Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2023, 10:18 PM

1,845 posts, read 1,493,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busch Boy View Post
Lyndhurst and Clifton are inner-ring blue collar middle class suburbs. They never were Ridgewood or Short Hills, but they’re also not Paterson or Newark. So I was shocked to hear homeless people are trashing the libraries and living alongside the river or highway there. Same with what you just said about Cedar Knoll.

I guess NJ’s goal is to really be the CA of the East Coast…
I still think they have an urban look on Google Maps. There are dense suburbs that look nothing like Lyndhurst and Clifton. Also, those two towns are right next to NYC, so I am not surprised why unwanted people would hang around that part of NJ.

I live in CA myself. Urban NJ is definitely worse and more dangerous than the Bay Area in my opinion. NJ and FL were always the CA of the East Coast, they are both heavily populated and crowded, but at least NJ has mellow small suburban towns, unlike CA and FL where those two states have no regular suburbs and they have "suburban cities", which attracts crime and crazy homeless people. NJ is laid out very differently than where I live CA. Even outside the Bay Area and L.A. area of CA, every municipality is built and laid out to look more like a city rather than a mellow NJ town.

With the politics of NJ being different than CA, anything in North Jersey west of Wayne is not going to become CA especially that NJ does not have that urban layout like most of California. With the Willowbrook Mall in Wayne, I see "no panhandling signs" outside the old Sears, so I guess Wayne could be CA in its future.

My mom grew up in CA in the 70s and 80s when the Bay Area city that I live in once had a charming suburban appeal to it. She watched it grow a little overtime and it eventually turned into a city, but after she moved to NJ and came back to visit, she saw the library change and saw crazy homeless people coming to this Bay Area city in droves. When she lived in CA, there was a homeless camp on an open space forming near a residential area before the space was fenced off, but she was never scared, because the Bay Area city had no crime or mentally ill homeless people at that time.

Now CA as a state was designed to hold these unwanted people, while NJ was built differently and NJ does not have a Mediterranean climate to attract mentally ill homeless people who scream and make dumb noises to themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2023, 10:09 AM

15,074 posts, read 10,105,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
Unless you have a disability or an addiction, I don’t see how it’s possible to be homeless. Even if I was unemployed and penniless, I would max out every credit card I own on hotel rooms before I spend one day on the street.
Bad advice. When you eventually get to the point you have an income to afford rent, your bad credit history will result in landlords turning you away due to bad credit.

Old 01-23-2023, 10:46 AM

4,029 posts, read 3,639,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
Bad advice. When you eventually get to the point you have an income to afford rent, your bad credit history will result in landlords turning you away due to bad credit.

So you would choose homelessness over bad credit?

Old 01-25-2023, 11:25 AM

Quote:
So you would choose homelessness over bad credit?
Yes. Living in a hotel room is still homelessness.... yeah you have a roof over your head but it is only short-term day-to-day at a very high cost. Furthermore, you will very quickly burn through your cash reserves (OP's premise is $3000) which will in turn make it difficult to maintain mobility, food, and be presentable for the job search and access to other resources.

See my previous post regarding....

When you are homeless every resource and action/decision you make should be towards the direction of getting out of homelessness. You will have a difficult time finding affordable housing with bad credit thus perpetuating homelessness.

Old 01-25-2023, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Yes. Living in a hotel room is still homelessness.... yeah you have a roof over your head but it is only short-term day-to-day at a very high cost. Furthermore, you will very quickly burn through your cash reserves (OP's premise is $3000) which will in turn make it difficult to maintain mobility, food, and be presentable for the job search and access to other resources.

See my previous post regarding....

When you are homeless every resource and action/decision you make should be towards the direction of getting out of homelessness. You will have a difficult time finding affordable housing with bad credit thus perpetuating homelessness.

Do you think people who are homeless have good credit right before they become homeless?

I took the OP to mean that someone was kicked out of where they were living and had nowhere to go. OP didn’t even say they were unemployed. Under those circumstances I would stay at a hotel, motel, or extended stay place until I could put together enough money to rent a place on my own. I would work any 9-5 I could find and drive Uber after that. I’ll repeat my statement that except for addicts, the mentally ill, or the physically disabled, homelessness is a choice (I feel like Kanye as I typed that).

But hey if you’d rather sleep on a park bench to save that $3000 that’s your choice.

Old 01-26-2023, 07:58 PM

Unemployed or employed. Bad credit will make it very difficult to find affordable housing. Certainly more difficult to get out of homelessness. Stil bad advice. Every decision annd resource should be put towards getting out of homelessness.
Hotels are a horrible value.

Not sure what your point is...

Old 01-27-2023, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Unemployed or employed. Bad credit will make it very difficult to find affordable housing. Certainly more difficult to get out of homelessness. Stil bad advice. Every decision annd resource should be put towards getting out of homelessness.
Hotels are a horrible value.

Not sure what your point is...
My point is simple: I would avoid being homeless (living on the street) at all costs. That includes living in a hotel even if I had to put it on credit cards.

You’ve clearly stated what you WON’T do in this scenario. What would you actually do?

Old 01-28-2023, 10:13 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,097,759 times
Quote:
My point is simple: I would avoid being homeless (living on the street) at all costs. That includes living in a hotel even if I had to put it on credit cards.

You’ve clearly stated what you WON’T do in this scenario. What would you actually do?
If I was in that situation, I would absolutely use every form of credit card, credit, and borrow available to me.

Two of my girlfriends have declared bankruptcy and have not had very many things taken away from them.

One was able to buy a pretty nice house as a sole buyer.

Both were able to finance various forms of housing, cars, other credit cards, etc.

I would almost go as far as to say, it's an American right to use credit as a ... safety net.

Old 01-29-2023, 12:07 AM

3,410 posts, read 4,468,414 times
Not well thought out and mostly a joke, but something worth considering.

#1 Leave your passport and valuable documents in a safe deposit box and your clothing in storage.
#2 Present yourself with an accent at the southern border as an asylum seeker.
#3 Get a ride on one of George Abbot's busses to NYC.
#5 Let NYC shack you up in a hotel or one of the facilities they built for asylum seekers. They're actually pretty nice. I doubt they'll be able to move you out once you are in there.
#6 Go job hunting
#7 Move out once employment has started and you've gotten a couple of pay checks. You should be able to rent a room somewhere near a train or bus line from someone who doesn't do credit checks. They go for under $1k.

Old 01-29-2023, 10:29 AM

9,007 posts, read 13,841,954 times
I just thought of something else. If you are patient and love working with the elderly. AND have a clean criminal record and drug free.
OP could take $700,become a Certified Home Health Aide,and work Live -in cases with elderly clients. Most do not have dementia but some sort of physical ailment. It is a job I would love. They provide a bed,and a tv in a private bedroom. You are not on duty for the whole day. Maybe 7am to 9pm. You cook and clean,and help with ADLs. Some just need a companion to talk to. Did I mention you are getting paid? I was a supervisor for live in aides for two years. So this is how I know this information.

You would have somewhere to live,eat,and sleep. AND you will be working. Knocks out 3 stones in 1.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey