Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2022, 06:01 PM

16,912 posts, read 10,614,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
If the minimalist interior of Teslas isn’t your thing, look at Polestar. If you’re in the $60k range for a gas car, there’s no real price differential with equivalent EV’s except for the Tesla interior which some complain about (I love it).
Do all Teslas have autodrive? Do you trust it?
Moderators for US and World Forums
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2022, 07:27 PM

19,072 posts, read 14,010,044 times
No, it’s an add on. I use it constantly. I absolutely love it!

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 08-01-2022, 08:00 PM

2,257 posts, read 5,194,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
I wouldn’t say it’s a point of contention. It’s a thread about EV’s, so we’re discussing EV’s.

I was always under the assumption that their high cost was made up by savings in fuel and tax incentives. But the math isn’t adding up. If I’m spending 60k or more on a car I’m getting a luxury gas car at this point. Maybe your prediction about the future of EV will come to fruition but I think it’s a bit optimistic.
The contention comment wasn't directed to you personally; just amazed at the amount of misinformation quoted on this thread and the backlash against EVs.

EVs won't be cost effective for a long time, if we are comparing apples to apples i.e. equally priced cars. Remember the first lot of folks who bought an overpriced iPhone in 2007 did not buy it because it was cheaper than the competition; it was far more expensive, but did things that no other phone could. The premium one pays for an EV is for the superior technology, and for carbon reduction. A majority of folks who buy EVs also get solar installed, which brings down the cost of ownership in the long run. Or vice versa, as more folks get solar, they would consider EV as an alternative. Some state are already enforcing solar for new house permits. So we will get there, gradually.

Old 08-02-2022, 05:42 AM

They’re absolutely cost effective, especially with the new rebates, and especially in NJ with no sales tax. The problem is when people “compare” them to non-equivalent vehicles.

My car is not a base model Camry and I’m not in the market for cars in that category. The Model 3 Performance is a BMW killer that holds 5 passengers, has a front and rear trunk, is as fast off the line as a Corvette C8 and can tow moderate loads. Compare them to the proper cars and they are MORE cost effective.

The Leaf and various Bolts on the lower end are CHEAPER than their equivalent ICE cars.

Even the highest end, take the Model S Plaid. It’s faster than $300,000+ cars but costs less than half that at $125,000 and can be used as a daily family car unlike those Lambos and Ferraris it competes against.

Rivian? $80k. But so is a fully equipped top model F-150 or Silverado.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 08-02-2022, 05:58 AM

1,158 posts, read 868,565 times
Quote:
They’re absolutely cost effective, especially with the new rebates, and especially in NJ with no sales tax. The problem is when people “compare” them to non-equivalent vehicles.

My car is not a base model Camry and I’m not in the market for cars in that category. The Model 3 Performance is a BMW killer that holds 5 passengers, has a front and rear trunk, is as fast off the line as a Corvette C8 and can tow moderate loads. Compare them to the proper cars and they are MORE cost effective.

The Leaf and various Bolts on the lower end are CHEAPER than their equivalent ICE cars.

Even the highest end, take the Model S Plaid. It’s faster than $300,000+ cars but costs less than half that at $125,000 and can be used as a daily family car unlike those Lambos and Ferraris it competes against.

Rivian? $80k. But so is a fully equipped top model F-150 or Silverado.

LMAO, when it costs between $10K - $15K just to simply replace the battery in an EV, they are absolutely NOT cost effective. Furthermore, the more people who own these cars, will increase demand for electricity hence cause electric bills to increase for EVERYONE! God forbid we have another storm like Sandy, good luck charging your car.

Old 08-02-2022, 05:59 AM

https://www.autoweek.com/news/a38658...atteries-cost/

Old 08-02-2022, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njrebel1978 View Post
LMAO, when it costs between $10K - $15K just to simply replace the battery in an EV, they are absolutely NOT cost effective. Furthermore, the more people who own these cars, will increase demand for electricity hence cause electric bills to increase for EVERYONE! God forbid we have another storm like Sandy, good luck charging your car.
Funny you mention Sandy. I had electricity the morning after. As a cop back then, I had to work 2 weeks straight of 12 hours tours. I could not get gas anywhere until the police department finally let us use the job’s pumps. I wish I had my Tesla back then. The anxiety was through the roof not being able to get gas.

Gotcha: Failed.

Now onto the battery trope. They’re warrantied for 8-10 years depending on the car manufacturer. And now that we have older EV’s on the road, we know that they actually last on average much longer than the warranty with little degradation. The example used as “haha moments” are first-gen batteries that were rushed to market to highlight new technology. We’re well past that stage. Get with the program.

As to electrical demand: I refer you to the automotive forum where much brighter minds than mine have discussed that issue ad nauseam. You should be happy you live in NJ in this instance. We enjoy one of the stronger grids in the nation with below average kwh costs.

Rather than focusing on “gotcha” zingers pushed by gas companies, learn something. Like the fact that power plants produce wasted energy at night because they can’t just shut off. EV’s take advantage of that production cycle by charging cheaply overnight while their owners sleep.

Last edited by Airborneguy; 08-02-2022 at 06:25 AM..

Old 08-02-2022, 06:19 AM

All I ever ask is that people approach this situation INTELLIGENTLY. It’s sad to see clear indoctrination on something that should not be political. Most people fall into clear use cases for even cheap, low range EV’s but will rant about needing 500+ miles and 10,000 towing capacity.

As I always say though: the longer gas addicts stick around, the longer I don’t have to pay road taxes. I guess I shouldn’t complain about all the false information.

Old 08-02-2022, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Funny you mention Sandy. I had electricity the morning after. As a cop back then, I had to work 2 weeks straight of 12 hours tours. I could not get gas anywhere until the police department finally let us use the job’s pumps. I wish I had my Tesla back then. The anxiety was through the roof not being able to get gas.

Gotcha: Failed.

Now onto the battery trope. They’re warrantied for 8-10 years depending on the car manufacturer. And now that we have older EV’s on the road, we know that they actually last on average much longer than the warranty with little degradation. The example used as “haha moments” are first-gen batteries that were rushed to market to highlight new technology. We’re well past that stage. Get with the program.

As to electrical demand: I refer you to the automotive forum where much brighter minds than mine have discussed that issue ad nauseam. You should be happy you live in NJ in this instance. We enjoy one of the stronger grids in the nation with below average kwh costs.

Rather than focusing on “gotcha” zingers pushed by gas companies, learn something. Like the fact that power plants produce wasted energy at night because they can’t just shut off. EV’s take advantage of that production cycle by charging cheaply overnight while their owners sleep.
Regarding Sandy, most of the state took at least 2 weeks to get power back, some areas even longer. I am not sure I even believe you had electricity the morning after, but lucky you if even true. Yes, it was very hard to get gas after that storm, but not impossible at gas stations using emergency generators which took less than 2 minutes to fill gas tanks for EACH car compared to taking 12-24 HOURS to fully charge ONE Tesla.

As for the normal gasoline car battery, they last 3-4 years and only cost about $100 - $120 to replace. An intelligent person with any math skills knows this is still MUCH cheaper and cost effective than replacing a Tesla battery after 12 years for $14K or more. The difference in price is HUGE! Therefore YOU are the one not approaching this intelligently by calling this "cost effective"

GOTCHA- failed!

Lastly, NJ grid system is a joke! If the state's grid system was so great, then explain why many parts of the state lose electricity EVERY time there are bad thunderstorms.

One final news flash, MOST folks in NJ cannot even afford a $40K car now, let alone a $80K - $120K EV. But good for you if you personally find that affordable. As for me, and surely for many others, it is simply NOT cost effective.

Old 08-02-2022, 06:57 AM

Man you’re pretty hyped up for something that doesn’t even affect you. Did big bad biden try to force you to buy one? Lol

You’re comparing the 12v battery to an integral part of the drivetrain. Dude, just stop lol. You clearly know little about EV’s. Best tact? Just ignore them. Why do we always have to teach ignorant people this simple lesson? If you uninterested in learning about a technology, don’t speak on it. What’s next? My entire suspension vs your front right tire?

Most of NJ lost power for two weeks huh? Might want to check that one. Sandy only affected the shore and a little bit inland.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey