Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2023, 07:23 AM

4,031 posts, read 3,646,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristinas_Cap View Post
yeah, I am sure there are lots of qualified applicants lined up to take that position and can start immediately hitting the ground running. They probably don’t even need to be screened or their background checked, or even interviewed. the hiring process can take five minutes, certainly not months to find the right candidate. I know I’m not gonna convince you, but this seems to be problematic all throughout society where the top person leaves at the slightest hint of a bad situation. To me, it is the ultimate cowardly act. If you make decisions in a position of leadership, you should stand by them and defend what you did unless you’re just a horrible leader and have no idea what you’re doing or have no desire to learn from mistakes and grow as a person

By this logic nobody should lose their job ever. No matter how big you screwed up, you need to stay on board and fix it. Got it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2023, 07:37 AM

1,146 posts, read 862,689 times
I am just confused why all the heat is aimed at the Superintendent. Initially I read that the school principal IGNORED previous bullying reports and failed to even report the felony assault against that poor girl in the hallway to authorities. It was basically swept under the rug until the suicide. Subsequently, then all attention skipped over the Principal (who failed to take the obvious proper action). Or did the Principal actually forward the incident report to the Superintendent instead of the police, and the Superintendent just did nothing about it?? From all the news reports on this incident I read, it seems too many details are missing to determine what happened to the initial report on the felony assault. It was NOT reported to the police initially as it should, but what did happen as soon as the Principal was made aware of the felony that occurred in his school? Why are there no charges against the school Principal or VP for child endangerment since they failed to report it to the police and/or keep all children safe while in school? This is why I am confused why the Superintendent was the one who seemed to accept blame and took the cowardly way out and resigned, as if he already seemed to think he was going to be fired anyway? Lots of unanswered questions remain.

Old 02-14-2023, 07:59 AM

7,387 posts, read 3,542,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
By this logic nobody should lose their job ever. No matter how big you screwed up, you need to stay on board and fix it. Got it.
he didn’t lose his job, he quit which exempts him from many uncomfortable things. It would be a totally different situation if the Board of Education fired him, but that never will even happen because he quit.

Old 02-14-2023, 09:59 AM

23,568 posts, read 17,245,407 times
Bullying programs????

The good kids get to go to these programs.

forget the school admin to figure it out. ask the kids who the bullys are. Ask the kids which classmates will probably end up in jail. that is the quickest way to find and address bullys.

These days the admins are unable or refuse to distinguish between typical teasing and actual bullying. Misuse of a pronoun might be considered bullying. a distinction must be made!

bullys come in individuals and in packs.

While searching out bullys, a simultaneous search might uncover the most vulnerable kids to coach.

total protection fails to prepare kids for self esteem..... some uncomfortable situations are required to develop self security.

Old 02-14-2023, 11:26 AM

50,829 posts, read 36,538,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
Things are different today with social media. It’s one thing getting pushed around at school, but then to have to have to relive it over with kids teasing you online takes it to another level.
That's exactly it. I was bullied too, but when I got home I was safe. This video of her getting beat was seen by thousands, with many continuing the bullying from there. She was relentlessly mocked and derided online in the days following the beating. She didn't kill herself after the beating, she killed herself after days of online threats and smears and attacks and humiliation online, after the video got posted. People forget I think, of how dramatic everything feels at age 14.

Anyone who is of my generation who says "we took it cause we were tougher than kids today" doesn't know what they're talking about. We never had to deal with anything like what bullied kids today deal with. Bullying is 24 hours a day now, and follows you even if you change schools.

Old 02-14-2023, 11:33 AM

50,829 posts, read 36,538,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njrebel1978 View Post
I am just confused why all the heat is aimed at the Superintendent. Initially I read that the school principal IGNORED previous bullying reports and failed to even report the felony assault against that poor girl in the hallway to authorities. It was basically swept under the rug until the suicide. Subsequently, then all attention skipped over the Principal (who failed to take the obvious proper action). Or did the Principal actually forward the incident report to the Superintendent instead of the police, and the Superintendent just did nothing about it?? From all the news reports on this incident I read, it seems too many details are missing to determine what happened to the initial report on the felony assault. It was NOT reported to the police initially as it should, but what did happen as soon as the Principal was made aware of the felony that occurred in his school? Why are there no charges against the school Principal or VP for child endangerment since they failed to report it to the police and/or keep all children safe while in school? This is why I am confused why the Superintendent was the one who seemed to accept blame and took the cowardly way out and resigned, as if he already seemed to think he was going to be fired anyway? Lots of unanswered questions remain.
The superintendent suggested many things in interviews that he should not have said. He told news outlets that her mother killed herself because her father was having an affair, and that after the suicide his father married the mistress and moved her into the house. He had absolutely no business putting that personal information out there, let alone implying the reasons for her suicide were about that and not her bullying at school. He also suggested maybe she was on drugs.

Old 02-14-2023, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristinas_Cap View Post
he didn’t lose his job, he quit which exempts him from many uncomfortable things. It would be a totally different situation if the Board of Education fired him, but that never will even happen because he quit.

You seem to not be aware that people are sometimes asked to resign from a position.

Old 02-14-2023, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njrebel1978 View Post

I don’t know who the blame should fall on. There aren’t enough details out that we’re aware of. I just know that when a death if involved that could have been avoided by addressing prior complaints, there needs to be some accountability.

Old 02-14-2023, 12:39 PM

19,138 posts, read 25,349,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
The superintendent suggested many things in interviews that he should not have said. He told news outlets that her mother killed herself because her father was having an affair, and that after the suicide his father married the mistress and moved her into the house. He had absolutely no business putting that personal information out there, let alone implying the reasons for her suicide were about that and not her bullying at school. He also suggested maybe she was on drugs.
+1
The (former) Superintendent's statements were both inappropriate and extremely insensitive.

Old 02-14-2023, 01:16 PM

781 posts, read 508,363 times
Bullying today is more intense, and with the internet, it's 24/7. It may sound simplistic, but I pretty much learned all I needed to know on the first grade playground. Who will try to bully me, and who will be my friend, and all the neutrals, too. I had a few scuffles in school, nothing serious though. In the army, I had two incidents in three years and I came out on top in both of them. My son's first week of high school, some guy tried to bogart in front of him at the drinking fountain. My son dotted his eye, and got a three-day suspension for it, but he was never hassled again. Just sayin'... My daughter had a couple of incidents in her school career, but she was so much smarter than the bullies she was always able to defuse any situation that came up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey