Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2019, 11:47 AM

1,845 posts, read 1,493,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
A lot of folks would argue that what is slow vs fast, I would argue that you should go the speed that allows you to have good spacing on the highway. Where you have 2-3 car distance front and back. If you have a car too close behind you then it could mean you're going too slow.

Not having enough spacing is what contributes to car accidents. When cars needs to change lanes to exit and you are not giving other cars any space to freely move over. The natural thing people do is to either speed up to get around you or slow down and wait for an opening. This waiting for an opening is what causes bottlenecking and accidents when a faster car suddenly shoots up as a car is changing lane without signaling or too slow in the process.
Your second paragraph sounds similar to what I am thinking. Every time I am riding behind people that are slowing down due to a red light or something important, there is always an impatient driver behind me who will come up close to me and suddenly change to the next lane (whether signaling or not). That kind of thinking is wrong, because it really does not save any time like they think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2019, 06:13 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,146,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by potanta View Post
Your second paragraph sounds similar to what I am thinking. Every time I am riding behind people that are slowing down due to a red light or something important, there is always an impatient driver behind me who will come up close to me and suddenly change to the next lane (whether signaling or not). That kind of thinking is wrong, because it really does not save any time like they think.
By biggest peeve of all is when I'm approaching a car that is pulling out of another street or driveway. They wait until I approach very close, then peel out of the driveway to cut me off, and then drive really slowly. And of course they could have just waited 10 seconds as they can clearly see there was no one behind me.

Old 10-26-2019, 07:20 AM

19,126 posts, read 25,331,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
By biggest peeve of all is when I'm approaching a car that is pulling out of another street or driveway. They wait until I approach very close, then peel out of the driveway to cut me off, and then drive really slowly. And of course they could have just waited 10 seconds as they can clearly see there was no one behind me.
+1
I am astounded by how many people do that exact thing.

Old 10-27-2019, 08:09 AM

206 posts, read 116,700 times
I like how the thread was derailed after only a couple of responses.

NJ roads are designed horribly. I don't personally know of the ramp OP is talking about but I believe it based on my own experiences driving around in this state.

The fact that NJ drivers just go on about their business while navigating death trap roads is a testament to our skill.

Look at route 22 in Union. It's a pinball machine with cars flying out from both sides to merge in from streets and businesses.

Look at some of those intersections that involve 8 ways to travel. What about the hairpin loops to enter and exit route 18. Oh by the way there are high speed merges as you approach them too.

Thoughtless is the word that comes to mind when thinking about whoever designed these NJ roads.

Old 10-27-2019, 10:42 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slunk View Post

NJ roads are designed horribly. I don't personally know of the ramp OP is talking about but I believe it based on my own experiences driving around in this state.

The fact that NJ drivers just go on about their business while navigating death trap roads is a testament to our skill.

Look at route 22 in Union. It's a pinball machine with cars flying out from both sides to merge in from streets and businesses.

Look at some of those intersections that involve 8 ways to travel. What about the hairpin loops to enter and exit route 18. Oh by the way there are high speed merges as you approach them too.

Thoughtless is the word that comes to mind when thinking about whoever designed these NJ roads.
I think that's a bit of a leap. These roads were likely designed at the time for the conditions and traffic of the time, and probably with some projection as future increases in traffic because that's what traffic engineers DO. However, no one way back when could have anticipated the mess of population density that New Jersey has become.

Old 10-27-2019, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
I noticed that tends to be more of a common problem in NJ's summers. The drivers become more selfish in the summer, but the "spring fever" driving is actually the worst and spring time is when more cops are out. I know I mentioned this in my old post called "The Selfishness of NJ Drivers This Summer".

Old 10-27-2019, 12:28 PM

5,772 posts, read 16,588,795 times
Route 22 and similar are earlier designs and originally before many stores and commercial properties were built adjacent.

Interstate 80 and such were built much later for higher speeds, no commercial or single use driveways nor anything like that allowed, actually designed for transportation of military cross-country, not for bitchin commuters, lol. Most, more than 99% and more have no problems navigating such.

Old 10-27-2019, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slunk View Post

Not all of NJ roads are bad, because Whippany and "Greater Morristown Area (Cedar Knolls)" have the roads we SHOULD have. All of their (excluding residential) roads are two lanes, not too narrow, and all the traffic lights are the way they SHOULD be by having arrows that are programmed for the lefties to go first, then the regular traffic.

I agree about Route 22 although I only drove it once for an interview.

I don't know anything about Route 18, but I feel that I-280 in the Oranges is a little bit too "hairpinish" of a curve.

Old 10-27-2019, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I think that's a bit of a leap. These roads were likely designed at the time for the conditions and traffic of the time, and probably with some projection as future increases in traffic because that's what traffic engineers DO. However, no one way back when could have anticipated the mess of population density that New Jersey has become.
Yeah it's true, I hate all of NJ builds their gas stations, strip malls, and driveways close to intersections and then I feel guilt tripped if I am not leaving a gap for the driver who wants to come through. I also hate when Mr. New Jersey Redneck does not use his turn signal to come out of a place near an intersection.

I live in East Hanover and I feel like we are the only town that has one laned roads in every road (except Route 10) and these types of roads were originally dirt roads made for horses. Then of course most of NJ was rural and had little traffic.

Old 10-27-2019, 02:26 PM

5,772 posts, read 16,588,795 times
Hairpin turns??? This one is a hairpin,,, def not anything on I-280
280 was built as straight as possible without digging a tunnel through the mountain. This is NY 44 and NY55 up in the Catskills
Attached Thumbnails
Is the I-80 Exit 45 ramp the reason why the I-80 crash happened?-ny4455a1.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey