Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2021, 08:23 AM

32,923 posts, read 36,323,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
What type of beer do you prefer? I really like IPA’s

I thought breweries in NJ weren’t allowed to serve food. Did that change?
They don't prepare the food. Double Nickel had crunchy bar snacks and menus for places which would deliver. Other places have trucks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2021, 08:30 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,677,303 times
the prohibition against serving food is super annoying. i go out with a group of guys every so often and one of the guys was pushing the colts neck stillhouse. id like to go but we usually get together after work and the no food thing is a deal breaker. i hear they usually have some food truck outside but i dont really like the food truck garbage.

Old 05-05-2021, 08:40 AM

32,923 posts, read 36,323,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
the prohibition against serving food is super annoying. i go out with a group of guys every so often and one of the guys was pushing the colts neck stillhouse. id like to go but we usually get together after work and the no food thing is a deal breaker. i hear they usually have some food truck outside but i dont really like the food truck garbage.
Not even lobster or BBQ?

Old 05-05-2021, 08:43 AM

6,203 posts, read 3,543,511 times
Quote:
What type of beer do you prefer? I really like IPA’s

I thought breweries in NJ weren’t allowed to serve food. Did that change?
That makes ZERO sense to me.

Old 05-05-2021, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Not even lobster or BBQ?
i like lobster and BBQ but anytime i have had them from a food truck they have always been sub par. these people open up their food trucks and try to offer something that appears premium but i have yet to come across one that really is premium.

Old 05-05-2021, 04:41 PM

962 posts, read 540,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
That makes ZERO sense to me.
Breweries cannot serve food thanks to the restaurant industry. It's to protect the value of liquor licenses. It used to be that breweries were prohibited from serving anything, even alcohol on premises, but recently an exception was carved out, stipulating that breweries could serve beer only in connection with a brewery tour. Breweries do not need liquor licenses to serve.

Think about it: if breweries could serve food and beer, without needing to pay close to a million dollars for a liquor license, traditional restaurants would not be able to compete. Another result of ridiculous liquor license laws.

Funny enough, the breweries I go to don't even try to fake the "brewery tour requirement" anymore. Magnify used to hand you a "tour guide" (it was a small piece of paper explaining how they make beer) when you sat down at the bar. It might have been removed as a requirement.

Shout out to Magnify though, they make excellent beer and have recently branched out into hard seltzer if that's your thing. They don't just make IPAs (though they make a lot of IPAs). They make pretty good sours (the new hip thing) and stouts too.

Old 05-05-2021, 05:06 PM

4,027 posts, read 3,631,840 times
Somehow, restaurants in New York are doing just fine despite the fact that breweries in NY can serve food. Magnify was the first brewery I went to where they made somewhat of a thing about the tour. I was confused at the time because I never knew that was a requirement. I’ve seen some other breweries have a tour demonstrated on screens, don’t know if that actually fulfills the requirement but I guess it’s not really enforced as I’ve never taken a tour in any of the dozen or so NJ breweries I’ve visited.

Magnify is great. Probably my favorite brewery in NJ so far. I’ve tried a few sours but I just can’t get into them at all.

Old 05-05-2021, 05:08 PM

3,422 posts, read 1,837,740 times
Quote:
I went in Kane in Ocean, NJ recently. Nice people and good beer. My one complaint is not all beers were available for filling a growler, so I wasn’t able to take home the beer I really wanted. Hoping to check out Magnify this weekend.
That's close to me.

They let you tour the brewery and taste beer?

Old 05-05-2021, 06:27 PM

6,203 posts, read 3,543,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnight_thunder View Post
Breweries cannot serve food thanks to the restaurant industry. It's to protect the value of liquor licenses. It used to be that breweries were prohibited from serving anything, even alcohol on premises, but recently an exception was carved out, stipulating that breweries could serve beer only in connection with a brewery tour. Breweries do not need liquor licenses to serve.

Think about it: if breweries could serve food and beer, without needing to pay close to a million dollars for a liquor license, traditional restaurants would not be able to compete. Another result of ridiculous liquor license laws.

Funny enough, the breweries I go to don't even try to fake the "brewery tour requirement" anymore. Magnify used to hand you a "tour guide" (it was a small piece of paper explaining how they make beer) when you sat down at the bar. It might have been removed as a requirement.

Shout out to Magnify though, they make excellent beer and have recently branched out into hard seltzer if that's your thing. They don't just make IPAs (though they make a lot of IPAs). They make pretty good sours (the new hip thing) and stouts too.
Okay. PA breweries can serve food though, and I thought their state owned liquor licenses were the worst. Regardless, I don't know why any venue anywhere selling alcohol wouldn't need a license just for the revenue alone. Ridiculous.

Old 05-05-2021, 07:04 PM

Every business has a natural right to serve liquor without a license. Liquor licensing is unconstitutional and anyone who participates in enforcing such rules needs to be locked in prison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey