Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which highway sucks more!?
U.S Route 1 0 0%
U.S Route 9 2 100.00%
Both suck equally! 0 0%
North Jersey FTW! 0 0%
ummmm..... U.S Route 130 0 0%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2019, 05:16 PM

86 posts, read 105,078 times

Advertisements

For those of you that live in general area (Middlesex, Mercer, Monmouth Counties), which highway do you think is worst? Morning rush-hour, midday 'lunch break' traffic, evening rush-hour, cruising on a Saturday night, etc. etc.

U.S Route 1 or U.S Route 9? These two particular highways tend to generate a lot of hate for people that live in Central New Jersey. I happen to had grown up inbetween these two strips (in Monroe) and currently live in Freehold having to be forced to commute on U.S Route 9 for work. And.... well.... it quite frankly sucks. However, I do happen to remember stumbling upon U.S Route 1 a couple of times back in the day during rush-hour traffic and not particularly enjoying it either. Perhaps Route 1 may be slightly better, due to having more lanes, but I'd like to hear the perspectives from others on this forum.

FYI; I'm mainly referring to the interchanges from Edison to Trenton for U.S 1 and Woodbridge to Lakewood for U.S 9. South of Trenton, U.S 1 enters PA, which is irrelevant to this conversation. While south of Lakewood, U.S 9 essentially becomes a two lane country road, also irrelevant. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2019, 09:01 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,092,842 times
1 & 9 is probably the worst.

18 and 287 are pretty bad too, but I don't traverse any of them during rush hour.

None are anywhere near as bad as the ones up north around the city.

Old 08-14-2019, 09:51 AM

10,476 posts, read 6,991,011 times
All of them, I just avoid central Jersey all together and skip over the armpit of America part of Jersey via the Turnpike or Parkway.

Old 08-14-2019, 10:11 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,701,807 times
Route 9, more accidents. Bad mixture of slow cars and buses and too many traffic lights that promotes speeding. Whoever designed the timing for the traffic lights on rt.9 should be sent to jail for causing many road fatalities. If you go too slow you'll get caught in bottleneck of red light after another. They need to allow for higher volume without the bottleneck effects. In Manhattan on Lex and Madison ave I can hit green after green. Rt 9 is setup where only those doing 65mph+ can hit green after green.

Old 08-14-2019, 02:41 PM

19,125 posts, read 25,327,931 times
Which of those two highways is "worst"?

Here is an excellent explanation of why you should have asked "which highway is worse".

https://www.wikihow.com/Use-Worse-and-Worst

Old 08-14-2019, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Which of those two highways is "worst"?

Here is an excellent explanation of why you should have asked "which highway is worse".

https://www.wikihow.com/Use-Worse-and-Worst

Spoiler

But overall, yes I shall be more careful with my grammar kind sir or madam.

Old 08-14-2019, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Route 9, more accidents. Bad mixture of slow cars and buses and too many traffic lights that promotes speeding. Whoever designed the timing for the traffic lights on rt.9 should be sent to jail for causing many road fatalities. If you go too slow you'll get caught in bottleneck of red light after another. They need to allow for higher volume without the bottleneck effects. In Manhattan on Lex and Madison ave I can hit green after green. Rt 9 is setup where only those doing 65mph+ can hit green after green.
I never really understood that either. I don't think there is necessarily a big discrepancy on the amount of traffic lights between U.S Route 1 and U.S Route 9, but low and behold there happens to be more significant slowdown on Route 9 then on Route 1. I think it has much more to do with the fact that there is less consistency pertaining to the quantity of traffic lanes on U.S Route 9 compared to U.S Route 1.

Route 1 consistently tends to have 6 or more lanes on its stretch from Edison to Trenton. Route 9, however, starts at about 6 lanes in Sayreville/Old Bridge areas, only to be downgraded to only 4 lanes starting right around where you pass the shopping plaza with the Whole Foods in Marlboro, just south of Old Bridge, for most of its stretch from that point on. What makes this even more treacherous is how Route 9 will magically go back to 6 lanes on certain intersections (especially ones with big shopping destinations such as Freehold Raceway Mall or Manalapan EpiCentre), only to quickly revert back to 4 lanes after crossing these same major intersections. It also does not help how many people will use the very most right lanes on these particular intersections (the 65+ mph crew) to speed up ahead of people in the middle lanes, only to cut off those very same people once the very right lane merges with what was the middle lane. Those situations are just fender benders waiting to happen.

At the end of the day, the amount of lights probably wouldn't be that much of an issue if there was a consistent assortment of 6 or more lanes throughout the entire stretch of the highway. The constant stop & go is what further amplifies my hatred for this road.

Old 08-15-2019, 07:21 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,701,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hithere_imbored View Post
I never really understood that either. I don't think there is necessarily a big discrepancy on the amount of traffic lights between U.S Route 1 and U.S Route 9, but low and behold there happens to be more significant slowdown on Route 9 then on Route 1. I think it has much more to do with the fact that there is less consistency pertaining to the quantity of traffic lanes on U.S Route 9 compared to U.S Route 1.

Route 1 consistently tends to have 6 or more lanes on its stretch from Edison to Trenton. Route 9, however, starts at about 6 lanes in Sayreville/Old Bridge areas, only to be downgraded to only 4 lanes starting right around where you pass the shopping plaza with the Whole Foods in Marlboro, just south of Old Bridge, for most of its stretch from that point on. What makes this even more treacherous is how Route 9 will magically go back to 6 lanes on certain intersections (especially ones with big shopping destinations such as Freehold Raceway Mall or Manalapan EpiCentre), only to quickly revert back to 4 lanes after crossing these same major intersections. It also does not help how many people will use the very most right lanes on these particular intersections (the 65+ mph crew) to speed up ahead of people in the middle lanes, only to cut off those very same people once the very right lane merges with what was the middle lane. Those situations are just fender benders waiting to happen.

At the end of the day, the amount of lights probably wouldn't be that much of an issue if there was a consistent assortment of 6 or more lanes throughout the entire stretch of the highway. The constant stop & go is what further amplifies my hatred for this road.
You drive up and down Rte 9, there are some points with 3+ lanes then breaks off to 2 and then back up to 4 and repeat. The bottlenecking areas don't cause accidents. It's the straights that causes accidents. There are many left lane hoggers and buses that frequently stop. On Sunday night I can go to Freehold from Edison in 15mins. On Friday afternoon it is 50mins. The traffic lights are bad on Rt 9, they are designed to prevent people from speeding past 40mph, I find that going 60mph+ can go green light farer. On Rt 1, the traffic lights are much longer. More speeders but I harder ever seen accidents just more room.

Old 08-15-2019, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
You drive up and down Rte 9, there are some points with 3+ lanes then breaks off to 2 and then back up to 4 and repeat. The bottlenecking areas don't cause accidents. It's the straights that causes accidents. There are many left lane hoggers and buses that frequently stop. On Sunday night I can go to Freehold from Edison in 15mins. On Friday afternoon it is 50mins. The traffic lights are bad on Rt 9, they are designed to prevent people from speeding past 40mph, I find that going 60mph+ can go green light farer. On Rt 1, the traffic lights are much longer. More speeders but I harder ever seen accidents just more room.
Well that is mainly because of the lack of 3+ lanes (going one direction) for much of the strip between Lakewood and Marlboro. One thing I've noticed is that once you enter in Old Bridge, the traffic begins to flow much more nicely. The left lane hoggers are annoying, but that is only because there are only 2 lanes in one direction. The right lane is always going slower than the speed limit because cars in that lane are either trying to exit Route 9 or are backed up from cars ahead of them that are merging onto Route 9. Because of that, you have a lot of drivers that go on the left lane to avoid this, but because there are so many cars on the left lane it bottlenecks the traffic.

Old 08-15-2019, 08:22 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,210,835 times
What, no love for US-130?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey