Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2022, 01:59 PM

19,071 posts, read 14,006,551 times

Advertisements

I’m on my way back from a work trip to Rochester. There and back in one day. Charging time is gonna be about 1:30. $60 give or take. Self-driving most of the way. No brainer. I will never go back.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2022, 10:10 AM

1,158 posts, read 868,565 times
My concern is if too many people get EVs, it will cause much much higher electricity demand and we have to remember the basic economic principle that when demand increases, so will the prices. In the end, its just another thing that will cost us more money long term. I also heard that it will cost about $14K to replace its battery. Not sure if thats BS or not, just a convo I overheard. Lastly, I'd imagine they won't hold that great of a charge in freezing cold weather in the winter.

Old 07-30-2022, 10:16 AM

So yesterday’s roadtrip was a repeat of one I took in February. I made it from home to the exact same supercharger in Binghampton, both times, without issue. Temp does not affect new EV’e as much as it used to.

Now granted I get that there are tradeoffs, but I deem them worthwhile. I just filled my wife’s car and jetski. My first time pumping gas in months. It was like a sledgehammer hit me. Two months of driving 1500 miles on average in my Tesla costs me about as much as filling both just did.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 07-30-2022, 10:31 AM

1,471 posts, read 3,467,186 times
The problem is you can’t get anything but a tiny meep meep EV for $50,000, so this incentive is worthless for a lot of people. The limit, honestly, needs to be at least $75,000 or, more realistically, $100,000.

I’m all for EVs, but the costs have to get under control. When true, nicely equipped mid-size EVs (at least Accord/Camry sized and featured) break $50,000, maybe we’ll be on our way. Until then, it’s just wishful thinking that people are going to upgrade en masse.

Old 07-30-2022, 11:32 AM

1,158 posts, read 868,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhelder View Post
The problem is you can’t get anything but a tiny meep meep EV for $50,000, so this incentive is worthless for a lot of people. The limit, honestly, needs to be at least $75,000 or, more realistically, $100,000.

I’m all for EVs, but the costs have to get under control. When true, nicely equipped mid-size EVs (at least Accord/Camry sized and featured) break $50,000, maybe we’ll be on our way. Until then, it’s just wishful thinking that people are going to upgrade en masse.
Yup, I sure as hell cannot affford one. I cannot even afford a regular car anymore. I only use mass transit currently.

Old 07-31-2022, 06:02 AM

16,912 posts, read 10,613,577 times
I can't even look at an EV right now. No dealer near me has any. They say people are basically ordering them and they never even have any to look at or test drive. I'd feel uneasy about spending so much on a car without even test driving it.
Moderators for US and World Forums

Old 07-31-2022, 06:41 AM

23,593 posts, read 17,275,145 times
The government obsession with EVs is as shortsighted as a kid who wants his dad to buy him a pony. All the kid sees is the pony. Not thinking of the care it needs, where to keep it, how much feed and cost vet bills and farrier.

A deeper view of an EV reveals the environmental damage in production, maintenance and rationed energy. Our enemy, China, benefits the most. Our Environment suffers in the mining and recycling phases.

EVs are a niche vehicle much like a two seater sportscar or a 3/4 ton 4wd pickup. Fine as a niche vehicle.

When the government starts to push these vehicles on the market as if it were the manufacturer, it pretty much eliminates any viable competition. All the eggs go in one basket.

EVs can be hacked, pin and cc numbers stolen, a portal to shutting down segments of the electric grid. Hackers can overcharge your battery, shut you in or out of your EV.

It was noted the amount...and cost.... of electricity to charge an EV vs the cost to run AC. Sobering to see how much energy an EV requires. We are cautioned to not run our AC on high, act miserly with household electricity use and now feel free to feed the electricity hog EV.

Most E comes from Coal. Sixty-five percent of power plants to produce E are powered by burning coal, natural gas, or oil, not windmills. Blackouts are common in places like CA and predicted for the mid west states. EVs get us quicker to blackouts and brownouts.

Rare earth mining takes place in China using primitive mining practices which damage the environment.
Lithium (China, Chile, Argentina), cobalt (Congo), vanadium (China, Russia), and manganese (South Africa, China, Russia). Poisons the water in places water is a scare commodity and critical to life.

China owns mines all over the world and leads in production of lithium, used to be the US was main producer but the US regs crushed that industry and found it best to destroy the environment elsewhere. So much for GLOBAL warming and the EPA.

when you drive your EV you are supporting countries where human rights are violated, the environment damaged. Enjoy your pretty pony!

All the bluster about not allowing chickfila to sell at a turnpike rest area because of perceived prejudice against lgbtq and no problem driving an EV.

Old 07-31-2022, 07:44 AM

Whew. It’s been a long while since I’ve seen that much false info packed into one post, and that’s saying a lot considering the bent of the auto forum here. It’s usually spread out over a bunch. I implore those who still believe such nonsense to use simple google searches, because the truth to most points raised above takes 4 seconds to uncover.

Over 60% coal? Way false, like by 39%. Further, if the environment was your concern when buying on (not even on my list of reasons lol), the pipeline of electricity from production to an EV expending it is far more efficient than the same for gas cars. Again, not even close and all the information you’d ever need is easy to find.

I hate saying this, but it’s quickly obvious whose EV info is being force fed by certain media outlets and whose is not.

Old 07-31-2022, 07:56 AM

20,168 posts, read 9,073,720 times
most people can't afford a $50k vehicle. Like cancelling student loans, this subsidy program is directed to those who are doing well or have the opportunity to.

Old 07-31-2022, 08:04 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,514,081 times
recently one car maker is asking owners of its EV,cant recall the model,not to park too close to any building?
if you want to save money,you should charge y our EV at night,but who is watching if there is a fire?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey