Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 06:21 PM

70 posts, read 272,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannybannany View Post
Hi,
Those areas are good choices but as far as diverse...hmmm, I don't know.

You may want to try Ocean Grove and/ or Asbury Park. Both have a strong Gay community. I think your commute would be more like an hour + from the Asbury Park train station to Penn Station though.

The Gay community have been leaders in the revitilization of both towns.

Good luck!

Shanny
Thank You for Your Post! You are so right, A.P or the Grove is Top on My list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2008, 06:58 PM

7,577 posts, read 22,611,115 times
Shanny - I think you will be really surprised at how much NJ has changed... even in the middle of bum!@#% no where, you can find "family" : )) Not sure about leaving sunny CA for NJ though??? Are you nuts!!! : )))

Old 02-02-2008, 08:40 PM

1,369 posts, read 4,639,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
Shanny - I think you will be really surprised at how much NJ has changed... even in the middle of bum!@#% no where, you can find "family" : )) Not sure about leaving sunny CA for NJ though??? Are you nuts!!! : )))

Probably! LOL!

Old 02-04-2008, 10:10 AM

10 posts, read 30,741 times
Thanks everyone, for all the help! I don't know much about Jersey, so I will research these ideas. How about Mapletown?

Old 02-04-2008, 11:33 AM

445 posts, read 1,984,959 times
Look into Middletown, NJ. I think you would like it there. You can get a small house for 300k.Its a little bit over an hour to the city and more in rush hour but i love the middletown area.

Old 02-04-2008, 04:59 PM

11 posts, read 43,817 times
Default collingswood!

Quote:
Our ideal city would:
-have old houses
-be racially diverse (we are not all white)
-be progressive (we are lesbians wanting to start a family)
-be pretty and not just rural... have a town/or small city
-maybe be near a body of water????
I have to second Collingswood! Although, it is further than you desired distance from NYC, you could take the train to Philly & get on Amtrak (maybe 1.25 hours) or maybe you can relocate to Philadelphia for work???

Anyway, Collingswood offers EXACTLY what you want including the water! It has bodies of water on both borders, with beautiful walking/running trails. Has great turn of the century architecture, very progressive (many gay couples with families), and diverse. Not to mention it has a fabulous downtown area with restaurants & shops (voted Best of Philly & considered the "Restaurant Row" of South Jersey).

Check it out if not just for a visit

Old 02-04-2008, 06:30 PM

34 posts, read 100,455 times
Look into Middletown Township, the Belford, Navesink, Leonardo areas. Priced not too bad, and you can catch the ferry into Manhattan right down the street.

Old 02-05-2008, 03:47 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,764,557 times
Try Somerset County. Diverse, near water (rivers, etc), and close to most highways. Can be in the city in under an hour.
Good luck. Most New Jerseyans are very accepting and you'll find they won't ask to begin with. Your business is just that.

Old 02-05-2008, 04:21 AM

3,269 posts, read 9,937,412 times
I would second the suggestion for Boonton Town. Very diverse with a large gay population and a huge gay bar / club in town.

Old 02-05-2008, 09:58 AM

1,106 posts, read 4,899,310 times
Asbury Park is not an area that I would consider for raising children. It may be up and coming but the schools are still not up to par. Who knows what they will be like in 5 years but just keep that in mind.

I
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey