Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2022, 07:50 AM

10,461 posts, read 6,982,705 times

Advertisements

As the state of NJ collected ~$3,000 in extra taxes per family this year, Democrat politicians want to spend the money on pet projects rather than return the money back to the taxpayer to provide inflation and gas relief.

https://share.newsbreak.com/16ge1bd2

TRENTON, NJ – During a session of the New Jersey Senate today, Democrats violated the rules of the Senate to improperly block a vote on legislation that would provide an immediate $500 rebate to most New Jersey families.

“It’s unbelievable that Democrats would violate the rules of the Senate to prevent New Jersey families from getting a $500 rebate to help offset the impact of soaring gas prices and inflation,” said Senator Ed Durr (R-3). “They just demonstrated clearly that they’d rather divvy up billions of dollars of tax overcollections in a back room for pet projects than help struggling families. Why are Democrats so afraid of giving real tax relief to New Jerseyans? ”

During today’s session, Durr made remarks, included below, explaining the need for the Senate to advance S-2290, the “Gas Price and Inflation Tax Credit Act.”

He concluded his remarks by making a motion to relieve the bill from committee, where it has been ignored by the Democratic majority, for consideration by the full Senate.

Rather than allow the full Senate to vote on Durr’s motion, as Senate rules require, the Senate President summarily denied and dismissed the motion without a vote in a manner that is wholly inconsistent with the rules and tradition of the New Jersey Senate.

“Senate Democrats just showed their absolute cowardice by breaking the rules to avoid voting against $500 of tax relief for New Jersey families as their party bosses would have demanded,” added Durr. “While Republicans are fighting for billions of tax relief for New Jersey families, Democrats are trying to figure out how to give that money to their political cronies. It’s absolutely sickening.”

During today’s session, Durr made remarks, included below, explaining the need for the Senate to advance S-2290, the “Gas Price and Inflation Tax Credit Act"

He concluded his remarks by making a motion to relieve the bill from committee, where it has been ignored by the Democratic majority, for consideration by the full Senate.

Rather than allow the full Senate to vote on Durr’s motion, as Senate rules require, the Senate President summarily denied and dismissed the motion without a vote in a manner that is wholly inconsistent with the rules and tradition of the New Jersey Senate.

“Senate Democrats just showed their absolute cowardice by breaking the rules to avoid voting against $500 of tax relief for New Jersey families as their party bosses would have demanded,” added Durr. “While Republicans are fighting for billions of tax relief for New Jersey families, Democrats are trying to figure out how to give that money to their political cronies. It’s absolutely sickening.”

Included below are Durr’s full remarks as prepared for delivery to the Senate:

Mr. President, New Jersey families are struggling today.

Gas prices are the highest they’ve ever been, and inflation is increasing the cost of groceries and other goods and services at the fastest pace in a generation.

And while all of that is happening, the State of New Jersey has made the problem worse by collecting billions of dollars more from taxpayers than we expected or need to fund our budget.

Senate Republicans have proposed a pair of “Give It Back” rebates that would return $4.5 billion of the $8 billion of tax overcollections to New Jersey families immediately.

In total, our proposals would return $1,500 back to most New Jersey families.

Today, I’m proposing that we move forward one of the “Give It Back” bills that I sponsor, the “Gas Price and Inflation Tax Credit Act.”

My bill would return $1.5 billion to New Jerseyans through immediate $500 rebates to families.

There’s absolutely no reason anyone in this chamber should oppose this proposal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2022, 07:07 PM

88,560 posts, read 84,755,078 times
I am starting to think you get paid for posting this stuff.

Old 05-29-2022, 07:39 PM

3,422 posts, read 1,839,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
One of the reasons I'm less active/virtually inactive on this forum is because I agree with pretty much everything one would call the "Extreme Right." I dislike Democratic policies, except for the Federal Interstate Highway System this is one thing I will outright say was good........... Anything else, NO, I am probably what one would call an Extreme MAGA or whatever else Resident Biden is trying to turn into an attack these days. He sucks. Everyone knows it. Everyone. We think the majority have been hood-winked and that people didn't vote for this... even if you did.............. Anyways. Onward.

When we get extreme posts, or "low on facts" some may say, it makes me real mad because the other side only has different sources for low information. If you're going that route. The one side accuses the other of what they are doing, doesn't it always seem to go that way? Anyways, if it is on mainstream television, including anything on Fox except for Tucker, yes Fox took a turn.. it's fake news...

I'm real happy living life without COVID stuff right now, watch it flare up at election time for drop boxes (people think we are idiots. They really do.)

I actually DID move and I think I can pull off a dual residency.

But, just being put into an endless argument with what people can see is right in front of their face...... So, I faded away late last year, realize I have nothing to fear, and here I am.

I hope my insight is helpful.

And.. if DannyHobkins gets paid to post.. then I wonder what else people could be paid to do.. rhymes with "fuel"... hmmm.

Okay cool. Happy weekend. And HI MQ801! I'm in "That area" and I make deliveries now, I wish I could save more on gas and I can't just buy a smaller or electric car because it just doesn't work that way, I presently have what I have.. And how are you?

Old 05-29-2022, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Just everything is very concerning in our state government. The monopolized state media doesnt report on anything, if we start reporting truths, there will be change that will benefit the people of the state. So many blind and sheepish people in the state are so uninformed on what is happening.

Old 05-29-2022, 10:30 PM

88,560 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
Just everything is very concerning in our state government. The monopolized state media doesnt report on anything, if we start reporting truths, there will be change that will benefit the people of the state. So many blind and sheepish people in the state are so uninformed on what is happening.
No one is going to listen to you if you constantly insult them as you just did here. It sounds like the people on the P&OC forum always always always striving to keep up the division and bipartisanship and making assumptions and/or assigning characteristics to others that might not be true.

I'm a registered Democrat. I used to be a registered Republican. My switch had to do with local circumstance and it doesn't mean I'm all the things you leap to assume about me when you read that first sentence. And yet, you strive to maintain that division in your posts, never seeing shades of grey. That's why I wonder if you are paid. There seem to be no original thoughts in your post, just the canned talking points put out by extreme Republicans.

People will turn away from such extremism no matter which side it comes from because they know that's what is said is likely not true, and then if there IS some truth in what's told, it gets lost in the bull.

I like to stay in reality land.

If a Republican governor was faced with the same decisions to make as Murphy in those early, terrible COVID days, he would likely have done exactly the same thing, and if those decisions were later to be determined to have been completely wrong and had caused more deaths, the Republican party would be making the exact same effort to downplay the errors as the Democrats are. THEY ARE POLITICIANS, all of them, two sides of the same coin, their only goal and reasons for existing to a) get elected, an b) once they are, keep their jobs.

No Republican politician would have gone before a camera and said "I made a terrible mistake" about the nursing home deaths. That is simply not within the makeup of a politicians to allow themselves to admit that. No Democrat would either, and yet you expect it of the party to which you don't belong but not the one you hold in esteem.

By the same token, you complain in this case that the Democrats are not giving this surplus of money or whatever it is back to the people. Of course not. Neither in a million years would the Republicans have.

In short, remember that NO POLITICIAN is EVER out for the best interests of the people. They are out for the best interests of themselves. Always.

Old 05-30-2022, 06:01 AM

19,122 posts, read 25,323,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrioticSuperman View Post
I dislike Democratic policies, except for the Federal Interstate Highway System this is one thing I will outright say was good. Biden is trying to turn into an attack these days. He sucks. Everyone knows it. Everyone.
So, Dwight Eisenhower was a Democrat?
Who knew?

(Hint: Next time you're on an Interstate Highway, be on the lookout for the signs stating Eisenhower Interstate Highway System. There aren't a lot of those signs, but if you are very observant you might notice them.)

Additionally, whenever someone says or posts statements such as "Everyone knows it", it simply exposes that person's extreme bias, or--in this particular case--ignorance of 20th Century history. Assuming that "everyone knows" something is presumptuous and is beyond ridiculous.

Old 05-30-2022, 01:53 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,460,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
So, Dwight Eisenhower was a Democrat?
Who knew?
Not that I’m looking to give fuel to Danny’s posts, but Eisenhower would likely be considered a crazy lib-er-ale today, even by today’s modern (Clinton onward) Democrats.

As far as this “windfall”, here’s what’s gonna happen, regardless of the party in charge…

Let’s just key this windfall into the computers here…

…and it’s gone...

POOF!

Old 05-31-2022, 07:34 AM

3,058 posts, read 3,823,340 times
8 billion dollars of the NJ taxpayers money has been stolen. Its plain and simple. You work from January 1st until May 5th for free, to live in this state. Spin it any way you want to, stealing is stealing.

With $3,000 that I overpaid, I would invest in the upkeep of my home, employing local workers to repair and improve my house. Those workers would pay tax and the cycle continues and more families could be successful in NJ. Its really not that complicated.

Old 05-31-2022, 08:27 AM

Quote:

By the same token, you complain in this case that the Democrats are not giving this surplus of money or whatever it is back to the people. Of course not. Neither in a million years would the Republicans have.

In short, remember that NO POLITICIAN is EVER out for the best interests of the people. They are out for the best interests of themselves. Always.
Its stated in the article I posted, Republicans have created "give it back" proposals giving each NJ family $1,500 immediately. Ed Durr (R) is calling out the Democrats, who are breaking Senate rules to not even have this conversation about returning back the money on proposals so that they can hold the money for their own personal pet projects.

If you want to keep politicians honest, you need to report on the news. The MEDIA has failed us, the media is monopolized, controlled with one voice given out to the different outlets. Unfortunately I have to make posts here, absurd anyone would be like you're being biased when its just the news being presented.

Old 05-31-2022, 09:38 AM

10,222 posts, read 19,208,157 times
Doesn't NJ have debt and unfunded pension obligations this money could go to? Giving it back would be second to that. Additional programs of any sort would be a very distant last, but that's probably what we'll get.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey