Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2022, 09:51 AM

10,580 posts, read 7,111,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Doesn't NJ have debt and unfunded pension obligations this money could go to? Giving it back would be second to that. Additional programs of any sort would be a very distant last, but that's probably what we'll get.
Paying off debts should be priority, followed by returning the money. It would be great if they took down the parkway tolls for a few years.

Pet projects will win out, just like Murphy hand picking Journalist scholarships. For those who dont remember, Murphy allocated our tax money and created a grants committee in which he has a seat. The committee hands outs journalist scholarships of which he and his hand selected board chooses. Originally the money allocated for these journalist scholarships was more than the estimated payroll of journalists in the entire tri-state, after covid happened the budget was significantly pulled back but exists (expanded again?). It goes into question why, we the tax payers are so concerned about journalist scholarships, and why is the Governor hand picking who can have one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2022, 10:41 AM

88,772 posts, read 85,174,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
Its stated in the article I posted, Republicans have created "give it back" proposals giving each NJ family $1,500 immediately. Ed Durr (R) is calling out the Democrats, who are breaking Senate rules to not even have this conversation about returning back the money on proposals so that they can hold the money for their own personal pet projects.

If you want to keep politicians honest, you need to report on the news. The MEDIA has failed us, the media is monopolized, controlled with one voice given out to the different outlets. Unfortunately I have to make posts here, absurd anyone would be like you're being biased when its just the news being presented.
I just don't trust what you've posted, simply because your source is not an objective site, but a plainly partisan one.

What you posted might be correct, but we have no way of knowing because it's from a purely Republican site, and I don't know that it's any more trustworthy than would be one put out by the Democratic party to promote THEIR interests.

One thing we know beyond a shadow of a doubt: Both sides lie.

Old 05-31-2022, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Doesn't NJ have debt and unfunded pension obligations this money could go to? Giving it back would be second to that. Additional programs of any sort would be a very distant last, but that's probably what we'll get.
I would think the no-brainer would be that it goes to the unfunded pensions.

I never get anything from the state, no rebates, no nothing, and they taxed the crap out of my NY pension until I turned 62, and even then they still tax part of it, so I don't have any hopes up no matter which shmoe is promising what.

I never vote a straight party ticket even though I am registered as a Democrat, and I used to like Chris Smith because he stood up for veterans' rights and I am the daughter of a disabled WWII veteran. He helped a couple of people I know with things like property tax and SS issues. But when I wrote to his office asking for help for something a couple of years ago, I got no response for months. When I did, it was a person on his staff who called and left a message with me six months later, after the issue had been resolved by other means. I called her back at the number she'd left to let me know, and the woman on his staff was absolutely nasty and rude to me, telling me that THIS was her personal number and THIS was her day off. Well then why the f did you leave me that number to call you back on.

The truth of the matter is that I've no doubt whatsoever that Smith's policy is to look and see how a constituent is registered, and when the staff saw I was under "D", I went to the bottom of the pile. And so the dumb jackass lost my vote when he had it previously.

This is why I hate our two-party system and the division it causes.

Old 05-31-2022, 11:49 AM

1,063 posts, read 554,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I would think the no-brainer would be that it goes to the unfunded pensions.

I never get anything from the state, no rebates, no nothing, and they taxed the crap out of my NY pension until I turned 62, and even then they still tax part of it, so I don't have any hopes up no matter which shmoe is promising what.

I never vote a straight party ticket even though I am registered as a Democrat, and I used to like Chris Smith because he stood up for veterans' rights and I am the daughter of a disabled WWII veteran. He helped a couple of people I know with things like property tax and SS issues. But when I wrote to his office asking for help for something a couple of years ago, I got no response for months. When I did, it was a person on his staff who called and left a message with me six months later, after the issue had been resolved by other means. I called her back at the number she'd left to let me know, and the woman on his staff was absolutely nasty and rude to me, telling me that THIS was her personal number and THIS was her day off. Well then why the f did you leave me that number to call you back on.

The truth of the matter is that I've no doubt whatsoever that Smith's policy is to look and see how a constituent is registered, and when the staff saw I was under "D", I went to the bottom of the pile. And so the dumb jackass lost my vote when he had it previously.

This is why I hate our two-party system and the division it causes.
Why didn't you go with no party?

Old 05-31-2022, 12:07 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,765,045 times
Quote:
We absolutely should put the lion’s share in as reducing the debt and pension shortfalls. There can be a secondary amount in givebacks, but reducing our debt will continue to help the state’s credit rating improve, which is a big deal in the long run view.

I would rather see the “givebacks†come in the form of, rather than giving people checks, using it to help rein in property taxes. The better we control that, the more attractive NJ looks to prospective future residents, and so, it will bolster future growth.

Old 05-31-2022, 03:09 PM

962 posts, read 543,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
8 billion dollars of the NJ taxpayers money has been stolen. Its plain and simple. You work from January 1st until May 5th for free, to live in this state. Spin it any way you want to, stealing is stealing.

With $3,000 that I overpaid, I would invest in the upkeep of my home, employing local workers to repair and improve my house. Those workers would pay tax and the cycle continues and more families could be successful in NJ. Its really not that complicated.
You misunderstand how this works. New Jersey estimated how much in taxes it would receive, and it turns out NJ collected way more than estimated. It's not because NJ accidentally "stole" your tax dollars; it's because people in NJ made more money last year than the state anticipated.

I posted about this a few days ago, but I guess it has to be reposted with the right-wing slant. I for one would not give tax credits to people. Tax credits would increase inflation, and would be fiscally irresponsible. We underestimated taxes this year. What are the odds, especially if we enter a recession, that we will OVERestimate taxes this year?

Old 05-31-2022, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dehumidifier View Post
Why didn't you go with no party?
I should have changed it after to independent, but a few years back we needed to get a moron who happened to be our Republican mayor out, so I registered Democrat to vote in the primary and get the ball rolling to get our old mayor back in.

And we did.

Lol, there was a heated discussion at a town meeting. The dopey mayor suddenly grabbed his gavel, slammed it on the desk, and yelled ADJOINED!

The lawyer looked at him and said, "You can't do that!"

Old 06-15-2022, 05:19 PM

So...now that Murphy has actually proposed to give some of the surplus money back to taxpayers, which is what you anti-Murphy people here complained he should be doing, you are turning around and saying it's a bad idea. OK. Obviously, it wouldn't matter if he showed up on your doorstep handed you the cash himself, it would be wrong...just because he is Phil Murphy and the anti-Murphy sentiment must be preserved at all costs.

This way of thinking is just too weird for me.

https://www.njherald.com/

Old 06-15-2022, 06:12 PM

19,170 posts, read 25,432,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
So...now that Murphy has actually proposed to give some of the surplus money back to taxpayers, which is what you anti-Murphy people here complained he should be doing, you are turning around and saying it's a bad idea. OK. Obviously, it wouldn't matter if he showed up on your doorstep handed you the cash himself, it would be wrong...just because he is Phil Murphy and the anti-Murphy sentiment must be preserved at all costs.

This way of thinking is just too weird for me.

https://www.njherald.com/
Do you remember that old joke about the little old ladies who complained that their hotel had really bad food... and that the portions were too small? The constant malcontents in this thread use the same "logic".

Old 06-15-2022, 08:56 PM

20,908 posts, read 9,615,239 times
People, including the OP, aren't paying attention to the news. This isn't just happening in NJ, it's happening in all states, red or blue. I recently started a thread on the phenomenon in blood-red Missouri:

In Missouri, large budget surplus is turning state run by republicans into something even progressives like
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey