2023, 08:45 AM

12,159 posts, read 7,989,874 times
Greenwich clears the board for a multitude of reasons.

1. Better access to New York City, Beaches, and day trips. The Amtrak, NEC, MetroNorth run through Greenwich with stop sin/nearby in Stamford. If you want to go to the beach? Its like 30 minutes to the first one, and about 90 minutes to some really great ones. Also next to Stamford/Norwalk and New Haven give you infinite options for dining out.

2. Nicer in general. Alpine has big homes, but it feels rather.... new money/undefined. Its just a bunch of homes off the Palisades Parkway on big lots, surrounded by other towns. There seems to be no culture.

3. The Downtown(s). Greenwich has a really nice Downtown. Alpine is homes and highways.

4. If you are staying in NJ, why Alpine? Why not Ridgewood, Closter, Montvale or even Ramsey?

--Update: didn't realize FFCounty poster was trolling lol--

Old 11-22-2023, 05:09 PM

809 posts, read 467,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Greenwich clears the board for a multitude of reasons.

1. Better access to New York City, Beaches, and day trips. The Amtrak, NEC, MetroNorth run through Greenwich with stop sin/nearby in Stamford. If you want to go to the beach? Its like 30 minutes to the first one, and about 90 minutes to some really great ones. Also next to Stamford/Norwalk and New Haven give you infinite options for dining out.

2. Nicer in general. Alpine has big homes, but it feels rather.... new money/undefined. Its just a bunch of homes off the Palisades Parkway on big lots, surrounded by other towns. There seems to be no culture.

3. The Downtown(s). Greenwich has a really nice Downtown. Alpine is homes and highways.

4. If you are staying in NJ, why Alpine? Why not Ridgewood, Closter, Montvale or even Ramsey?

--Update: didn't realize FFCounty poster was trolling lol--
All this still stands though my guy . Just better auto access from Alpine if the tunnels are good, but otherwise Greenwich is the more well rounded and wealthier town that's also surprisingly somewhat diverse for a place a bit bougie. Can't really go wrong from Greenwich to Fairfield (all kinds of uses and housing types - just a bit pricey). Also - Port Chester right across the state line is on the rise with additional amenities (really good food there).

Old 11-22-2023, 05:44 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,239,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
Greenwich.
I prefer the location of Alpine, but Greenwich is bigger and an all around better town (more of a variety). Alpine has mansions and nothing else.
Old post but I figured I would mention that there is alot of open space in Alpine and the New Jersey section of the Palisades Interstate Park runs through it. https://njpalisades.org/

I did not vote on this one as I do not know the areas enough to say which one is better. Both seem great, Alpine seems more rustic and even semi-rural while Greenwich seems the more complete community. But just guessing.

Old 11-22-2023, 06:38 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,653,845 times
I'll take Rumson, Short Hills, Chatham, Spring Lake , Brielle, Glen Rock, Upper Saddle River.

Old 11-27-2023, 08:04 AM

12,159 posts, read 7,989,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
I'll take Rumson, Short Hills, Chatham, Spring Lake , Brielle, Glen Rock, Upper Saddle River.
Yes to Rumson, Brielle, Spring lake and Glen Rock.

No to Upper Saddle River, Short Hills and Chatham. (for me)

Alpine is such a weird place, idk why someone would want to live there.

Old 11-28-2023, 04:34 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,945,953 times
Well since this thread was resurrected from the dead...

Old Frick family and estate aside Alpine just seems to try too hard in ways common with new money.

Much of it looks like a "Tony Soprano" dream of what wealth or "some" money can have in terms of real estate.

Huge gaudy mansions built like Versailles but having none of the character nor charm of old time estates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey