Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 02:51 PM

414 posts, read 297,179 times

Advertisements

Every town has a person in charge of that who freely uses his or her bias to decide how quickly to process the application. Nobody will come after them for exceeding the 30 day requirement.

In my town, the detective in charge takes appointments one day per week, so it was not much hassle to visit him in his office and drop off the forms. By shear luck, he holds no bias, so the process runs smoothly. If he retired and was replaced with another detective who felt that civilians shouldn't own weapons, the process would drag to a stop.

It really comes down to the town you live in. I do see your concern about being perceived as a pest by trying to meet in person, but short of influence, there really isn't much you can do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2015, 09:24 AM

1,977 posts, read 7,759,742 times
When I first applied for my FID and PP in ELizabeth 20+ years ago, it took about 7 months. My references DID get contacted within the first 30 days but then it took forever to finalize everything. I stopped by the station about once a month and kept things friendly.

After moving and trying to update my FID, the new town first lost my address change application with no record of it. Even after I showed them the receipt I had, they made me reapply. 6 months later and they said the woman that was in charge of filing everything has retired and they have not replaced her yet and at this point have no idea what status any of the FIDs are in.

A year later, I still had not received my new card and I lost my old one from Elizabeth. I went back to check the status and they wanted me to reapply for a new one. I am currently sitting on 9 months waiting for the new card.

It is what it is. Welcome to the Peoples Republic of New Jersey.

Old 09-22-2015, 01:56 PM

23,581 posts, read 17,253,889 times
Make sure your FID and PP have the exact same address as on your driver license.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey