Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2019, 05:42 PM

32,946 posts, read 36,394,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
I agree, but I do have to point-out that I'm not a slowpoke. When I get onto an expressway that is un-congested, I usually set my Cruise Control to 75 mph. Yes, there are some drivers who are still passing me at that speed, but I haven't been accident-free for 49 years because I am driving slowly.
I guess that I'll sit in your back seat if invited.

I remember driving 60 MPH on 476 south, the PA Turnpike, and my mother complaining that I was driving too fast. I had to explain that we would be killed if we drove any slower.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2019, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by potanta View Post
I paid for a lot of new clothing I bought throughout my college days. I only bought a few clothes in high school, because I was not heavily into my looks at the time.
Good, but I had to buy shoes and a winter coat.

Old 10-23-2019, 08:53 PM

1,845 posts, read 1,496,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Good, but I had to buy shoes and a winter coat.
Shoes are so freakin' expensive. Every pair of shoes is like above $25 unless you go to Walmart.

Old 10-23-2019, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by potanta View Post
Shoes are so freakin' expensive. Every pair of shoes is like above $25 unless you go to Walmart.
I buy good shoes. If you treat them well, they last nearly forever. My $90 Merrells are six years years old and still look good. The pair before lasted for 11 years.

These aren't my dancing shoes or going out to dinner shoes, but they're the ones that I wear most of the time.

Buy good shoes. It's cheaper in the long run.

Old 10-24-2019, 07:14 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,152,277 times
Only the NJ forum could turn a thread about traffic accidents into a discussion about shoes...

Old 10-24-2019, 11:49 AM

1,845 posts, read 1,496,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
Only the NJ forum could turn a thread about traffic accidents into a discussion about shoes...
The typical things people say about NJ whenever something bad happens: "It's a Jersey thing!" "Only makes sense when you are from New Jersey!"

Old 10-25-2019, 06:06 AM

585 posts, read 493,248 times
This accident occurred at 2 in the morning so I don't know what the discussion on mass transit has to do with it.

Additionally this accident occurred on the east bound express lanes, there is no exit from the express lanes to Beverwyck.

Old 10-25-2019, 07:34 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,722,651 times
On a weekday peak time, even if you could speed you probably have less than 5mi to do so before hitting a bottleneck such as a toll booth or merges. Most of time you're dealing with bottlenecks that you could only hit 40mph tops. Speeding isn't the cause of most accidents because cars aren't going that fast generally.

You look over at the accidents at the side, it's almost some rear end or rear side quarter getting scraped or rammed. You only see a horrific accident once awhile and usually happens off-peak times.

I just wished the police would routinely pick out left lane hogs which contribute to accidents and bottlenecking on the highways.

Old 10-25-2019, 07:55 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,152,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post

I just wished the police would routinely pick out left lane hogs which contribute to accidents and bottlenecking on the highways.
To some extent they do. I remember one evening I was driving on I-280 and there was some car with GA plates driving 40mph in the left lane. I moved to the center lane to get around it and I looked in my rear view mirror and there was a cop tailing the slow car in the left lane. A few seconds later they pulled him over. But I do agree overall there is too much focus on speeding and not enough focus on the slowpokes.

Old 10-25-2019, 08:14 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,722,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
To some extent they do. I remember one evening I was driving on I-280 and there was some car with GA plates driving 40mph in the left lane. I moved to the center lane to get around it and I looked in my rear view mirror and there was a cop tailing the slow car in the left lane. A few seconds later they pulled him over. But I do agree overall there is too much focus on speeding and not enough focus on the slowpokes.
A lot of folks would argue that what is slow vs fast, I would argue that you should go the speed that allows you to have good spacing on the highway. Where you have 2-3 car distance front and back. If you have a car too close behind you then it could mean you're going too slow.

Not having enough spacing is what contributes to car accidents. When cars needs to change lanes to exit and you are not giving other cars any space to freely move over. The natural thing people do is to either speed up to get around you or slow down and wait for an opening. This waiting for an opening is what causes bottlenecking and accidents when a faster car suddenly shoots up as a car is changing lane without signaling or too slow in the process.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey