Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2023, 06:10 PM

4,035 posts, read 3,656,230 times

Advertisements

This guy is really talking about living in the wild and growing food… while homeless. How many homeless farmers do you know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2023, 06:51 PM

1,845 posts, read 1,499,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
This guy is really talking about living in the wild and growing food… while homeless. How many homeless farmers do you know?
Agriculture was invented for a reason! It is easy to grow your own food if you have the seeds for it. If you know how to hunt or fish and possess good hunting or fishing equipment, then go for it. My brother's friend has a father who always killed deer near their backyard for meat. You do not need to own land to run a mini farm. There are many wooded areas in suburban North Jersey that are untouched and nobody will find you. The only thing about living in the wild is having shelter and access to making water clean or collecting rainfall. Homelessness is not all about either living in a big city, starving to death, because you cannot buy the food available or loitering in a McDonald's with the cheap food you can buy there. Some homeless people prefer a cabin in the woods. I would live in the wilderness of North Jersey if I was homeless without a car.

Biggest problem about being homeless in America is that you cannot just use any chunk of land and just live on it, because excuses like "loitering" or that "the government owns the land" can be used to kick you off the land, so being homeless is a constant escape from the law, while my parents were born in a tropical country and when people went poor, the poor lived off the land since the weather was warm and the country had very little sprawl compared to the US.

Old 01-15-2023, 06:51 PM

2,691 posts, read 1,204,463 times
If I am a man go to the shelter and get cleaned up. If I am a woman go to a church and beg for a room to sleep in for a few nights so I could keep clean and look for a job during the day.

Old 01-15-2023, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by staystill View Post
If I am a man go to the shelter and get cleaned up. If I am a woman go to a church and beg for a room to sleep in for a few nights so I could keep clean and look for a job during the day.
Reminds me of a woman in Fremont, CA who was homeless, but lived in her car due to cost of living and she was not on drugs and not crazy at all. She did not beg a church, but she parked in a church parking to live in her car and the church was nice enough to let her be there and I believed they gave her food and water. It was from a video on Youtube that I saw and people were feeling really bad for her in the comments saying she is not the average homeless you see in CA.

Old 01-17-2023, 08:57 AM

15,071 posts, read 10,126,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moshywilly View Post
Agriculture was invented for a reason! It is easy to grow your own food if you have the seeds for it. If you know how to hunt or fish and possess good hunting or fishing equipment, then go for it. My brother's friend has a father who always killed deer near their backyard for meat. You do not need to own land to run a mini farm. There are many wooded areas in suburban North Jersey that are untouched and nobody will find you. The only thing about living in the wild is having shelter and access to making water clean or collecting rainfall. Homelessness is not all about either living in a big city, starving to death, because you cannot buy the food available or loitering in a McDonald's with the cheap food you can buy there. Some homeless people prefer a cabin in the woods. I would live in the wilderness of North Jersey if I was homeless without a car.

Biggest problem about being homeless in America is that you cannot just use any chunk of land and just live on it, because excuses like "loitering" or that "the government owns the land" can be used to kick you off the land, so being homeless is a constant escape from the law, while my parents were born in a tropical country and when people went poor, the poor lived off the land since the weather was warm and the country had very little sprawl compared to the US.
All fine and dandy. If you put your limited resources in establishing sustainable living in the wild, then you will be perpetually homeless. I would assume the OP's context is that homelessness is a temporary situation not a permanent one.

Each and every decision and resource used while homeless should be put towards getting OUT of homelessness.

Old 01-17-2023, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
All fine and dandy. If you put your limited resources in establishing sustainable living in the wild, then you will be perpetually homeless. I would assume the OP's context is that homelessness is a temporary situation not a permanent one.

Each and every decision and resource used while homeless should be put towards getting OUT of homelessness.
I agree, getting out of homelessness is the thing to be concerned about if the homelessness is planned to be temporary. Internet to research and apply for jobs is a necessity, so it is not the best idea to be too far out from civilization where mobile data cannot reach and plus you can loiter in a McDonald's for wifi while buying cheap food. Also, it is best to be close to civilization if you want to beg for a retail job to get money. Yeah living in the wild with shelter, a solar generator, and a micromobility vehicle is more of a permanent thing, but it is doable in the woods of suburban North Jersey where regular humans or cops will never step foot or find out you live there.

Old 01-18-2023, 04:24 PM

15,071 posts, read 10,126,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moshywilly View Post
I agree, getting out of homelessness is the thing to be concerned about if the homelessness is planned to be temporary. Internet to research and apply for jobs is a necessity, so it is not the best idea to be too far out from civilization where mobile data cannot reach and plus you can loiter in a McDonald's for wifi while buying cheap food. Also, it is best to be close to civilization if you want to beg for a retail job to get money. Yeah living in the wild with shelter, a solar generator, and a micromobility vehicle is more of a permanent thing, but it is doable in the woods of suburban North Jersey where regular humans or cops will never step foot or find out you live there.
I actually know one guy who lives out in the woods. Been doing this for many years. He isn't sustaining in the woods though. He also does have a job albeit a low paying one. He basically spends the daytime and nighttime camping out but uses the local fitness center (he has a membership) to cleanup and work out, and other other establishents to meet his needs. I think he doesn't seem to think paying rent and such carries much value to him. The first time he asked for a ride home from the local bar, I was kinda surprised. He had me pull over just before some old train tracks, said thanks, and proceeded to walk into the night along the tracks. I was like "huh?". He clarified the next time I ran into him.... seems happy enough... or at least content. Showed me pictures of his camp. Cooking area, an area outhouse, rather large canvas tent, and some beach folding chairs around what looks like a firepit. He has a smart phone that a friend of his pays to pass the times. He is in an area that is walking distance to a lot of places to get stuff (Walmart) and anywhere else he either calls friends for rides or pays for uber.

So while technically "homeless" he certainly has made an unconventional home out there. He gave me a lot of tips on how to get buy real cheap

Old 01-18-2023, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
I actually know one guy who lives out in the woods. Been doing this for many years. He isn't sustaining in the woods though. He also does have a job albeit a low paying one. He basically spends the daytime and nighttime camping out but uses the local fitness center (he has a membership) to cleanup and work out, and other other establishents to meet his needs. I think he doesn't seem to think paying rent and such carries much value to him. The first time he asked for a ride home from the local bar, I was kinda surprised. He had me pull over just before some old train tracks, said thanks, and proceeded to walk into the night along the tracks. I was like "huh?". He clarified the next time I ran into him.... seems happy enough... or at least content. Showed me pictures of his camp. Cooking area, an area outhouse, rather large canvas tent, and some beach folding chairs around what looks like a firepit. He has a smart phone that a friend of his pays to pass the times. He is in an area that is walking distance to a lot of places to get stuff (Walmart) and anywhere else he either calls friends for rides or pays for uber.

So while technically "homeless" he certainly has made an unconventional home out there. He gave me a lot of tips on how to get buy real cheap
He definitely sounds like he was saving a lot of money by not having to worry about a place to rent. Some people who are homeless or are near homeless have to save money so they can pay for an RV to live in, so being poor, homeless, and/or unemployed is a job of its own. He must have had enough money to drink at a bar and pay for potentially expensive Uber rides.

I would have done the same as him Not sure how fast food can grow in a NJ winter, but I would save my money while being homeless if I can grow my own food and use a solar generator. So the only recurring bills I would really need to pay is a Planet Fitness membership to get running water for a nice shower, mobile data bill for internet, lighters / matches for a campfire. All of this is doable.

Old 01-19-2023, 10:04 PM

4,035 posts, read 3,656,230 times
Unless you have a disability or an addiction, I don’t see how it’s possible to be homeless. Even if I was unemployed and penniless, I would max out every credit card I own on hotel rooms before I spend one day on the street.

Old 01-20-2023, 06:40 AM

1,387 posts, read 4,020,495 times
Is it just me, or is homelessness on the rise in NJ? Growing up, it was mostly an inner-city issue. Family and friends tell me it’s becoming a problem in towns like Clifton and Lyndhurst. I also hear tent settlements are allegedly popping up in the woods in Central and South Jersey…
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey