Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2019, 09:02 AM

3,305 posts, read 3,878,738 times

Advertisements

Long Island then, that's the only way you'll get that 90 minute commute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2019, 09:06 AM

9 posts, read 5,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
Here is what you should do. When you leave work in Brooklyn on Monday, get in your car and drive out to Sussex County. Stay overnight in a motel. Then on Tuesday morning get in your car and drive back to Brooklyn. Then you will fully experience the agony of this commute each way.

Not to be sarcastic, but if rural living is important to you then you need to find a new job that is not in Brooklyn. Or at the very least ask them to work from home 3-4 days a week so you don't have to do the commute every day. You're going to spend so much time in your car that you won't even be in your house enough to enjoy it anyway. Or how about getting a studio apartment in Brooklyn for the weekdays and then buying a weekend home in Sussex County.
Definitely going to try this! Better question, because we honestly dont mind 1.5 hr commute one way, but would you suggest any rural-ish suburbs that we should look at? Seeing that Sussex is probably a bit too far. Long Island doesn't fit our likes - really more suburban than anything even an hour plus out into the Island.
We're just really looking for country living type of deal.

Old 10-25-2019, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiGG MiCC View Post
really more suburban than anything even an hour plus out into the Island.
This is exactly what you are going to find in New Jersey. And Westchester. And Connecticut.

Old 10-25-2019, 09:21 AM

88,682 posts, read 85,015,124 times
Quote:
LOOOL! We were thinking at least a 2 acre plot, lots of elbow room between each house. Quiet, secluded, probably a 15-20 minute drive for groceries/stores, maybe.
Hilarious! What you need is a time machine.

I am not sure there is anywhere in the entire state of NJ that has a 15-20 minute drive to a grocery store, not even in rural south Jersey, which would be about a FOUR-hour commute.

Now you CAN find homes on 2-acre lots in places like Upper Saddle River, which requires that as a minimum to build. It enables the wealthy to pretend they are in the country. But it will run you millions.

Old 10-25-2019, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymoney View Post
This is exactly what you are going to find in New Jersey. And Westchester. And Connecticut.
^This. You are in the NYC metropolitan area. People commute to the city from the Poconos in Pennsylvania for God's sake, on the other side of NJ.

Old 10-25-2019, 09:52 AM

3,058 posts, read 3,830,932 times
Quote:
Definitely going to try this! Better question, because we honestly dont mind 1.5 hr commute one way, but would you suggest any rural-ish suburbs that we should look at? Seeing that Sussex is probably a bit too far. Long Island doesn't fit our likes - really more suburban than anything even an hour plus out into the Island.
We're just really looking for country living type of deal.
Your best bet, and probably only chance of being within 90 mins of Brooklyn on Mon-Fri is the Gillette-Long Hill-Sterling area. Possibly New Providence or Berkeley Heights. Its a little pocket of rural-ish area in a completely developed part of NJ. Mostly because the area is hilly (Watchung Mountains) and super wealthy, and the wealthy like to keep the area from getting built out.

Its pretty expensive there, but that is literally your only choice. Take 78 east to the NJ Turnpike south. Take the I-278 exit to the Goethels. Take the SI Expressway to the Verrazano. Boom you're in Brooklyn

Likewise, you can take 78 East to exit 14a, get on 440 south and take the Bayonne bridge into SI and the Verrazano. Both can get you there in 90 mins on all but the worst traffic/snow days. Trust me, I've done it. Also, I-78 moves better than 80.

Old 10-25-2019, 11:37 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,163,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymoney View Post
Long Island then, that's the only way you'll get that 90 minute commute.
"You should move to Long Island"...now there's something you don't hear every day

Old 10-25-2019, 11:37 AM

I feel like I say it every day when someone wants to work in Brooklyn but live in NJ with a 90 minute commute.

Old 10-25-2019, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
Your best bet, and probably only chance of being within 90 mins of Brooklyn on Mon-Fri is the Gillette-Long Hill-Sterling area. Possibly New Providence or Berkeley Heights. Its a little pocket of rural-ish area in a completely developed part of NJ. Mostly because the area is hilly (Watchung Mountains) and super wealthy, and the wealthy like to keep the area from getting built out.

Its pretty expensive there, but that is literally your only choice. Take 78 east to the NJ Turnpike south. Take the I-278 exit to the Goethels. Take the SI Expressway to the Verrazano. Boom you're in Brooklyn

Likewise, you can take 78 East to exit 14a, get on 440 south and take the Bayonne bridge into SI and the Verrazano. Both can get you there in 90 mins on all but the worst traffic/snow days. Trust me, I've done it. Also, I-78 moves better than 80.
The thing you have to make clear is that before "Boom you're in Brooklyn," you are going to sit in stop-and-go, bumper-to-bumper traffic for almost the entire SIE to the Verrazano.

Old 10-25-2019, 01:13 PM

4,035 posts, read 3,661,851 times
Quote:
LOOOL! We were thinking at least a 2 acre plot, lots of elbow room between each house. Quiet, secluded, probably a 15-20 minute drive for groceries/stores, maybe.
I didn’t know inconvenience was something people sought out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey