Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2021, 01:59 PM

3,422 posts, read 1,836,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post

In reality, the project was originally envisioned and planned in 2004 by The Mills Corporation, which was based in Maryland.
After many fits, false starts, and the bankruptcy of Mills Corp, ownership of the property passed to Colony Capital, from Florida.
Colony Capital couldn't see the project through to fruition, and it was bought by Triple Five, of Canada, which--for better or worse--finished construction and has proceeded to open their huge facility... in stages.
Wasn't this originally called Xanadu,

and called for by.. NJians?
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2021, 02:51 PM

3,971 posts, read 4,035,479 times
The surf pool looks neat.

Old 07-04-2021, 07:20 PM

3,771 posts, read 1,522,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_J View Post
I like to avoid the demographic they seem to be catering to.

and which demographic would that be?
when I was there, I saw a lot of hasidic jews and americans of african descent of various ages.

Old 07-05-2021, 09:35 AM

50,717 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrioticSuperman View Post
If there was, I would go! I would love to go shooting. I wonder what set of rules they have...

I also almost got a job at the Food Court there. Likely still could. Though it is an hour and a half by car from me...
That would be an insane drive for a job like that. Heck, it's an insane drive for any job.

Old 07-05-2021, 12:52 PM

387 posts, read 615,534 times
Been there a couple of months back. It was pretty empty or maybe I expected it to be a bit more filled up given the typical scenes at the surviving malls in NJ. Its new and shows. Not many stores were open but again that expected. We confined ourselves to one section of the malls and tried to discover all three levels. Given that there were less people it was a relaxed experience, probably had something to do with the fact that we were able to step out after almost 14/15 months of self inflicted curfew.

All in all one can see they have planned for a lot of activities, shops and entertainment. Yet its also apparent that if the malls takes off (which it could have given the pre-covid crowds at Jersey Garden malls) it would be very very busy. And if it gets truly busy I doubt it would continue to be neat and clean.

I have nothing for malls or against it. With young kids it serves as a good distraction that is a short driving distance away. But I would not miss it if it were to close down. If you look at it from an economic activity then it needs a solid connect with NYC and rest of NJ. Maybe a direct transport from Secaucus dedicates to Mall goers would help (dont know if they already have one).

The idea definitely had potential but then Covid nixed it.

Old 07-05-2021, 01:19 PM

19,116 posts, read 25,309,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollingon View Post

The idea definitely had potential but then Covid nixed it.
And, Covid was the final nail in the coffin for Lord & Taylor, Century 21, and Barney's.
Thus, at least three of the mall's major tenants cannot fill the spaces for which they had contracted. There may well be more retail establishments that won't be taking their place at American Dream as a result of the pandemic, but these are three significant ones with which I am familiar, and--of course--L & T was an anchor store, so that is a major loss for the mall.

Old 07-06-2021, 10:27 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,826,303 times
been there a couple of times... it's expensive, but the mall itself is very nice.

Old 07-06-2021, 08:40 PM

1,837 posts, read 675,589 times
Here's a video of the American Dream Mall history worth watching:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NESqtSQGhhE

Old 07-07-2021, 09:15 AM

387 posts, read 615,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
And, Covid was the final nail in the coffin for Lord & Taylor, Century 21, and Barney's.
Thus, at least three of the mall's major tenants cannot fill the spaces for which they had contracted. There may well be more retail establishments that won't be taking their place at American Dream as a result of the pandemic, but these are three significant ones with which I am familiar, and--of course--L & T was an anchor store, so that is a major loss for the mall.
Possibly a good way to use it would be like an exhibition center and mall rolled into one. That way its used to showcase goods using the 'touch and learn' model. It can be upcoming automobiles, electronics, sports equipment, home gadgets and improvements, fashion, makeup, learning, elderly care, hobbies. Essentially unpacking what's the latest and greatest that is unfolding in rest of the world. These days every store does these activities as per their merchandise upfront and then goods are stacked at the back. But that means families or consumers huddling into corners of a store at a time.
For retail to succeed in the brick and mortar format it might have to embrace the theme park model. People see and try what they like and then either buy it by going to the higher level where the shops are or online. The mall definitely has open space and thus the emphasis should be on a relaxed experience rather than a rushed one typical of box retail stores. Another thing that happens with box stores is if a particular label does not resonate with a buyer they are least likely to give it a look. On the other hand if one is interested in a theme there is a great chance for new brands to be discovered.

Sorry had too much time on hand today to talk about retail

Old 07-07-2021, 09:02 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,925,121 times
Perhaps if they an entire wing they cant fill with tenants, they ought to tear down the walls, and use as a convention center.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey