Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2015, 10:32 AM

2 posts, read 4,232 times

Advertisements

(New Guy here ) Hi I live in union county. I did everything from filling application to fingerprint. That was 5 months ago . My references hasn't gotten a call or letter yet and some find it strange. Every time I call to find out status , either the guy in charge is "on lunch" or "not in today" . Slowly losing hope. How long did you guys have to wait for yours ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2015, 10:54 AM

1,212 posts, read 2,255,500 times
Mine took a couple of months after my references got checked out.

I'd visit the local police station in person and see if they have all your paperwork. You might have to elevate it, if your documents somehow got lost or misplaced.

Old 09-10-2015, 11:37 AM

2,684 posts, read 2,407,276 times
I got one many years ago when I lived in Metuchen, took 9 months. Really nothing you can do about it either- the police stations are all flagrantly breaking the law by taking longer than 30 days, but if you say anything about it, they'll just deny the permit.

Old 09-10-2015, 11:45 AM

527 posts, read 1,410,411 times
What town in Union county do you live in?

You filed with your home town, not the county
correct ?

Some local town police depts are efficient, some not so much
All depends on how fast the chief of police works.

Old 09-10-2015, 11:49 AM

23,593 posts, read 17,269,743 times
FID might take a month to forever, depending on the town.

If you applied for both at the same time that might somehow gum up the works. Don't know how, but bet it did.

PP might take a couple of weeks or months, again depending on the local PD. A while back the required nics check was two months in NJ and a few minutes in maine...same database. Who knows why the diff?

Thought there was a time limit the cops had to follow. Even if so they can play with the wording of when the clock starts.

Interesting re the reference checks. Heard of a situation for a PP where the references were never contacted though the PP was approved. Could be silent rules for 2nd PP or time inthe community...just a WAG.

I'd show up and ask in person.

Maybe a wrong response or missing info. the wording can be a bit confusing and it is easy to answer incorrectly. Additionally there is a very confusing question and following string re citizenship that seems a logic skip that isn't.

Old 09-10-2015, 05:54 PM

2 posts, read 4,232 times
Elizabeth NJ. I had a few people tell me they may take forever . I don't want to keep calling and bothering them causing my application to get denied so I guess I'll just wait

Old 09-10-2015, 06:27 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,407,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12GaugeOf_Fun View Post
(New Guy here ) Hi I live in union county. I did everything from filling application to fingerprint. That was 5 months ago . My references hasn't gotten a call or letter yet and some find it strange. Every time I call to find out status , either the guy in charge is "on lunch" or "not in today" . Slowly losing hope. How long did you guys have to wait for yours ?
Do you happen to be on a first name basis with any of the cops in your town? If so they may be able to help you out with the "process".

Do you have a personal lawyer or in close contact with one. I'm not talking lawsuit just insider help. Sometimes all it takes is a phone call to get things moving.

Wife used to work for a Lawyer/Judge and he pulled a few strings for me. All legal and it sped up the process.

The old saying " It's not what you know but who you know".

Old 09-11-2015, 03:39 PM

54 posts, read 73,089 times
Mine took 2 months. I'm in Mercer County. I did everything in person and they were super nice. They even got the address wrong and I had it fixed within a week.

Old 09-11-2015, 08:53 PM

7,222 posts, read 11,945,754 times
Hi I live in Warren County and my FID took about 8 weeks. It only took that long because the wife of the one reference that I noted accidentally threw the original letter away. These days it should only take about 4-5 weeks.

Old 09-12-2015, 09:21 AM

684 posts, read 813,618 times
I would check in with them in person, when i was living in NJ i got my FID and PP all within about 3-4 weeks max but i also lived in a small town in Passaic County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey