Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2022, 07:39 AM

10,499 posts, read 7,026,221 times

Advertisements

The term village is used by foreigners where people literally live in a village, not a term Americans use or have.

OP, living in NJ will require a car anywhere you live. Public transportation only exists to transport commuters into Penn Station.

Downtowns in NJ arent self sufficient place to live and usually setup for someone to do a weekend stroll. Most contain a couple restaurants/bars, ice cream shop, boutique shops, banks and random insurance retail outlets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2022, 07:51 AM

6,203 posts, read 3,552,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I wondered, too, but your alternate spelling is not going to help someone from Brooklyn who doesn't know what you mean.

It is Ridgewood, OP. Adjacent to Glen Rock, same train and bus line.

But, as always, my vote would be Red Bank.

Eta: I see OP looked at Ridgewood.

And wondering if by Hudson County the OP meant the Hudson Valley in New York state.
Yup that's what I thought too. Too hilly for me, though, not to mention expensive.

Old 03-16-2022, 09:01 AM

88,630 posts, read 84,895,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
The term village is used by foreigners where people literally live in a village, not a term Americans use or have.

OP, living in NJ will require a car anywhere you live. Public transportation only exists to transport commuters into Penn Station.

Downtowns in NJ arent self sufficient place to live and usually setup for someone to do a weekend stroll. Most contain a couple restaurants/bars, ice cream shop, boutique shops, banks and random insurance retail outlets.
This is not true. It is not helpful to say such stupid things to people who are looking to move to an area with which they are not familiar, so please stop with the damn negativity and your feeble attempts to mislead new posters.

There are local buses running between towns in many parts of the state, although they don't serve every area. For example, when I didn't have a car and lived in Bergen County, I used to use the bus line that runs from Oakland to Hackensack to go shopping in Ridgewood from Midland Park or to get to and from the train station.

In Red Bank, which has one of the best walkable downtowns in New Jersey, there are several local buses that can take you to Long Branch, which has beaches and Pier Village and its own walkable sections, such a Brighton Avenue, as well as taxi service, or the Monmouth Mall or Freehold and other destinations. It does have a train to the city, as well as a couple of local taxi services, or you can take the train to shore points farther south.

Rather than try to figure out what lines you would use on the NJTransit website, here's a Wiki article that gives you a snapshot under "Routes".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NJ_Transit_Bus_Operations

Old 03-16-2022, 09:08 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,609,994 times
Quote:
This is not true. It is not helpful to say such stupid things to people who are looking to move to an area with which they are not familiar, so please stop with the damn negativity and your feeble attempts to mislead new posters.

There are local buses running between towns in many parts of the state, although they don't serve every area. For example, when I didn't have a car and lived in Bergen County, I used to use the bus line that runs from Oakland to Hackensack to go shopping in Ridgewood from Midland Park or to get to and from the train station.
]
Many moons ago (went to HS in ridgewood), before we had cars/drivers licenses, we used to take the bus from downtown ridgewood to GSP. Of course, there were payphones then too...

Old 03-16-2022, 09:25 AM

88,630 posts, read 84,895,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
Many moons ago (went to HS in ridgewood), before we had cars/drivers licenses, we used to take the bus from downtown ridgewood to GSP. Of course, there were payphones then too...
We used to take that same bus from Midland Park to the GSP (Garden State Plaza mall, for those not in the Bergen area.) It was 45 cents when I was 13.

Years later I moved back to Midland Park to raise my daughter. When she got to be about Mall Age, she and her friends were always looking for a ride. There were always about four or five of them hanging out together. They had all the instructions about staying together and not going places with strangers, of course, and they all had phones by then. I suggested that they take the bus the way we used to and got her the schedule.

She came back to me a few days later and said that except for one girl, the other mothers were horrified at the idea of their precious delicate little flowers taking public transportation. The one whose mother was fine with it was from Germany. I couldn't believe it. You'd think a parent would WANT their child to learn to use public transportation as a basic life skill.

Old 03-16-2022, 10:06 AM

4,287 posts, read 10,774,637 times
These days with work from home, internet shopping and services like Uber, it’s not too difficult to get by without a car, especially if you live in a “downtown” area of a town like Ridgewood.

Old 03-16-2022, 10:13 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,089,197 times
Upper Montclair...hidden gem. All you need. Easy train or bus to NYC.

Old 03-16-2022, 10:18 AM

19,139 posts, read 25,356,008 times
Quote:

In Red Bank, which has one of the best walkable downtowns in New Jersey, there are several local buses that can take you to Long Branch, which has beaches and Pier Village and its own walkable sections, such a Brighton Avenue, as well as taxi service, or the Monmouth Mall or Freehold and other destinations. It does have a train to the city, as well as a couple of local taxi services, or you can take the train to shore points farther south.

+1
Obviously, "he" thinks that the folks who take NJ Transit buses to get to and from various shopping malls, beaches, train stations, and other facilities must be imagining that they are riding on a bus. Why does he attempt--so often--to mislead newcomers?

Old 03-16-2022, 10:19 AM

215 posts, read 200,909 times
i think you're talking about ridgewood, new jersey, which is a spectacular 'burb, as long as you're not driving around in its traffic.

Old 03-16-2022, 10:21 AM

215 posts, read 200,909 times
an extension of the upper west side and/or park slope, indeed. a carbon copy of maplewood, new jersey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey